OT electric space heaters

Old October 15th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Default OT electric space heaters

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:51:20 -0500, Leslie& The
Furbabies in MO. wrote:
thermostatically controlled, unvented propane fireplace and a big window

Please tell me you've got a working carbon monoxide alarm. Yeah, I know
they're not supposed to need them, but CO alarms are cheap insurance.

Kay

Old October 15th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Yeppers- one in every room. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 16th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Okay, for those (Doc) who poo-poo the idea that tile floors are just
plain cold, let me assure your that I have lived on tile bathroom
floors for most of my 50+ years and the floor IS always cold. I have
lived places with a good, efficient heater in the bathroom and the
floor is STILL cold. The exception, obviously, is in-floor heating.
Nice, but pricey and gotta be willing to pull up the floor and put in
the wires/whatevers.

Leslie, I have the same problem. Warm shower, cold bathroom even
despite having the rest of the house heated to a comfortable temp. We
gt one of those little ceramic heaters. I carry it around with me in
the winter, turn it on for a few minutes while I'm showering and
comfort is maintained. I also use it down in our basement while I sew.
Our big electricity use is in winter. Heating bills go way, way up. We
can have weeks of 0 F during the winter. So we wear layers all the
time. Wool socks and booties in the house. Fleece jackets and vests.
And heat the bathroom for the time we need it warm.

(for the curious, we keep the thermostat set around 60F in the winter.
Nights it will go a good bit lower)

Good luck,
Sunny
Old October 16th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Both kids of ours bought houses in the last year that are about 2-3 years
old. The homes are big and have high ceilings. I was sure that their power
bills would be huge. It is amazing how much more efficient new HVAC,
insulation and generally the new building standards are. Our house is 23
years old and a fairly new energy guzzling machines. (AC, fridge, etc.)
Folks in new homes are really ahead on power costs. We too keep our house
cool and wear lots of layers in the winter.
It is cheaper for us to heat than cool though.
Taria

Old October 16th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 15, 7:47*pm, Sunny wrote:
Okay, for those (Doc) who poo-poo the idea that tile floors are just
plain cold,

Where did I do that? I only disagreed that nothing could be done
about it, and in the explanation *agreed* they're cold.
Old October 16th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

That is radiant heat. Don't always trust spell check!

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:11:24 -0400, Bonnie Patterson
wrote:

I was so happy when our "heat pump" died, it was never warm, it always
blew cold air. Twelve thousand dollars later we have a natural gas
furnace and AC, I love it.
But the best ever heat is gradient floor heat. I prefer the type with
water in tubes, but you can retrofit electric gradient floor heat in a
bathroom fairly easily. You can see it on the DIY shows.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:21:22 -0700, "Taria"
wrote:

DD has a huge bathroom in her new house and has complained about the cold
bathroom. She has central heating and air but added a small heater (that
uses a fan)
last winter. She claimed that only created a draft. I think she is going
to try a radiant type heater this winter. I really don't think there are
very efficient space heaters.
I'll look forward to reading any good solutions too. How are the window
coverings coming along?
I like that you are getting so into this efficient ways to stay comfortable.
We just got back from a visit to out sons home in San Diego. Nice and warm
there but the dampness makes me hurt.
Taria
"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I like a cool bedroom but not a chilly bathroom. Is there a rating system
for small electric space heaters (bathroom is about 12 ft. X 9 ft.) that
rates how energy efficient they are? Is one type of electric heater more
energy efficient than another? (This is for USA heaters and use, of
course.)

TIA!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 16th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

But the best ever heat is gradient floor heat.

That is radiant heat. Don't always trust spell check!

Spell check worked fine. The only possible confusion I could see
would be with *gravity* heat, which usually comes through the floor,
but it hasn't been considered "best ever" since the 19th century (when
it was)... ;-)

Doc

Old October 17th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

has anyone mentioned infrared heat?
we get that in the form of a ceiling heater/light/extraction fan single unit
for bathrooms.
whole thing turns on when you hit the light switch by the door as you enter
and goes off when you hit the light switch on the way out of the room.
i dont know anything else about how they work tho.
just throwing it into the equation as i'm sure someone else knows about
them.
j.

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote ...

Old October 17th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I had one of those once, worked great for what it did, which was a
wall of warmth as you stepped out of the shower. It had no effect on
cold floors though.
Roberta in D

Old October 17th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

We had the 3 bulb version when I was a kid. Boy that was warm and toasty.
those were the days of redi-killowatt though. I shudder to think what the
cost of running one of those is.
Taria

OT Space Shuttle Kate T. Quilting 2 May 20th 09 11:07 PM
A gift of space for you Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 5 December 3rd 07 08:30 PM
VERY OT Water heaters without a tank Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 31 August 14th 07 03:25 AM
I'm Back from Space!!! She in PA Quilting 13 March 6th 06 11:31 PM
My sewing space Debra Quilting 3 October 10th 04 04:37 PM