Anyone hate working with specific colors?

Old August 14th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Default Anyone hate working with specific colors?

I am just finishing up the last pair of earrings for a wedding I am doing, and I've come to the
realization that I hate working with the color red. Seriously though, when I stopped and looked at
my collection of jewelry that I've made, I really didn't have anything red - cept for some coral.
But, when I was contracted to do the wedding jewelry for my 2nd cousin and found out that the
bridesmaids are wearing red... well, I just about had a heart attack and almost turned it down.

Picture this... Bride is wearing the traditional white gown, the groom is wearing a black tux with
purple cummerbund and the bridesmaids are wearing red gowns. UUGH!! Now, here is the hard part:
these girls are early 20's, live and work in NY, NY and consider themselves cosmopolitan. This
translates to "NO PEARLS" cause these girls think pearls are only for older women. *shakes my head*
Gesh! Its not like I was going to string a bunch of pearls together like grandma would wear!!!

I make my jewelry with only sterling or fine silver, gem stones, pearls, and Swarovski crystals - in
what ever combination that works. If you think about it, what gem stone is red? Ruby? yep, but
rubies are usually that fuchsia type red. Garnet? yep, but garnet's are a deeper, darker, almost
maroon red. I needed a traditional red, not too dark and not too pink and not too light and I
didn't want to spend a lot of money on that muffler - err, I mean the jewelry components. Its not
like you really have a lot of beads to choose from in the red family now is it, and lets face it...
I couldn't use any of my red options cept for crystals but I didn't want to use just crystals alone.
When you are forced into a color... ya gotta use what ya gotta use. *sigh* I hate red!

Actually, I love the color red but I really hate working with it. It would have been a lot easier
if the girls were matching the groom and were wearing purple (any shade) cause there is so much to
choose from with purples. Anyone else have a color they hate working with???

Sterling

Old August 14th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

I would have to say that I agree with you on red. But my reason is that I
was born with red hair and my mother told me NEVER, EVER to wear red, so I
have a problem with it. And damn, I am over (pick a number, grin). I love
greens, teals and blues. I even like oranges and so on....but just can't
seem to deal with ruby red. It is not a friendly colour to me.

A friend is getting married (4th time) out of town and this one is even
stranger. His *best man* is his bride's sister. Because he met his bride
thru her. Bride is wearing traditional white and this is her first marriage.
The bridesmaid is wearing ruby red and the *best (wo)man* is wearing a ruby
red pantsuit. I am cringing as I type this, lol. The women are blonde and
Dutch......the groom is African and definitely not blond, lol. As he said
to me......"hey, this time I am going to do it differently......maybe it
will then work"

I would love to be there. He is a brilliant guy who not only speaks 5
languages, but teaches computer skills at college in French. And I think
the world of him. As does my husband.

By the way.....what did you pick that was red?? And maybe other lurkers
have some funny or bizarre stories to tell about weddings or anything else
for that matter.

Cheers.....Heather

Old August 14th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Heather,

Hey, at least with your wedding, everyone matched. Mine is a bohemian/Cosmo type wedding. UUGH!
They are even going to have a hookah tent at the reception. UUGH!!

Redheads can wear red, they just have to be careful of the shades of red they choose. Go on gurl,
be daring!!

I ended up going "simplistic" as a method of design. It seemed the easiest way to get red into the
design and not look stupid. The problem is that different red products are also different shades
of red. I ordered CZ garnet briolettes and Swarovski light Siam because the Swarovski Siam and/or
garnet is just too dark.

They wanted necklaces and earrings, so for the bridesmaids I did sterling rolo chain choker length,
with two long tails ending in garnet CZ multi-faceted briolettes that hang down about 4 inches (one
longer than the other). Connecting the choker to the tails I used a light Siam 8mm swarovski round
crystal with two ornate bead caps. How simple can ya get? hehehe The red colors of the CZ and
the Swarovski's are just a bit different: the CZ briolettes are not as dark as you'd think garnet
would be - which helped but the 8mm swarovski linking the choker to the tails is far enough away
from the briolette that the shade difference didn't matter.

For the earrings, I used the same 8 mm Light Siam Swarovski crystal and the two ornate bead caps,
but added some dangly stuff to the bottom with light Siam satin bicones. Light Siam satin is a tad
darker than straight light Siam... but it all worked out.

Heck, the bride and the mother of the bride got some great jewelry - fun to design and create cause
I got to use some of my favorite colors. The bride's engagement ring is an Aquamarine, so I used
different kinds of aquamarine and pearls for her necklace and earrings. Mother of the bride got
peridot and colored pearls for her necklace and earrings cause she is wearing a black dress.

