I need Roofing Advice

Old December 3rd 03, 07:26 PM
Retiredff

Gerald Miller wrote:
I use regular carpenter's glue. If you don't use too much glue, it will

be
partially absorbed by the shingles and will dry quite quickly. I use

"hot melt glue" only for carton sealing as it is useless in
woodworking (unless, of course, you are thinking of the old fashioned
hide glue). One of our builders decided hot glue was wonderful for
railings etc. and after repairing the third house, I told him that
should he persist in this, he would never get another building
assignment from our store. By the time the pieces are assembled, the
exposed glue surface has cooled very slightly and the bond strength is
destroyed.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Regular carpenters glue really slowed me down. Same thing for any kind of
tacky craft-type glue. It was too easy to knock adjacent shingles loose.
With the hot glue gun, I used two hands. Gun in one, shingle in the other.
The glue doesn't have a chance to cool off.

Old December 3rd 03, 11:30 PM
havana bill & holly

I use wood glue to attach the shingles and run a strip of masking tape
lightly across the op edge. By the time one row of shingles is laid around
the roof I can peel back some of the initial masking tape and start the next
row. I can get about three or four rows before my back gives out and I have
to go do something seated, and by then the glue has dried enough to go
again. HTH

Old December 4th 03, 01:04 AM
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:27:15 GMT, "Carol"
wrote:

Doesn't the wood glue dry too slowly? I would think that if the glue isn't
dry it would be a problem to do a second row until the first row is totally
dry and wood glue takes hours to dry.

I use a line of glue about half the size of a standard pencil lead
and, as I mentioned, absorbtion plays a part at this volume.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 08:13 AM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Beads 1 January 22nd 04 04:39 PM
Roofing John A Doll Houses 0 October 25th 03 04:19 PM