Some additional questions

Old March 28th 04, 05:27 PM
Steve Lamb

Default Some additional questions

I would like to thank everyone once again for allowing me to post
questions here to assist my MIL with her new bead shop. I also
appreciate the generous responses to those questions. I plan to take
a class on business planning this term and may have some questions
later, but just a few more for now:

Which of the magazines are good at spotting or creating new trends?

Which magazines have the best new projects (and are good at taking
people step by step)?

If we involved others (local experts) to put on classes and
demonstrations, what would be a fair arrangement?

Do any of you do any co-marketing with a bead shop?

What can be made with beads? Besides jewelry, I've seen some pretty
creative stuff (clothing, pen wraps, barefoot sandals).

What's the most convenient day and time to shop or take classes?
Ginis'a is open 10-6 Tues - Sat. I've noticed a fair amount of
traffic comes in just before closing.

My wife has said that putting on a class outside of the shop would be
difficult, but I'm wondering if the attendees wouldn't rather go to
someone's home if the logistics can be figured out.

Lastly (for now), what could be added to her website -
www.giniasbeads.com - to make it more useful?

The shop has only been open for five months, and Virgina told me last
night that the number of customers is growing (slowly, but growing).
Since her husbad died four months ago, this has been just a huge
challenge. I hope you understand how much we appreciate your sharing
and how very thankful we are for your kind assistance in making this
venture suceed.

Steve
Old March 28th 04, 10:20 PM
Carla

Can I reply as a consumer, instead of a beading professional?

What's the most convenient day and time to shop or take classes?
Ginis'a is open 10-6 Tues - Sat. I've noticed a fair amount of
traffic comes in just before closing.

I do most of my bead shopping on the way home from work. The store is
almost always packed, so I guess a lot of other folks do, too. My LBS
is usually open until 7:00 p.m., and one night a week until 8:00.

My wife has said that putting on a class outside of the shop would be
difficult, but I'm wondering if the attendees wouldn't rather go to
someone's home if the logistics can be figured out.

I'd prefer taking a class in a store/shop - no kids, no pets, and plenty
of materials on hand, if needed; probably better lighting, seating and
table space, unless someone gives classes at home and has made
provisions for that.

The shop has only been open for five months, and Virgina told me last
night that the number of customers is growing (slowly, but growing).
Since her husbad died four months ago, this has been just a huge
challenge. I hope you understand how much we appreciate your sharing
and how very thankful we are for your kind assistance in making this
venture suceed.

Best of luck to your MIL.

Cheers,
Carla

Old March 28th 04, 11:33 PM
roxan

Which of the magazines are good at spotting or creating new trends?

Bead & Button is the best one for beading. Check out fashion magazines for
trends.

Which magazines have the best new projects (and are good at taking
people step by step)?

Bead and Button and Step by Step Bead projects are good for beginners.

If we involved others (local experts) to put on classes and
demonstrations, what would be a fair arrangement?

So much per person and a set fee for the workshop.

Do any of you do any co-marketing with a bead shop?

No since there isn't a bead shop with in 40 miles from me.

What can be made with beads? Besides jewelry, I've seen some pretty
creative stuff (clothing, pen wraps, barefoot sandals).

Holliday things like beading on eggs at Easter and Christmas balls.

What's the most convenient day and time to shop or take classes?
Ginis'a is open 10-6 Tues - Sat. I've noticed a fair amount of
traffic comes in just before closing.

I would think weekends for people who work.

My wife has said that putting on a class outside of the shop would be
difficult, but I'm wondering if the attendees wouldn't rather go to
someone's home if the logistics can be figured out.

This can still work out but then you lose the benefit of selling beads from
your store.

Roxan

Old March 29th 04, 05:32 AM
starlia

I'll give it a go based on my personal experience and expectations. I am
glad to know that you feel comfortable enough to ask us these questions.
Maybe more store owners would make a world of improvements if they did the
same thing.

Which of the magazines are good at spotting or creating new trends?

New trends in what? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but ladies read a
variety of magazines. I'm a Scientific America, National Geographic, and
any glass magazine type of girl. I do not read those other magazines
because they promote me no opportunities for brain growth. Therefore the
wrong girl to ask.

I do know that a lot of ideas come from the fashion magazines. Also, a lot
of television shows are great for the latest and greatest fashions and
jewelry.

Which magazines have the best new projects (and are good at taking
people step by step)?

Step by Step Beads is great, but not available in my area. I wish one of
the local book stores or bead stores would carry it. I don't want to
subscribe because I may not be interested in every issue. I only chose
issues which I think are interesting to me.

Bead & Button is always one of my favorites. It isn't so basic that it's
boring and they always have to die for creations showcased.

If we involved others (local experts) to put on classes and

demonstrations, what would be a fair arrangement?

Usually the bead folks have a day rate. It depends on the class and how
many folks you have attend at each time. I could go in further if you email
me.

Do any of you do any co-marketing with a bead shop?

No. Our LBS rapes every person going in, but they have awesome classes.

What can be made with beads? Besides jewelry, I've seen some pretty
creative stuff (clothing, pen wraps, barefoot sandals).

The question should be what can't be made with beads. Imagination and
creation are the ultimate!

What's the most convenient day and time to shop or take classes?
Ginis'a is open 10-6 Tues - Sat. I've noticed a fair amount of
traffic comes in just before closing.

All of my bead classes were between 7 and 10 pm on weeknights. On weekends
they were between 6-9 pm.

My wife has said that putting on a class outside of the shop would be
difficult, but I'm wondering if the attendees wouldn't rather go to
someone's home if the logistics can be figured out.

