Got any old gift cards?

Old February 17th 05, 05:10 AM
Mystified One

Default Got any old gift cards?

DSS keeps getting gift cards from his mother's family. They promise him
huge amounts are on the card, and when he goes to the store, the amount on
the card is significantly lower than what was promised.

The worst one was a movie card he got from them. Promised on it was $20,
and he kept bugging us to take him to the theater. When we finally went, he
wanted to pay our admission with it. I told him no, we'd pay admission, he
could use it for snacks. Turns out there was a dollar on it. A DOLLAR!!!
It's not that big of a deal for us, we went ahead and paid his way. But it
was a huge disappointment for him. It's just rotten that they keep doing
this.

They just did it again with a visa gift card. He made a fit to get us to
take him to the store so he could spend it. It wasn't as much of a
difference this time, but it wasn't enough for him to buy what he wanted.

If you've got some old gift cards with nothing left on them, I'd love to
send them to his grandparents. I just want to teach them a lesson, although
I doubt they'd get the message. I just want to get some aggressions out.
Maybe I'll promise them there's $100 on each card.

Old February 17th 05, 05:20 AM
maryd

sure..... email me just in case I can't find your snail mail in the morning.

--
Mary
"Mystified One" wrote in message
: Are you coming to my rescue once again? You are my hero, Mary!
:
: "maryd" wrote in message
: ...
: I've got one for Target with 3 pennies left on it. eg
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
: "Mystified One" wrote in message
: ...
: :

Old February 17th 05, 05:31 AM
Mystified One

DH is considering hanging condoms on their car antennas. Just a small
reminder that maybe they were so stupid they shouldn't have bred!

In all honesty, I think they're looking for a way to gain custody. They
refuse to accept that they had any role in placing that boy at risk, knowing
full well what his mother and her bf were doing to him. We have the proof.

"maryd" wrote in message
sure..... email me just in case I can't find your snail mail in the
morning.

--
Mary
"Mystified One" wrote in message
: Are you coming to my rescue once again? You are my hero, Mary!
:
: ...

Old February 17th 05, 07:20 AM
Joanna

In their defense some of these places charge a fee, or charge a fee
after a certain period of time if the card is not used. You must read
the fine print. One I know for sure that doesn't do this is walmart. But
if your relatives are doing this on purpose giving them an empty card
back would be the nicest thing I could think of...
Joanna

Mystified One wrote:
[...]

Remove Quilt to reply

Old February 17th 05, 11:25 AM
Jeri

Mystified One wrote:
it's happened a few too many times to be an accident.

What an awful thing to do!!
There's usually a toll free number on the back of gift cards so you can find
out how much is left. Having a card with less than he thought will still be
a disappointment but at least he won't go to the store thinking he has more
to spend than he actually has.

I'd be very tempted to return the next one that has less than what it claims
with a note that says there's been a mistake they should really look into.
Someone is ripping them off because the card says it has $X when it really
only has $Y.

Old February 17th 05, 12:00 PM
Michelle in Gander

Actually WalMart does do this, but it's not very expensive. The gift cards
are free to load, but you have to start using it within two years or they
start losing a dollar a month until all the money is gone. As long as you
don't let 24 months without activity go by, your card doesn't lose any
money.
A nice thing about those cards, though, is you can check the "history" of
the card. The cashier (or courtesy desk associate) should be able to tell
you when it was loaded and with how much, and if there was any activity on
it before you received it.
HTH!
Michelle in Gander
(your friendly courtesy desk associate)

Old February 17th 05, 06:26 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
So, you want to be as tacky as the rest of the family? And lie, too?
Why not just tell them how disappointed and embarrassed the guy was
when he went to use the cards? Since it's a habit now,
why not check the amount on the card before any spending is planned?
Might also tell them that quilt shops give gifts cards, too. g

Ragmop/Sandy -- remembering when my kids got magazine subscription
gifts from grandparents-- how exciting is a blow-up globe? or
a plastic "free" radio? We learned to laugh about it.