Yet another eyelash question

Old November 7th 03, 12:06 PM
Kirsten Procter

Default Yet another eyelash question

If I'm knitting eyelash legwarmers, would it be a good idea to do the
ribbing for top and bottom in a differetn yarn, or will the ribbing
stretch just as much in the eyelash yarn?

I suppose I could make the gloves I was planning to make and
see how they work, but I thought y'all might have some advice

(fingerless
gloves so that when I'm in what my fiance calls 'my shed' I can type in
comfort. It's not really a shed, it#'s attached to the house and even has
a bed in, but it mostly has my computer and my stash in... and it's sort
of outlying so difficult to heat.)

Kirsten
--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
Current projects; full-length dress with matching jacket, child's jumper,
Old November 7th 03, 12:19 PM
georg

Kirsten Procter wrote:

If I'm knitting eyelash legwarmers, would it be a good idea to do the
ribbing for top and bottom in a differetn yarn, or will the ribbing
stretch just as much in the eyelash yarn?

I suppose I could make the gloves I was planning to make and
see how they work, but I thought y'all might have some advice

(fingerless
gloves so that when I'm in what my fiance calls 'my shed' I can type in
comfort. It's not really a shed, it#'s attached to the house and even has
a bed in, but it mostly has my computer and my stash in... and it's sort
of outlying so difficult to heat.)

Kirsten

Do you have a pattern for fingerless gloves or advice on how to do them?
I'd love to make a pair for myself.

-georg

Old November 7th 03, 12:23 PM
SlinkyToy

I'd at least carry along something with a memory (wool?). All the
eyelash I've encountered has been nylon stuff that would probably not
make a good rib.

Old November 7th 03, 12:57 PM
Kirsten Procter

In article ,
georg wrote:
Kirsten Procter wrote:

(fingerless
gloves so that when I'm in what my fiance calls 'my shed' I can type in
comfort. It's not really a shed, it#'s attached to the house and even has
a bed in, but it mostly has my computer and my stash in... and it's sort
of outlying so difficult to heat.)

Do you have a pattern for fingerless gloves or advice on how to do them?
I'd love to make a pair for myself.

I have a pattern I think I got from a charity shop; it's got gloves,
fingerless and mittens for a range of sizes, but I don't have it to hand
right now. There are plenty of patterns on the web, though, if you don't
mind using dpns. I was a bit scared of them, but once I tried them, found
they're really easy to deal with.

Old November 7th 03, 01:25 PM
georg

Kirsten Procter wrote:

I have a pattern I think I got from a charity shop; it's got gloves,
fingerless and mittens for a range of sizes, but I don't have it to hand
right now. There are plenty of patterns on the web, though, if you don't
mind using dpns. I was a bit scared of them, but once I tried them, found
they're really easy to deal with.

I'll look. Thank you!

-georg

Old November 7th 03, 05:53 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:19:15 GMT, georg wrote:

Do you have a pattern for fingerless gloves or advice on how to do them?
I'd love to make a pair for myself.

-georg

There are fingerless gloves in the current issue of Interweave Knits and a
couple of the patterns are on-line at:
http://www.interweave.com/knit/inter...structions.pdf

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 7th 03, 06:31 PM
Stella Fenley

here is some sites for men's fingerless gloves and women's gloves
http://www.clearwaterknits.com/freepats/fgloves.html
http://home.inreach.com/marthac/fachion.html

http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/mens-...ess-gloves.htm
Http://www.csoswego.edu/~ebozak/knit...ss-gloves.html
these may help you . Stella

Old November 7th 03, 08:37 PM
Agres

The cod fishermen of old would take old wool socks that had felted, and just
cut them off at the heel, then cut another hole for the thumb. These were
known as "nippers". Nippers are surprisingly effective at keeping the hands
warm. I have a pair in my fishing bag that I take out and use for typing
when my office gets real cold.

A different solution would be to place a heat lamp over the key board set to
just warm the hands.

Aaron

Old November 7th 03, 11:19 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:37:12 GMT, "Agres" wrote:

The cod fishermen of old would take old wool socks that had felted, and just
cut them off at the heel, then cut another hole for the thumb. These were
known as "nippers". Nippers are surprisingly effective at keeping the hands
warm. I have a pair in my fishing bag that I take out and use for typing
when my office gets real cold.

Oh, this is great! Now I have a name for them. Thank you. I did that with a
pair of hand spun knee socks made on my sock machine once the heels got too
far gone for darning. I liked them so much, I started making them direct,
without the sock step, but still calling them arm socks or wristers,
depending on the length. Before that, I'd made short wristers on the flat
bed machine and by hand, with a rather larger thumb hole that was just a
matter of not seaming part of the side. I think wristers are normally just
simple bands; fingerless gloves usually have divisions at the fingers and
maybe a short cuff round the thumb. So from now on, "nippers" it is!

A different solution would be to place a heat lamp over the key board set to
just warm the hands.

The nice thing about the felted wristers and nippers is that you can make
them rather firm and snug-fitting, which provides a little support as well
as warmth. Helps remind you not to cock your wrists too much while typing!

Old November 8th 03, 01:39 AM
Angelicsong

I wonder if that's where they came up with 'little nippers' as a cute nick
name for 'childrenl'. As in 'I've got 3 little nippers at home'?

Melody

EQ5 Question teleflora Quilting 0 November 20th 04 06:18 PM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Eyelash questions Anna MCM Yarn 14 November 7th 03 03:57 AM