Maybe I'll post the pics after I am done...

Sterling

Old August 14th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

Hey, sounds lovely!! And the mother of the bride is wearing black?? Not
happy with the groom?? (G)

I was just messing around with some mint green pearls and silver chain and
made up a simple necklace to wear as an everyday thing. Problem is I rarely
wear jewellery, lol. But have been designing an Amazonite and pearl
necklace with brushed silver. The pacific opal bicones are a bit off on the
colour, so going to try something else. Got over to BeadFX and Dwyn helped
me out with the colour thing......thank goodness.

Remind me to tell you all one day about the *really bizarre* gypsy bride we
met up with in Portugal.....and her equally bizarre family. I thought she
was a hooker and didn't realize the desk clerk spoke english......bwa ha ha.
He was in stitches.

Night.....Heather in sweltering Toronto.

Old August 14th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

In message , Sterling
writes
[...]

Actually I hate purple, it makes me feel ill.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk

Old August 15th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

I also adore violets and purples but don't make them up as much as greens
and blues. It all depends on what strikes my fancy, I guess. I am still
new enough at this to try out all the different things that I see in the
books that I like.

I love pearls and do a lot with those. Did you notice in your elections
last year that Clinton, Pelosi and Obama were often wearing a mix of about
12 mm alternating colours of pearls? Did those in copper, gold and ivory.
And another one in mint green and ivory.

I have sold a few bracelets and necklaces, but am just not ready to get all
that commercial yet. I have 2 neighbours who wear only the simplest of
necklaces, so I made each of them the one that they admired.

Sheesh, it isn't even full moon and here I am yakking your ears off, lol.
But I sure would love to see this group come back to even a semblance of
what I understand it once was.

Cheers....Heather

Old August 15th 09, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

As a rule I try to avoid them.
I did make a pendant using some amethyst chips because they were the
only ones available to me at the time.

A few years ago on the group we had a contest for making something in a
colour we did not like. I made a beaded tassel. I was fortunate to win
the contest. The prize was donated by Kathy NV and her daughter pulled
the name out of the hat. The prize was 50 dollars but rather than try to
get cash to me I got some of Kandice Seeber's beads instead.

My dislike stems from a childish thing. During world war two when I was
at school. Everything was in short supply and the only paints they had
at school was the few basic primary colours. A violent purple was one. I
used to get a headache when using it. Never like it since.
Also if I put purple, mauve or violet coloured clothes on me I look
awful and sallow looking. Just not my colour.

I will not use it in embroidery either.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , Sterling
writes

Old August 15th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Problem is I rarely wear jewellery, lol.

You! A jewelry maker and you hardly wear jewelry? And I thought I was one of a kind!!! Myself, I
wear my wedding band, my watch, and occasionally I wear my Sapphire ring. That's about it. I sort
of got away from wearing jewelry. Most people ask me about my own jewelry box when they find out I
make jewelry and I usually just say "yeah, I have a lot" cause they wouldn't understand that I love
to make it and see other people wearing my creations, but I don't particularly like to wear it.
Weird huh??

But have been designing an Amazonite and pearl necklace with brushed silver. The pacific opal
bicones are a bit off on the colour, so going to try something else. Got over to BeadFX and
Dwyn helped me out with the colour thing......thank goodness.

FYI, I have some fantastic Amazonite pebbles that are a robins egg blue (creamy blue with a touch of
green - not a teal, and not your usual powder blue) and I paired them with Light Azore Swaro's. It
seems to be the only Swaro color that works well with them since the hues are in the same family.
If you've never seen Light Azore before, don't be alarmed when you look at them on the computer
screen. Monitors just don't do them justice. Think clear natural Aquamarine... the color is almost
exact.

Old August 15th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Maybe we can get the NG back if we all start chatting a bit more. I mean, all I did was ask a
simple question about color and look what started? We got a pretty deep thread going... and if more
people would contribute, then we can bring back the NG.

I think asking questions, sharing ideas, and debating methods would bring back this NG. "We" as in
all of us, just have to make sure we don't scare off the new posters and the new jewelry makers. I
seem to remember several years ago when this NG was more active, that a lot of people would get
thrashed for asking innocent questions. Let not do that. I am sure plenty of you have been to
rec.crafts.jewelry before and see how dead that's become... maybe we could take a lessen from some
of them and not do the "I am better than you cause I've been doing this longer than you have -
scoff" kinda thing.

So, lets start asking those bizarre questions. You just never know whats gonna come out of it.
*grins*

Sterling