Quilter's Complete Guide

Old September 9th 03, 02:31 AM
melinda

Default Quilter's Complete Guide

....by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter, should I buy this book?

At AU$60 I'm tempted, if it's the "essential reference" and
"invaluble guide" it claims to be.
--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 9th 03, 02:35 AM
Ann Adamson

It's a great book, and I refer back to it a lot, so I think it's
worthwhile to have, but I can't comment on the price at AU$60 cause I
just have no idea how much that is in US$!

Old September 9th 03, 02:41 AM
Lisa Ellis

melinda wrote:

...by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter, should I buy this book?

At AU$60 I'm tempted, if it's the "essential reference" and
"invaluble guide" it claims to be.

Approximately $39.74. I use the website below for currency conversions.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

lisae

Old September 9th 03, 03:37 AM
Sandy Foster

In article 1063070721.485115@webserver,
melinda wrote:

...by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter, should I buy this book?

At AU$60 I'm tempted, if it's the "essential reference" and
"invaluble guide" it claims to be.

It's a great book -- lots of wonderful information. Only you can decide
if it's worth the cost, though.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old September 9th 03, 03:54 AM
Sk8eraunt

Quilter's Complete Guide is the very first quilting book I bought. A woman at
my quilting group refers to it as "the quilter's Bible." It cost $22.95, and
I used my 50% coupon at JoAnns. Gotta love those coupons!

kaila
Old September 9th 03, 04:16 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
That's too expensive (even full-price in U.S. dollars).
Check it out at one of the discount book shops on-line.
I bought mine for $1, new, at a book sale, after selling
them for a couple of years at the lqs. I've never used it.
Maybe we could strike a deal: you send me your addy in
private and I send you this still-new copy of QCG.
One of the books I still recommend for an "essential reference"
is "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts", by Diana McClun & Laura Nownes;
much more useable, imo, and it just makes more sense. g
You can check it out at Barnes&Noble, Amazon, etc. to get
an idea of what's included (basics and good patterns).
My all-time favorite, tho',
is "The It's Okay If You Sit on My Quilt Book"
by Mary Ellen Hopkins.
http://www.maryellenhopkins.com/
Ragmop/Sandy

Old September 9th 03, 05:51 AM
Sharon Harper

Yes, Yes, YES!!!!! I love it and use it regular. Like every time I do
binding. Like when I wanna make different things. It is so well used it
falls open at the binding page!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old September 9th 03, 06:17 AM
Jalynne

YES. this is the first book i bought, and I will never regret it. Great book for
beginners and experienced quilters alike.
--
Jalynne

Old September 9th 03, 08:07 AM
Carol Wolfe

Yes, get the book! It's one of the first I bought when I started
quilting and I use it a lot for reference. Plus, Liz and Marianne's
quilt shop is only about a 2 hour drive from my house and they
autographed my book. (Plus a few others I've picked up in their shop).
If any of you are in the Winterset IA area (Bridges of Madison County
and home of John Wayne) please be sure to stop in their quilt shop. One
of them is usually at the shop and they are a joy to talk to. Just
regular folk! Anyway, get the book. You will use it a lot, I promise.
Carol

Old September 9th 03, 12:20 PM
Elena

I wanted to mention a tip again, about well-used books. You can take them
to your local office supply place (that has a copy center) or a good copy
store, and ask for them to spiral bind your book. They will shave off the
glued spine and hole punch the book, then insert a spiral. The book now
lays flat, much better for laying on a copy machine, or just staying open
when you need to look at a picture and three hands to do what it's talking
about!
You need to decide though if you want to lose the spine, which means
you can't identify it in the bookshelf any more. ( I have four done this
way... I know LOL ) Also make sure the pages have enough margin for the
holes to be punched. I've never seen one that doesn't though.

HTH,
Elena in Tx

u...