Oldest UFO?

Old June 8th 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Oldest UFO?

Louise posted that she'd finished a quilt that was 7 years in the making.
I'm curious how long we hold onto UFOs before they get finished or declared
'unfinishable'?

I have my very first quilt top- queen sized- with a bit of hand quilting in
the center. I made the top- finished the whole thing- in 1989. I'll never
finish the quilting because life and then arthritis got in the way. Pat on
her green suggested I remove the hand quilting and MQ the whole thing.

Maybe some day. ;-)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 8th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now, now, Leslie. It is perfectly okay to have a quilt that is part hand
and part machine quilted. I realized after finishing my very 1st log cabin
that the logs still just had to have more quilting. I hand-quilted the
'middles' and nobody died. Nobody even broke out in a rash. Didn't even
get hiccups. Polly

Old June 8th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I started quilting in 1986. Today in the boxes going to donation was a
UFO from the very early 90s. Cranberry colored polyester. To be
appliqued were to be a double frame of single cathedral windows in a
cranberry and cream print, the windows were a small print with a mauve
background. In the center of it all was going to be something else
appliqued. Three sides of one frame were done and linked together. It
had been over 10 years since I looked at it. Yep, gone now.

Ginger in CA

On Jun 7, 8:28*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
Louise posted that she'd finished a quilt that was 7 years in the making.
I'm curious how long we hold onto UFOs before they get finished or declared
'unfinishable'?

I have my very first quilt top- queen sized- with a bit of hand quilting in
the center. *I made the top- finished the whole thing- in 1989. *I'll never
finish the quilting because life and then arthritis got in the way. *Pat on
her green suggested I remove the hand quilting and MQ the whole thing.

Maybe some day. *;-)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...yF?vhost=home-....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 8th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

It just might become a treasure for someone else now? My sister had a
neighbor that did handwork on a classic cathedral window quilt just on her
lunch hour. I can't remember how long it took but it was many years. It
was beautiful. I have a friend that started a little women quilt out of a
magazine in the early 50's. She has most of the applique done. I think
she keeps it unfinished to hold the longest ufo title. : )
Taria

Old June 8th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I have a couple waiting in the wings that are 12 or more years old! My oldest is probably about 15 years old.
It was a mystery quilt that I really didn't care for once I finished it, but I just couldn't throw it away
(and now that I think about it, I might be able to make two child quilts out of it for Project Linus or
something like that!). I had to laugh, Leslie, when I visited your pictures of the Good Luck Cats. My oldie
was done in the same colors!

I might have to make that one next on my list to finish just so I can say I have a really old one out of the way.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old June 8th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Perhaps. I was just pleased I could let go of it. It brought back a
lot of memories, and to realize it has gone through so many moves with
me.

I uncovered some things to finish up and are small enough to be used
for my next creative splurge. Since I now have an assigned courtroom,
I am going to develop a series of small/miniature pieces to hang on a
14"x14" quilt stand that will sit on my bookcase behind me. Got the
stand -something else i have had for years. Hey, others have plants/
pictures etc why can't i have a quiltlet?

Ginger in CA

wrote:
Louise posted that she'd finished a quilt that was 7 years in the making.
I'm curious how long we hold onto UFOs before they get finished or
declared
'unfinishable'?

I have my very first quilt top- queen sized- with a bit of hand quilting
in
the center. I made the top- finished the whole thing- in 1989. I'll never
finish the quilting because life and then arthritis got in the way. Pat on
her green suggested I remove the hand quilting and MQ the whole thing.

Maybe some day. ;-)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...yF?vhost=home-....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 8th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

TANQP! Everybody's definition of a UFO can be different. My story:
it's not a UFO if you give it some thought occasionally. Some projects
need to simmer a long time before they're done.

Is there some reason you couldn't leave the hand quilting where it is
and finish the rest by machine? It's too cute to leave undone!
Roberta in D

Old June 8th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Great idea with the quiltlet, and it doesn't ever need watering.
Roberta in D

Old June 8th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Started a Family Tree in 1987 for my folks 40th Anniv in 1988. Dad (who
seldom criticized) said it needed more background color. Thankfully, it was
only a top. So, I took it home and started over (preserving the tree and
leaves). Presented it to them for their 50th (once again without backing)
and Mom was NOT happy at all......so I took it home and then ran into
serious hand problems. It has sat since.
I should pull it out and add the Great-grandkids now that my hands are
working as long as I'm careful in their use.

Butterfly

..

Old June 8th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

my oldest UFO is probably an applique i've been working on since 1998
when i moved into my house.
i wanted wall hangings for my new kitchen, and now they are in a bag
somewhere unfinished. the kitchen has
changed colors 4 times and i don't thing these will "go".

I also have numerous tops and runners and such that will probly never
get done if i don't invest in a proper
new machine!

i must say, i have finished a wedding quilt and a bridal shower quilt
recently.

amy in CNY

OT - World's oldest dog, sad end Bruce Fletcher Needlework 3 January 14th 10 11:17 PM
Oldest UFO Pat in Virginia Quilting 33 March 22nd 08 07:01 PM
Oldest material Gramma Quilting 8 November 30th 04 09:29 PM
Oldest known beads found! Fitpix Beads 9 April 18th 04 08:33 PM
AD: Fund Raiser for My Oldest Son (Please Help!) Cecelia Medbery Rubberstamps 4 November 11th 03 12:04 PM