Off Topic - Just when I thought I'd seen everything

Old February 10th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default Off Topic - Just when I thought I'd seen everything

Susan Hartman wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:16:09 -0800 (PST), Mary
opined:

I have known people to wear the full attire as formal wear on Cunard
ships -- it's wonderful! The last time I was on the QE2 there was a
couple, and the lady also wore her formal Scots outfit, too. They
looked wonderful!

There is a couple who play bridge at our club. He is a judge, he
wears his kilt and exactly right, no sweater for him, and his wife
wears a black skirt, with a red bolero jacket (the exact red that is
in his kilt) and red high heels. They are splendiferous.
He was very embarrassed once, various females had asked me whether he
would have anything underneath the kilt. I didn't know so offered
that everything else was exactly to code, so likely not. He sat down
at our table, ankles neatly crossed and I told him I felt he had just
disappointed half the room, and why. Then his face matched his kilt

I never miss a chance to pass along the wonderful song by Mike Cross,
"The Drunk Scotsman." Here's are two good versions from YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0ag...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAsra...eature=related

enjoy!
sue

Bobby Watt, one of our favourite folksingers, will sometimes wear a
kilt at his concerts. Now there's a big brawny man who can really wear
a kilt!

I once teased him about what he would be wearing (or not) under it at
the evening's concert. He got a real gleam in his eye, till his wife
Alison, squashed the idea by reminding him there would be kids in the
audience .

MargW
Old February 11th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Karen C in California wrote:

I've seen that in Manhattan. However, you can see almost anything in
Manhattan if you're there long enough.

Lucille

True. Including husky men in sequined evening gowns.

They must commute between there and here, cuz there are plenty of them
in the Quarter. Particularly now at Carnival time. Also lots of them
Labor Day weekend, which is a Gay Celebration. Brings in lots of lovely
tourist dollars.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old February 11th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
lucille wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

There was a gentleman in full Scottish attire in Barnes and Noble in
Nashua
NH

Kilt, knee socks with the garter, an Aran type sweater and sporran.
Didn't
look for a dirk, but would be a weapon and severely frowned on.

Cheryl

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

http://my2.tupperware.com/KMCampbell

Karen,

You being a professional proof reader I am surprised at your selection of
words. You must be having a down day!g

Your post should have been "Including husky MALES in sequined evening gowns"
versus, "Including husky MEN in sequined evening gowns." There is no charge
for this English language upgrade! LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old February 11th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

news

lucille wrote:

[...]

Now that would have been a cute thing to see. And it would already be
wearing an elegant fur coat to enhance all those sequins without any
animal rescue sites getting involved.

Old February 11th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/11/09 7:08 AM, in article , "lucille"
wrote:

news

lucille wrote:

[...]

DH tells a story about being in San Francisco for a business meeting. In a
great coincidence, so was his long time best friend. Both are commenting on
the striking looks and build of this woman walking toward them with her date
for the evening. All four are standing at a trolley stop. The date is doing
most of the talking.

She answers in a baritone.....

Cheryl

Old February 11th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

MargW wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

I love Bobby Watt! Lovely voice, and a lovely gent, too. Next time you
see him, tell him "Sue from Dirty Linen says hello." I haven't seen him
in ages!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old February 12th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Susan Hartman wrote:
MargW wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

I haven't seen him in awhile either. He and Alison moved to Quebec
(just across the river from Ottawa). We used to attend house concerts
in their basement when they lived in Whitby. I think the last concert
of his we attended was about two years ago. Alison is a dynamite
gardener who loves bulbs, and was planning a large garden at their new
home. They are both wonderful people.

My understanding is that Bobby is so busy as a restoraton mason and
teacher (he's worked on the Canadian Parliament buildings, the Puerto
Rican Governor's mansion) that the music has taken a little bit of a
back seat.

His website, as well as highlighting his music, links to his masonry
website which shows some of his projects.
http://www.bobbywatt.com/

MargW
Old February 15th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/10/09 12:57 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

There was a gentleman in full Scottish attire in Barnes and Noble in Nashua
NH

Kilt, knee socks with the garter, an Aran type sweater and sporran. Didn't
look for a dirk, but would be a weapon and severely frowned on.

Cheryl

Presumably you didn't check for how completely authentic.....

Ellice

Old February 15th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/10/09 3:18 PM, "lucille" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
There was a gentleman in full Scottish attire in Barnes and Noble in
Nashua
NH

Kilt, knee socks with the garter, an Aran type sweater and sporran. Didn't
look for a dirk, but would be a weapon and severely frowned on.

Cheryl

I've seen that in Manhattan. However, you can see almost anything in
Manhattan if you're there long enough.

Lucille

And you see it here at times. Actually, at the ANG national seminar there
is a couple from Scotland that attend often, and at one of them I do
remember him in the full get-up. Interesting sight.

ellice

Old February 15th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/10/09 6:02 PM, "MargW" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
There was a gentleman in full Scottish attire in Barnes and Noble in Nashua
NH

Kilt, knee socks with the garter, an Aran type sweater and sporran. Didn't
look for a dirk, but would be a weapon and severely frowned on.

Cheryl

I was watching Ace of Cakes the other night, and Duff was wearing a
'utilikilt'

http://www.utilikilts.com/

Duff, a character in his own right. Somehow I wonder at him wandering the
streets of Baltimore - in his kilt, with likely a hockey jersey on top!

And Farley Mowat, the authour, regularly wears a kilt - not just to
formal affairs.

I love the look a a man in a kilt - especially if he has nice legs.

MargW

Ellice

OT thought for the day nana2b Quilting 8 July 24th 05 04:40 PM
Thought you might enjoy this - somewhat off topic Carol Doll Houses 2 December 4th 03 03:40 AM
Off Topic: Good thought and prayers Laurie Beads 10 October 28th 03 07:08 AM
quilting for today on topic-off topic-back to on topic (and long) CNYstitcher Quilting 2 August 29th 03 06:28 PM