Yoohoo, Mommies!

Old August 19th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

Cheryl P. wrote:

Only 22% of the over-65s use a computer? I'd have guessed a little
higher, even though I know so many who don't use a computer.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/0...ed.seniors.ap/
Only 35 percent of Americans over age 65 are online, according to data
from April and May [2008] compiled by the Pew Internet Project at the
Pew Research Center.

But when you account for factors like race, wealth and education, the
picture changes dramatically. "About three-quarters of white,
college-educated men age over 65 use the Internet," says Susannah Fox,
director of the project.

(For the record, while the PRC hasn't posted a similar figure
for women, for the last few years women and men have had
similar overall usage stats, so one wouldn't expect the
profile for women to be much different.)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 19th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

lucretia borgia wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:31:47 -0500, Jangchub
opined:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:07:30 -0700, Karen C in California
wrote:

Plus, you can never take a computer/eBook into the bathtub to read!

No, but I do take my computer in there to listen to Dharma (Buddhist
studies) or watch a good movie while I soak.

Since I can't see anything any more without glasses and since my bath
is so hot it melts my flesh off rendering the glasses fogged up, I now
just listen to Dharma or watch a good, shmoozy movie.

OMG I am a senile failure ! It has never occurred to me to take my
lap top into the bathroom !

Then again, what if my shaky hand dropped it in the bath ??

You'd probably get quite a charge out of it. LOL!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 19th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Karen C in California wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

it's very
clear that Webkinz has not passed the west coast by, and I've seen
no evidence in any searches that sales are confined to the
east coast.

Then obviously I'm not talking to the right West Coasters, going to the
right West Coast stores, reading the right West Coast newspapers,
because until yesterday I never heard of them.

As I said, there's a big age-gap in our family, only one child about the
age of Cheryl's DD, and he's never told me about them. Could be that
he's not interested in them, and the others are either too old or too
young.

But I can't imagine that CNN wouldn't have done a big story on them if
they're such a hot Christmas toy.

You might note that one of the cites I posted was
to CNN. Also, there were references to CNN videos that
were no longer available on the CNN website while I was
searching. So, CNN did, in fact, do stories on Webkinz
(as did NBC, MSNBC, ABC news, CBS news, Fox news, and
even CNBC).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 19th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Cheryl P. wrote:

Only 22% of the over-65s use a computer? I'd have guessed a little
higher, even though I know so many who don't use a computer.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/0...ed.seniors.ap/
Only 35 percent of Americans over age 65 are online, according to data
from April and May [2008] compiled by the Pew Internet Project at the
Pew Research Center.

But when you account for factors like race, wealth and education, the
picture changes dramatically. "About three-quarters of white,
college-educated men age over 65 use the Internet," says Susannah Fox,
director of the project.

(For the record, while the PRC hasn't posted a similar figure
for women, for the last few years women and men have had
similar overall usage stats, so one wouldn't expect the
profile for women to be much different.)

Oh, look! You mean Karen might have been wrong after all? Imagine.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 19th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:

you clearly feel we are pretty damn stupid

Please point out where I used the word "stupid" or any synonym thereof.
It is your word which you are putting into my mouth to get people mad
at me for something I NEVER SAID.

I am becoming quite fed up with this tactic of accusing me of saying
things that were not said, in hopes that no one will review the archives
to determine who was really the first person who said it.

Someone who CHOOSES not to learn the same things that you have chosen to
learn is not stupid, they simply have different priorities for their time.

My mother has no need to learn to send e-mail to communicate to her
grandchildren (The Divine Miss Em says purrrr) or her siblings (her only
brother having died in 1996). Her friends don't do e-mail, so why
should she? I would rather talk to her on the phone, so I can assess
reaction time, whether she's slurring words indicating a neurological
problem, etc., and since I pay $30/mo for unlimited long distance, which
I use to call many people (some of whom have e-mail but I'd rather hear
their voice, plus it's more efficient for bouncing business ideas off
each other -- even a couple of old secretaries like us can talk twice as
fast as we can type, plus, my friend can wash dishes and I can knit
while running our mouths, whereas typing at each other precludes us
doing other productive things), it costs me no extra to talk to her on a
daily basis.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 19th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:06:47 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
opined:

lucretia borgia wrote:

You're old, you doddering old senior with so little to do you squander
your life away on the computer looking for friends. I was horrified
recently to find my first post to a group (not this one) was way back
in 1998.

