Framing binge

Old November 11th 03, 05:14 PM
Linda D.

Default Framing binge

Hi Victoria,

I'm very impressed you got the 'energy' to do all this
framing, I'm hoping it will rub off on me I have a couple of
question for you. Do you manage to find ready made mats and frames
for your designs? or do you get a framer to cut them for you and then
you do the lacing and putting together?

I recently framed a poster for my son...no problem, it was a
standard size. I then wanted to frame another poster, I could use a
standard size frame, but needed a custom cut mat. The framer in
Michael's would only sell me a full sheet of black mat board, when I
only needed a piece 18 by 24 inches (or whatever the dimensions were).
So now I have to go back and forth to Michael's until they get some
standard sized black mats in

I have a bunch of needlework needing to be framed, but not one
of them will fit in a standard frame I would love to know how
everyone deals with framing these at a reasonable cost.

take care, Linda

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:20:22 GMT, animaux wrote:

Yesterday I finally framed "Spiritdancer." Then I framed my "Great Blue Heron,"
but my husband didn't like the mat. I silver leafed it and drabbed it down with
antiquing liquid. He thinks a darker color mat is better. So, I have to cut a
new mat. Then, I framed a bunch of other things our nieces painted for us and
now I have to find places to hang them all. Today I am finally going to frame
"Celtic Christmas" and she is going to be a gift to my neighbor. I'd stitch
that one again. I loved the vivid reds.

Victoria

Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old November 11th 03, 05:29 PM
SEL

I have a bunch of needlework needing to be framed, but not one
of them will fit in a standard frame I would love to know how
everyone deals with framing these at a reasonable cost.

take care, Linda

Hi Linda

Most framing shops - even Michaels - should be willing & able to cut you a
mat to whatever size you'd like.

Example:
http://www.martekbiz.com/links/xsfrog.jpg is a picture of X's and Oh's Frog
Prince that I finished a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to frame it without
breaking the bank. I dropped by Michaels and bought a frame on sale... In
this case it's a 10x13" frame that had a pre-existing cream mat in it 8x10.
The cream mat did nothing for the piece at all. I happened to be dropping by
my LNS, who also frames (fantastic stuff !), and she cut me a piece of the
green mat, with an opening that better suited the size and shape of the
frog. The entire framing bill, including mat, acid free foam board, and
frame - about $12. (I do pin my own needlework).

Alternatively, if you can get your hands on a mat cutter, you could tackle
cutting yoru own mats - which reduces the costs dramatically. That's my next
step, when I get enough money to invest in a good quality cutter.

Some of my work, I don't mind spending the $100's to frame. They're just
worth it to me. Others languish in drawers for years because I can't justify
$150+ to frame them. But with a nice frame, and a nice framing shop that
will cut mats to my specs ? I'm a happy girl

Shannon L.

Old November 11th 03, 06:36 PM
Olwynmary

Some of my work, I don't mind spending the $100's to frame. They're just worth
it to me. Others languish in drawers for years because I can't justify $150+ to
frame them.

Merciful Heavens!!!! I knew framing was expensive, but I had no idea it was
that high!!!!

DH and I frame everything ourselves - mostly pictures, very little needlework -
but he bought himself a mat cutter at least 20 years ago, and it has paid for
itself over and over. We buy some standard frames, but mostly pick up old
frames very cheaply at estate sales etc., sometimes for only $1 or $2 each. As
he also does home repairs he has a miter box (and a saw, of course) so it is
not hard to cut used frames to size. We buy full size sheets of acid-free mat
board, foamboard etc. at the art supply store, and keep them around. You'd be
surprised how many mats you can get out of a full size sheet, and we store the
leftovers behind a bookcase, out of sight but easily accessible. We have
learned from experience, and everything goes under glass except for really huge
pieces which go under Plexiglass. Fibers have a double layer of mat on them to
ensure that no fibers touch the glass, and are lightly basted to a double layer
of old well-washed cotton sheets laced over the foamboard or acid-free backing.

Once you have bought the mat cutter, you can frame just about anything for the
cost of one evening's labor and about $10 in materials.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old November 12th 03, 03:45 PM
Linda D.

Thanks for all of your hints and tips about framing Victoria

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:43:30 GMT, animaux wrote:

It does take a lot of energy to get going, but once I do I like the results. I
do not buy already cut mats. They don't sell large enough mats for the pieces I
usually stitch. Every now and then Hobby Lobby will put mat board on sale for
$2.47 and I go then and buy a bunch of mats, based on fabric colors and I will
sometimes take the photo of the piece or some of the floss.

I bought a mat cutter. It's the Logan 2000 push style.
http://www.logangraphic.com/products...eld/push.shtml

I have a T-square I use and it works beautifully. It does take some practice,
but not that much.

Even if I buy a large mat board and have it cut, Hobby Lobby only charges one
dollar per cut, so a mat cut from a larger mat board will cost 6 dollars...and
you have mat left over for another project.

Take your 50% or 40% off coupon for Michaels and buy a Logan 2000. You can try
it, and return it if you don't like it, but I will say you do also need a
T-square to keep your cuts straight. I have mounted my mat cutter to a piece of
plywood 3'x3' with a old piece of mat as the surface my new mat to be cut will
rest on.

The first thing I ever had framed was a needlepoint, many years ago. It cost
about 275 dollars. All it had was a frame, glass and a double mat. Nothing
more. Now, for 275 dollars I can buy frames at Salvation Army, or anywhere for
a fraction of the price and cut my own mats to fit. I've purchased frames at
Salvation Army which probably would have cost me well over 100 dollars to buy
new. HUGE frames with glass. I don't use anti-glare. That's my only thing.

