"Lampwork Bead Collection 4 Breast Cancer"

Old October 12th 03, 07:06 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:04:45 -0500, MargieK
wrote:
Barbara, I felt the same way when Cheryl pointed out the BC auction on
JustBeads. As a survivor and a frequent contributor to the S.G. Komen
Foundation I would have loved to make something and contribute in that
manner. Instead I've asked for a very nice birthday present and have
a bid on Cheryl's beads.

So my dear, what is stopping any of us from doing similar next year?
I'd be willing to contribute, host and advertise or just contribute.
Cheryl????

A couple years back, a bunch of us on rec.crafts.professional
(back when the group was still active........) got off on a sock
monkey tangent while discussion the sludge that finds its way
into "fine art shows".
We ended up with a sock money make from the wool
spun and knitted by one member. Another made her
dress (we named the monkey Thessolonia Monk), a
couple of us made jewelry for her (that would also
fit her purchaser). Someone else made a chair for
her to sit in, another person a box for her to travel
in. Someone else painted the inside of the box
with a fireplace, etc.
In short, we all went nuts. We had a ball. She
was auctioned off at BMAC for CERF. The only
problem was that it was too much stuff in one
place! The silent auction prices just don't go that
high. It was great fun, though. And money was
raised for Cerf.
There was talk about doing SOS (**** on a stick).
You know, a upscale version of the tacky 1.00 items
you see at fairs. A nice bead on a stick = a hair stick.
A nice hunk of fused glass on a metal stick = a
garden stake. You get the picture.
It never got done. I could see it as a fund raiser
for any number of worthy causes..........
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Old October 17th 03, 05:45 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article 1065930570.502114@prawn,
"Christina Peterson" wrote:

I'll bet they have a mailing list.

Tina

Oh, I'll know to donate to this particular one next time, but in
general, I always seem to hear about various worthy endeavors too late
to contribute. I do try to donate my work to good causes whenever I can,
I just am not enough "in the know" to hear about stuff, most of the time.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe

Old October 17th 03, 05:46 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
Barbara Otterson wrote:

[...]

snort I LOVE SOS! Funny. I make lampwork hairsticks, I could donate!
We just need to find the cause.

--
-Kalera

---------

Old October 17th 03, 06:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh, I'll know to donate to this particular one next time, but in
general, I always seem to hear about various worthy endeavors too late
to contribute. I do try to donate my work to good causes whenever I can,
I just am not enough "in the know" to hear about stuff, most of the time.

Hey -- this is *RCB* -- I bet we could do one of these combo auctions
ourselves, for breast cancer, next October! Do you think we should start
planning it? You know, all of us have a project to donate, begin creating it
in our heads, and put it on our calendars? Doing the requisite documentation
(or whatever) in order to make it legit can be easily done. What do you say?

I think, being that we *are* RCB (with our healing vibes and such), we should
try to do things like this on a regular basis for various (but not a zillion)
charities. Like maybe 3 or 4 a year. I'd love to find an animal welfare or
wildlife preservation group we could donate to, also. What do you all think?
We are a generous, healing group, and it's right in line with our identity.

Life without giving is pretty barren. :-)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 17th 03, 06:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

snort I LOVE SOS! Funny. I make lampwork hairsticks, I could donate!
We just need to find the cause.

How about some animal-saving (domestic or wild) group? Find one that puts most
of its money toward the cause (instead of overhead), and isn't as well-funded
as most (i.e., really needs the money).
??????? :-)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 17th 03, 07:28 PM
Kandice Seeber

I would love to do this. I can donate some lampwork of course!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old October 17th 03, 08:22 PM
Carol in SLC

I think, being that we *are* RCB (with our healing vibes and such), we should
try to do things like this on a regular basis for various (but not a zillion)
charities.

FABULOUS, idea Sooz. I would like to suggest a possible cause, too. Best
Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah - they take all of the animals they can, and
they do NOT put pets to sleep. My daughter's school goes there every year and
the kids donate their time helping clean cages, etc.

Carol in SLC