Neophyte! I got my first email account in 1988 and I first posted to
Usenet in 1992.

Elizabeth

I'm an old senior, typo - 1989 was my first post. Not to here. I
think Ruby Scott first introduced me to rctn in about 1990. She was
over at my place one day (though she was not a senior and made the
comment now that I think of it that all my friends seemed to be ten
years my junior) actually I think 1989 was still Boards.

I had my first email account in the early 90's but didn't know anything
about Usenet till several years later. Does that make me the baby in the
group??? lol

Old August 19th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:

We seniors you know, dull as dishwater.

Once again, someone else's word, that seniors are "boring" being placed
into my mouth in order to perpetuate an argument over something I NEVER
SAID.

Old August 19th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Dr. Brat wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Cheryl P. wrote:

Only 22% of the over-65s use a computer? I'd have guessed a little
higher, even though I know so many who don't use a computer.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/0...ed.seniors.ap/
Only 35 percent of Americans over age 65 are online,

Oh, look! You mean Karen might have been wrong after all? Imagine.

Elizabeth

Wrong? How so? By my reading 35% is still a minority. It may be a bit
higher than the roughly 1-in-5 in my family, but it's still not, as
others have stated, a majority of seniors online and my relatives are
the minority.

I have yet to see a statistic proving wrong MY statement that over 65s
are the age group "least likely to have a computer". They may be making
gains, but there's still not the near-100% saturation you'd see among
20-somethings. There have been statistics bandied about proving other
people wrong in their assertions that most seniors use computers and my
relatives are the only Luddites, but whether you go with Lucille's 22%,
Cheryl's 29%, or Ericka's 35%, it is still a *minority* of seniors who
are online.

And how many of those are "young seniors" as opposed to the
80-somethings I based my personal observations on? Every year, more and
more of us who were using computers at work in the 1970s and 1980s age
into the "over 65" category, which doesn't mean an across-the-board
increase in computer literacy. The 100-year-old who was already retired
in 1980 doesn't have a 10% annual increase in her computer use just
because another year's worth of people crossed the line from 64 to
65-and-up.

The statistics I've seen have completely supported my statement that
seniors are "least likely to have a computer". Even if they got up to
95% (which is highly likely by the time my generation gets there), the
100% generations coming behind still make them "least likely".

Old August 19th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:

"About three-quarters of white,
college-educated men age over 65 use the Internet," says Susannah Fox,
director of the project.

Now that is a sad reflection on our times.

In what way? White, college-educated men with adequate disposable
income have been buying home computers since the C64 and Trash80. The
30-somethings of the 1970s are today's 60-somethings.

A fair number of those white, college-educated men were accountants or
engineers or computer programmers who, up until they retired at age 65,
were using computers at their jobs.

Using an average life expectancy of 75, it is absolutely possible that
every one of those 3/4 had some dealings with computers in their
professional careers, which, for the 75 year olds, would've ended only
10 years ago; a lot of people had computers on their desks by 1998. For
the 65 year olds, their professional careers ended only yesterday, when
most professionals had computers on their desks.

Old August 19th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
lucretia borgia wrote:

We seniors you know, dull as dishwater.

Once again, someone else's word, that seniors are "boring" being placed
into my mouth in order to perpetuate an argument over something I NEVER
SAID.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Karen is right., She didn't say seniors are "boring." I used the word
boring because her description of what some of her senior family members and
friends do with their time sounded downright boring to me.

Why is this so important that Karen needs to scream. Is she getting upset?

OT Yoohoo Shona in NZ Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 August 1st 05 07:05 AM
Yoohoo! Mary H. in OH Leslie in Missouri Quilting 2 May 30th 04 01:46 PM
MOMMIES!! HELP!!! Allaya Diep Yarn 20 May 29th 04 10:36 PM
Question for all new Mommies Debbi Quilting 85 November 15th 03 03:39 AM