Gingher utility scissors?

Old July 30th 12, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Default Gingher utility scissors?

Does anyone remember the Gingher Utility scissors? At least I think they
are Gingher. Mom has a pair and I'm so tired of spending money on junky
scissors at our house and the frustration that Bert and I are having. I've
checked out the Gingher web site and none to be found. Any suggestions on
where to find them or something similar that will still cut after a day and
a half? And I'm willing to spend the money needed to get a really good
pair. Thanks

Steven
Alaska

Old July 30th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

What are you hoping to cut? Window screening? Chicken bones? Box tops? We
just buy the cheap ones and toss 'em when they are done. Polly

mmunications...

Old July 30th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

If you are looking for something to cut chicken bones and cardboard
look at companies that sell good quality knives.

Susan

Old July 30th 12, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich

I've been using Clauss scissors forever, at least 60 years when my Mom
gave me my first pair. They are MADE IN AMERICA and are of super
great quality. You can find them on ebay and other sites, but here is
their own page on scissors:
http://www.claussco.com/category/5956.0.0.0.0/Sewing
Not connected with them in any way other than as a completely
satisfied customer.
Kathy Tabb

Old July 30th 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:02:45 -0800, Steven Cook wrote:

Does anyone remember the Gingher Utility scissors? At least I think
they are Gingher. Mom has a pair and I'm so tired of spending money on
junky scissors at our house and the frustration that Bert and I are
having. I've checked out the Gingher web site and none to be found.
Any suggestions on where to find them or something similar that will
still cut after a day and a half? And I'm willing to spend the money
needed to get a really good pair. Thanks

Looking about here I have come to the conclusion I may possibly live in
the land of scissors. Why yes I have three pairs of kitchen scissors,
doesn't everybody? One for the awesome jar opener built into the handle,
one because we have had them for 20 years and they just keep trooping on,
and a pair of Mundial Red Dots that we were given and have never taken
out of the box. Why have we never taken them out of the box? Because
they come apart for cleaning. I know for a fact that once they are
running free in the wilds of my kitchen that they will be taken apart and
then I will always find the other half and never both at once.
We have a rack of school scissors, for when you need a pair quick, or
just know you should not use scissors to cut that but are going to anyway.
Several assorted pair of knock off fiskers clones, and other dollar store
type cheapos, for much the same purpose as the school scissors.
A pair of bandage scissors and a pair of generic EMT scissors. There is
only a slight difference between them, and that can be chalked up to
different makers. Razor sharp, very sturdy, handles half inch hemp rope
almost as easily as gauze. Highly recommended, though some may find the
shape a bit uncomfortable. We also have a pair of first aid kit bandage
scissors that aren't half so good as the specifically purchased ones.

And those are just what I consider utility scissors.
Of that lot, I would go with the EMT or bandage scissors for a stays
sharp, lives forever, cuts anything pair. Though ours do not have sharp
points, and if that is important to you I cannot say that you will find
any like that. You might, but I truly do not know if they come that way.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old July 30th 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Well, the ones that Mom has had for as long I can remember since a wee one,
we cut window screening, box tops, plastic packages, paper, you name it, but
not to my knowledge Chicken bones. Not that they couldn't. So just about
anything.

Steven
Alaska

Old July 30th 12, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Thanks NightMist. I will have to look up Mundial Red Dots. The ones that
Mom has also come apart. Amazingly after 40 plus years half has not
disappeared. I do like the idea of the EMT scissors Don't necessarily need
sharp points so those might work just fine.

Thanks

Steven
Alaska

Old July 30th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:02:45 -0800, Steven Cook wrote:
Does anyone remember the Gingher Utility scissors? At least I think they
are Gingher. Mom has a pair and I'm so tired of spending money on junky
scissors at our house and the frustration that Bert and I are having. I've
checked out the Gingher web site and none to be found. Any suggestions on
where to find them or something similar that will still cut after a day and
a half? And I'm willing to spend the money needed to get a really good
pair. Thanks

Not sure what you mean by utility scissors... to me that's the sort the EMTs
carry, like: http://uniformdiscount.com/Prestige-...FUkbQgod7mYAig

Have you tried Kai? Take a look at the COB 180 and COB 240. They'll cut
plaster casts: http://www.kaiscissors.com/category.php?category_id=48

Kay

Scissors Gill Murray Needlework 4 February 5th 08 01:28 PM
Those scissors Cheryl Isaak Needlework 8 December 18th 07 08:53 PM
mundial vs gingher scissors Wren Quilting 7 May 13th 06 05:12 PM
whittling with utility knives BL Carving 3 February 13th 04 01:56 AM
Big stitch or utility quilting frood Quilting 20 November 13th 03 01:52 PM