quilting design question

Old November 20th 03, 03:41 PM
K. Reece

Default quilting design question

I'm trying to decide what to do in the borders of a lap quilt I'm making.
It's a stack and slash and I quilted the main body of the quilt with a cross
hatch. It's got a narrow black inner border and the outer border isn't all
that wide and it's made from the same blocks as the body of the quilt. It's
too narrow to quilt a row of diamonds the same size as the cross hatching
in.

Any suggestions?

Kathy in Ks.

Old November 20th 03, 03:59 PM
frood

It sounds to me like you need something roundish or organic in shape to
contrast the angular lines of the piecing and the cross-hatch quilting.
Consider quilting both borders as one, perhaps in a Baptist fan design. Or
pumpkin seed variations. Or big loopy flowers.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old November 20th 03, 05:01 PM
K. Reece

The fabrics are the roundish and organic contrast. One of the fabrics is
black with bright red apples. There are two fabrics with leaves and the
other fabrics are tone on tone prints of flowers and leaves.

I really like the Baptist fan idea though. What is a pumpkin seed
variation? For that matter what does a pumpkin seed pattern look like?

Kathy in Ks.
m...

Old November 20th 03, 05:14 PM
frood

Pumpkin seed is a pointed oval. You can group them together, or run them end
to end (easy to machine quilt this way). Here's a stencil showing them
grouped. http://www.deebase.com/q/netcat/items/item174.htm

If your fabrics are organic, all the more reason to include some of those
same shapes into the quilting.

--

"K. Reece" wrote in message
The fabrics are the roundish and organic contrast. One of the fabrics is
black with bright red apples. There are two fabrics with leaves and the
other fabrics are tone on tone prints of flowers and leaves.

I really like the Baptist fan idea though. What is a pumpkin seed
variation? For that matter what does a pumpkin seed pattern look like?

Kathy in Ks.
m...

Old November 20th 03, 05:16 PM
frood

Ooo! Don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about? G

Old November 20th 03, 05:38 PM
K. Reece

Oooooooo, I really like that design. The size could easily be adjusted to
fit too. I just measured and the outer border is only going to be about 2
1/4 inches after the binding is put on. Maybe it's narrow enough it doesn't
need quilting?

Kathy in Ks.
m...

"K. Reece" wrote in message
The fabrics are the roundish and organic contrast. One of the fabrics

is
black with bright red apples. There are two fabrics with leaves and the
other fabrics are tone on tone prints of flowers and leaves.

I really like the Baptist fan idea though. What is a pumpkin seed
variation? For that matter what does a pumpkin seed pattern look like?

Kathy in Ks.
m...

Old November 20th 03, 06:32 PM
Lisa Ellis

K. Reece wrote:
Oooooooo, I really like that design. The size could easily be adjusted to
fit too. I just measured and the outer border is only going to be about 2
1/4 inches after the binding is put on. Maybe it's narrow enough it doesn't
need quilting?

2 1/4 inches is just right for a narrow cable. Pumpkin seeds can easily
be adapted into a cable, which is just one oval after another, connected
at the pointy ends, making a chain or a cable.

I like more quilting, not less quilting. I'd quilt the border...

lisae

Old November 20th 03, 06:54 PM
Julia in MN

K. Reece wrote:

I just measured and the outer border is only going to be about 2 1/4 inches after the binding is put on. Maybe it's narrow enough it doesn't need quilting?

In general the closeness of the quilting should be pretty consistent over the entire quilt, so I think it depends on how closely the rest of the quilt is quilted. If your rows of crosshatching are that wide, I'd say you can skip quilting the border. Or maybe stitch in the ditch between the 2 borders. You don't want to quilt the borders a lot more closely than the center of the quilt or your quilt will hang funny.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 20th 03, 11:18 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
More cross-hatching in a smaller scale;
reflects the body of the quilt and says "I meant to do that."
Yes, quilt the border. ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy