How did you learn to bead?

Old March 18th 04, 12:21 AM
Pandi

Default How did you learn to bead?

What is the best way to learn to make jewerly? I know it's probably
different for each person but do you prefer magazines, books or actual
hands-on classes?

Old March 18th 04, 12:53 AM
starlia

I have ADHD and a short fuse with folks who don't pay attention to
instruction so I don't do classes well. I prefer to learn on my own, but
I'm very visual and books don't always do it for me. I took several classes
at my LBS which were wonderful. They were short enough that no one really
got on that last nerve and had a small enough class for extra attention if
needed.

Once I got the basics down (basic wirework, beginning looming, some other
off loom weaving) I was able to pick up books. However, I had to have the
visuals first in order to "get it."

If they had everything on DVD that would be my preference. I can pause,
back up, forward, go potty, and start all over again. I want DVDs because I
have two portable players and three on TVs in the house. I like being
portable as well. Works great when I'm trying to learn a technique sitting
on the couch while DH watches tv.

If you can get into a group they often offer hands on help or challenges. I
love challenges because they push my comfort zones and often push into a
whole new realm I hadn't even thought possible. We are doing a bracelet
swap if you want to join in. It's your choice what to do with any type of
medium.

Old March 18th 04, 01:15 AM
Dr. Sooz

What is the best way to learn to make jewerly? I know it's probably
different for each person but do you prefer magazines, books or actual
hands-on classes?

It is widely different from person to person. It depends on how you learn
best.

I prefer classes, then books to widen my skills in the same general areas I've
taken the classes in.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 18th 04, 01:21 AM
Dr. Sooz

Oh, and by saying I prefer classes, it includes having anyone show me. And
work it through with me. I don't necessarily need a class set-up.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Christina Peterson

Me too. Classes or a teacher. A school would also be cool.

But classes also present a difficulty for me. I am a kinetic learner and I
don't work as well with audio/video as 95% of people do. And I have less
than average both manual and digital dexterity, "but still within normal
range". So I work slower than other people with my experience. I drop
things a lot, etc.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
What is the best way to learn to make jewerly? I know it's probably
different for each person but do you prefer magazines, books or actual
hands-on classes?

It is widely different from person to person. It depends on how you learn
best.

I prefer classes, then books to widen my skills in the same general areas

I've
taken the classes in.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 18th 04, 03:04 AM
mkahogan

It depends on the complexity of the beading. I work with mostly larger
beads, so I did not have to learn stitches. I just looked at lots of
magazines, asked lots of questions here and practiced. I learned to trust
my eye.
KathyH

Old March 18th 04, 03:21 AM
Valerie2

I actually was doing it on my own to begin with...when I was younger,
I'd string my grandmother's beads onto plain string if they broke...but
in August last year I took the beginning beading class at my local bead
store. I've since taken the mini-wire and knotting class. Having
someone show me how to do it right and being able to have help works the
best for me. The knotting class I just took last Wednesday, and I was
doing it backwards...I kept wondering why I was getting tangled. Then
the instructor showed me that I was doing it wrong and showed me exactly
how to do it.

Valerie

Old March 18th 04, 03:27 AM
starlia

Do you think the class helped a lot with your knotting? I'm interested in
taking a knotting class myself and wanted to know what you guys covered.
How long was the class? What kind of projects did you do?

ink.net...

Old March 18th 04, 04:59 AM
roxan

Start with something simple that you would love to wear. Start with earrings
since they are simple to make or a simple necklace. There are a lot of good
articles in Bead & Button and other good bead magazines. I am totally self
taught from books, magazines, internet search for patterns, and by trial and
error.
Roxan

Old March 18th 04, 06:17 AM
Valerie2

The class definately helped with my knotting...I had no clue how to
really knot before I took it! I could make a single overhand knot, but
that was about it. The class was 2 1/2 - 3 hours and we made a
bracelet. The class covered how to knot, use of clam shells, how to get
the knot in the clam shell, using a thread burner (we used Griffin in
the class, and it's what the store sells), and how to get the knot right
up against the bead/pearl. It definately helped me, because I even
after she demonstrated, I was doing it backwards...instead of putting
the short tail into the knot, I was putting the long end in and getting
all tangled up! *L* I kept thinking "why am I getting all tangled here??!"

Valerie

starlia wrote:
Do you think the class helped a lot with your knotting? I'm interested in
taking a knotting class myself and wanted to know what you guys covered.
How long was the class? What kind of projects did you do?

ink.net...