I also buy frames when they go half price at Hobby Lobby...open back. I have a
glass place cut me a piece of glass and I do the mat, have brown craft paper to
cover the back and nobody could ever tell I did it myself.

As for the piece, I use foam core and one t-pin at a time I center the stitching
and slowly go around, gently pulling so the fabric is taught, not tight, and I
make sure the foam core is small enough to just fit inside the frame. I use
acid free, double stick tape to position the stitchery on the mat and that's
that! Simple.

Old November 12th 03, 04:06 PM
Liz Hampton

I have a bunch of needlework needing to be framed, but not one
of them will fit in a standard frame I would love to know how
everyone deals with framing these at a reasonable cost.

take care, Linda

Our EGA group purchased a mat cutter. It "lives" at the president's house
and any member is welcome to borrow it. It only does straight edge cutting
so those who want a curved mat still have to have someone else do it for
them, but it serves the needs of most of the members. It also cuts foam
core, so some of us can do the framing from beginning to end.
Liz from Humbug

Old November 12th 03, 04:21 PM
SEL

Victoria, have you ever used your mat cutter on suede-type mat material ? I
have a few pieces I want to frame with the suede, and am contemplating
trying to do it myself (big bucks otherwise), just not sure how easy it is.
(more expensive I know...)

Thanks for your explanation - and the recommendation on a cutter.

Shannon L.

Old November 12th 03, 07:39 PM
Ellice

On 11/12/03 12:03 PM,"animaux" posted:

I haven't, but I'm relatively certain it wouldn't be that different. The one
variable would be thickness and precision of making sure you cut through on
the
first pass. After practice, you get to "feel" if it has cut through. I see
no
reason why it wouldn't work on the suede-like mats.

We use a logan (a couple of models up) in the Frame shop, and cut suede-mats
all the time. Just all about practice and being steady when you make the
cuts. And a good blade.

I'm surprised, Vic, that you tape mats down to your stitching, even
acid-free. Generally, if we fit everything into the frame properly, and the
piece has been stretched straigt (the foam-core cut straight) then we don't
have problems with the mat inner straight edges lying straight on the fabric
grain. Never tape them down. But, it's about the final securing of the piece
into the frame tightly enough. We do tape top mat to a bottom mat, but never
to a print or stitching. When we do prints, we mount them using a hinge made
with linen acid-free tape.

Good luck to all.

ellice

Old November 12th 03, 08:01 PM
Linda Wright

One trick I use to keep costs down is to mat pictures to a standard
size, even if it means the mat isn't perfectly even all the way
around. Then I can buy a standard frame.

I also keep an eye out for clearance, etc., frames and keep them in a
box under my bed to pull out when needed.

Linda in Columbia, MO
Old November 13th 03, 10:30 PM
Elizabeth in Boca

in this framing binge mode:

Last week I realized that a sweet little piece my dd had done for me was
stuck to the mounting board....what was I thinking???? (no I didn't mount
it - I *paid* to have it done....like I said....)

anyway, I pulled it carefully off the board and part of the paper (I guess)
stuck to the stitching (14 ct Aida). I got some of it off after soaking and
brushing with a toothbrush. Does anyone have anymore hints? I am not sure
what was used to adhere the fabric to the board - maybe some 3M kind of
spray.

What do you think I could use to take off the rest of the paper - just more
soaking?

TIA,
Elizabeth

Old November 14th 03, 07:04 AM
Ellice

On 11/13/03 8:53 PM,"animaux" posted:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:30:41 -0500, "Elizabeth in Boca"
opined:

in this framing binge mode:

Last week I realized that a sweet little piece my dd had done for me was
stuck to the mounting board....what was I thinking???? (no I didn't mount
it - I *paid* to have it done....like I said....)

anyway, I pulled it carefully off the board and part of the paper (I guess)
stuck to the stitching (14 ct Aida). I got some of it off after soaking and
brushing with a toothbrush. Does anyone have anymore hints? I am not sure
what was used to adhere the fabric to the board - maybe some 3M kind of
spray.

What do you think I could use to take off the rest of the paper - just more
soaking?

Yes, more soaking, but you can try to use the Oxyclean. It is safe for
fabrics
and won't further damage it. Soak in warm water and change the water often.

I think you're stuck - pardon the pun. Just soak it, and work it gently with
the toothbrush, and even rubbing with your fingertip to keep getting the
paper off. And soak some more. It's very tedious.

We do a lot of conservation work, and reframing, and this is much more
common than you'd believe. Especially on pieces that were framed in the late
60s, 70s. Stuck on with sticky something. Just try to get off what you can,
and bring it to a different framer - make sure the new one has a CPF
(certified professional framer) on board, and that they have some needlework
experience.

If it was framed more than say 7 years ago, it's likely just Artist's Spray
Mount - 3M makes it in a couple of formulations. If more recently, it could
be one of the newer adhesives - but my bet would be Spray Mount. If you
still have trouble after soaking, you can carefully try some nail polish
remover - with acetone. Gently, apply it with a swab, or toothbrush, and not
where there is stitching. The acetone will break down some of the adhesives.
Alternatively, you could check out the 3M website, for information on
cleaning up or removing old Spray Mount.

Good luck,
Ellice
PS - I can ask the family in Boca if they know a good framer, if that would
help. My surrogate mom does a lot of CS, and framing - she'd likely know. My
SIL would only know really expensive, not necessarily good.