Not a good idea. Your attendees would probably be buying a lot of their
supplies in the store before or after the class. Too much money lost away
from the store.

Our LBS offers a 20% discount to anyone enrolled in a class until the class
is over. That way you can purchase up until the end of the class and still
get the 20% discount.

Lastly (for now), what could be added to her website -
www.giniasbeads.com - to make it more useful?

Don't have time to look, but I will tomorrow.

The shop has only been open for five months, and Virgina told me last
night that the number of customers is growing (slowly, but growing).
Since her husbad died four months ago, this has been just a huge
challenge. I hope you understand how much we appreciate your sharing
and how very thankful we are for your kind assistance in making this
venture suceed.

Steve

I wish your MIL all the success in the world. If you could, try to get some
bead celebrities to show up at the store for demonstrations. It will bring
a lot of foot traffic and get your store noticed.

Old March 29th 04, 10:16 AM
starlia

It really increases sales, especially since they are so dang expensive. I
usually only purchase beads if I'm in a class there. Occasionally I will go
to purchase some ss wire or clasp if I see something I like or am out of
wire. Otherwise I buy online. The only other choices we have here are
Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Our LBS blows them away with findings and bead
selection.

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "starlia"
:

]Our LBS offers a 20% discount to anyone enrolled in a class until the

class
]is over. That way you can purchase up until the end of the class and

still
]get the 20% discount.

wish mine would!!!!!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
I have so many pet peeves that they now qualify as a herd!
- Janet P - RAM

Old March 29th 04, 02:57 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Which of the magazines are good at spotting or creating new trends?

Bead & Button, Beadwork, Belle Armoire, Step by Step is OK. Bead Style is
good for beginners

Which magazines have the best new projects (and are good at taking
people step by step)?

See above. Belle Armoire is a bit more advanced, IMO.

If we involved others (local experts) to put on classes and
demonstrations, what would be a fair arrangement?

I used to get a portion of the class fee to cover my time. The other portion
went back to the bead store to cover supplies.

Do any of you do any co-marketing with a bead shop?

Meaning what? Sales by commission?

What can be made with beads? Besides jewelry, I've seen some pretty
creative stuff (clothing, pen wraps, barefoot sandals).

Lampshades, scrapbook charms, picture frames, decorative items with beads
and wire. Spend some time in a few different bookstores and see what's on
the shelves in the craft section.

What's the most convenient day and time to shop or take classes?
Ginis'a is open 10-6 Tues - Sat. I've noticed a fair amount of
traffic comes in just before closing.

Saturdays are good, as are 1 night a week.

My wife has said that putting on a class outside of the shop would be
difficult, but I'm wondering if the attendees wouldn't rather go to
someone's home if the logistics can be figured out.

No - classes in the shop mean sales after the class has ended. Esp. impulse
buys for folks that got caught up in the joy of creating a beaded item.

Lastly (for now), what could be added to her website -
www.giniasbeads.com - to make it more useful?

Lose the music - first off. It's annoying and amateurish web design.

You need better pictures - taking photos of a project on a cookie sheet is
horrible (sorry if I'm being too rough on you). Invest in or construct a
proper lighting/jewelry photo setup. It's worth it.

For the classes - list the supplies needed and an estimated cost to purchase
them in the description. Yes, you want to have folks buy them at the store,
but they need to know up front how much it will cost them. Ideally, include
the supplies in the cost of the class at your wholesale and offer 10-20% off
additional purchases the night of the class.

Old March 31st 04, 02:58 PM
Steve Lamb

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:20:26 GMT, Carla
wrote:

[...]

Thank you Carla for your kind advice.
Steve

Old March 31st 04, 02:59 PM
Steve Lamb

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:33:40 -0500, "roxan"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you Roxan.
Steve
Old March 31st 04, 03:03 PM
Steve Lamb

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:32:17 -0600, "starlia"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you Starlia for your kind suggestions. I will email you as a
follow-up to the "arrangement" question.
Steve
Old March 31st 04, 03:10 PM
Steve Lamb

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:57:42 -0500, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
wrote:

Do any of you do any co-marketing with a bead shop?

Meaning what? Sales by commission?

I'm not sure what I'm asking here except to learn if there are some
standard practices around bead makers (designers) co-marketing
(advertising, promoting) with a LBS.

Lastly (for now), what could be added to her website -
www.giniasbeads.com - to make it more useful?

Lose the music - first off. It's annoying and amateurish web design.

You need better pictures - taking photos of a project on a cookie sheet is
horrible (sorry if I'm being too rough on you). Invest in or construct a
proper lighting/jewelry photo setup. It's worth it.

For the classes - list the supplies needed and an estimated cost to purchase
them in the description. Yes, you want to have folks buy them at the store,
but they need to know up front how much it will cost them. Ideally, include
the supplies in the cost of the class at your wholesale and offer 10-20% off
additional purchases the night of the class.

I'm not offended at all, In fact, I really appreciate that you have
been kind enough to offer an honest assessment - because that is what
will help us in the long run. Thank you. You have been very helpful.
Steve

Couple of questions Greta Spring Beads 5 March 4th 04 07:47 PM
Silly Questions biig Beads 12 March 4th 04 06:25 AM
Sorta OT - Trademark/Copyright Questions for Art Works Jeff Edwards Beads 10 February 6th 04 06:29 PM
Introduction, & a couple questions about the group..... Kyla Beads 19 November 3rd 03 08:10 PM
AD and dumb questions from a newbie Nathalie Lebreux Beads 7 September 9th 03 09:45 PM