It's too small!!

Old August 16th 04, 03:56 AM
merrystitch

Default It's too small!!

I am making a quilt for DS & DIL2B for Christmas. DS loves fishing, so when
the LQS was having a class for a flannel log cabin with appliquéd fish on
the border, I thought it would be perfect. I went to the class, followed
the instructions given by the teacher & made my 36 blocks. I stitched 6
rows of 6 & when I laid them out on the bed, they looked sooooo small (58 x
58). At this point, I got out the pattern. Seems the block on the pattern
had 13 pieces, but ours had only 9, making the 12 1/2" block only 9 1/2.
Instructor told us not to follow the pattern as written, but to just do a
scrappy log cabin, which means any additional pieces on each block would be
extremely obvious.

Now what do I do?

1. do I try to match the fabrics (purchased 2 months ago) & make more
blocks.
2. Add borders to increase size--if so, any suggestions? Flying geese?
Before or after the original border which is supposed to be 8 inches with
the appliquéd fish.
3. Keep this quilt for something else & start all over.

As I am looking at an article in QNM March 2004, it lists the size for queen
comforter as 88 x 94.

I'm so tired tonight, I guess I'll go to bed & have nightmares about it.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Merrystitch

Old August 16th 04, 04:10 AM
Kathy in CA

I would try to make more blocks. If you only bought the fabric 2 months ago
it may still be available. Adding extra wide border wont make it look better
just bigger

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old August 16th 04, 04:13 AM
maryd

(((Mary))) Can you add a round of similar fabric made into 91/2 blocks to
enlarge it? I would also tell the instructor of your disappointment.

--
Mary

Old August 16th 04, 04:14 AM
Polly Esther

Merry, you've lined the options up in perfect order. Try to find fabric to
make more blocks, add borders if you can't, send the quilt to me if (1) and
(2) don't work and start over. Don't have nightmares over it. I really would
love to have a flannel log cabin measuring 58" square. After a night's
sleep, perhaps adding additional pieces on each block would be the answer.
What's wrong with "extremely obvious"? It just could turn out to be a
fabulous asset. Polly

Old August 16th 04, 06:48 AM
Patti

Hullo Merrystitch
How infuriating for you.
Here's my idea:
Existing blocks are 9.5" (including seam allowance I'm guessing?
Put a simple two and a quarter inch (finished size so cut two and three
quarters) border around what you have.
Then a 4.5" border (finished) made up of log cabins as similar as
possible to the ones you made for the centre - same fabrics where you
have them, similar where not. You might need to reduce the width of the
logs, if it looks a bit out of proportion.
Then put on your originally planned border.
Would that make it large enough
58 + 4.5 + 9 + 16 ?
If not, the first inner border could be 4.5" finished instead of two and
a quarter. Still keeping the edge divisible by 4.5.
..
In article , merrystitch
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 16th 04, 11:30 AM
merrystitch

I like that idea!!
Merrystitch
"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Merrystitch
How infuriating for you.
Here's my idea:
Existing blocks are 9.5" (including seam allowance I'm guessing?
Put a simple two and a quarter inch (finished size so cut two and three
quarters) border around what you have.
Then a 4.5" border (finished) made up of log cabins as similar as
possible to the ones you made for the centre - same fabrics where you
have them, similar where not. You might need to reduce the width of the
logs, if it looks a bit out of proportion.
Then put on your originally planned border.
Would that make it large enough
58 + 4.5 + 9 + 16 ?
If not, the first inner border could be 4.5" finished instead of two and
a quarter. Still keeping the edge divisible by 4.5.
.
In article , merrystitch
writes

Old August 16th 04, 12:06 PM
georg

merrystitch wrote:

Now what do I do?

Consider making a whole nother set of blocks the same as the center to
go around the outside of the fish border that you will make in class.
Then put another border around that. That will continue the theme, and
the fish will just seriously add interest.

-georg

Old August 16th 04, 01:42 PM
Roberta Zollner

Make more blocks!
But if that doesn't work out, what's wrong with giving them a nice lap quilt
to start with? And make them something else in a larger size next time.
Around my house, the quilts on the couch (or on the wall) are the ones we
look at most!
Roberta in D

Old August 16th 04, 03:46 PM
Charlie

Could you put sashing between the blocks? Maybe something fishy? Or a
plain colour with similar appliquéd fish?

Charlie.

[...]

---

Old August 16th 04, 04:44 PM
DrQuilter

definitely add borders.

merrystitch wrote:

[...]

(take the dog out before replying)

Small drill TRCB General Crafting 5 May 1st 05 08:29 PM
AD - hey, new stuff! Small lampwork sets.... Kandice Seeber Beads 13 December 4th 04 05:50 PM
Looking for: Small Metal Casting Foundry In Los Angeles Scorsi Jewelry 10 February 29th 04 08:24 PM
Does anyone use small scraps? Wendy Young Quilting 7 February 11th 04 09:39 AM
Source of small glass furnace in UK? Mike Firth Glass 21 February 3rd 04 10:53 PM