Please Help Me ID this Nelco (and find a manual)

Old June 28th 05, 06:55 PM

Default Please Help Me ID this Nelco (and find a manual)

Hello:

I bought a used Nelco sewing machine for my 15-year old daughter. She
wants to take classes at JoAnn and I thought this might be a good
machine to start on. I got it at an auction. While I don't know much
about sewing machines in particular, I do know a bit about mechanical
things in general, and this appears to be a well-made little piece of
machinery.

Anyway, I've found some places on-line that have manuals, but I can't
get a definitive model number on this beast.

There is a plate on the front that just says "Sew 'N Go", A serial
number plate on the base with SN R-15462, and a plate under the arm
that has info on the distributor and the phrase "Golden Stitch Series".
I have pics you can view at:

http://www.wallyblackburn.com/nelco

Can anyone please help me get a solid model ID on this machine so that
I can search for a manual?

Thanks in advance,
Wally

PS If anyone on the group needs help identifying a vintage metal lathe
or other piece of metalworking equipment, contact me first .

Old June 29th 05, 03:37 AM

First off - thanks a lot for your reply. Not to question someone who
surely knows more about these things than I do, but there appear to be
a few differences between the machine pictured at that link and mine.
Should I ignore things like different knobs and such?

Unfortunately, there are not pics of the other Nelco models at that
site.

Old June 29th 05, 08:16 PM
Ron Anderson

It is not the same, in fact yours is not even a Nelco. It is the Sew N Go,
also came as Dial N Sew and probably a few others. The threading may be the
same a the other poster states but the patterns and such will be different..

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
oups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 08:47 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Ron Anderson
of SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com uttered
It is not the same, in fact yours is not even a Nelco. It is the Sew N
Go, also came as Dial N Sew and probably a few others. The threading
may be the same a the other poster states but the patterns and such
will be different..

Well, considering that one of the OP's photos was of a badge stating
clearly the name NELCO, perhaps he could be excused for assuming that
this was, in fact, the marque.

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old June 30th 05, 06:07 PM
Ron Anderson

I agree that dealer label is misleading, one might also assume it to be an
Necchi or Elna, or perhaps even made by hand by Mr. Jolsen.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60
Sand Lake, NY 12153
518-469-5133
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com

Old June 30th 05, 10:27 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Ron Anderson
of SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com uttered
I agree that dealer label is misleading, one might also assume it to be
an Necchi or Elna, or perhaps even made by hand by Mr. Jolsen.

No. It says that Jolsen is the dealer, and that he also sells ncchis and
Elnas. The Nelco symbol implies, at least to the uninitiated, that the
machine is manufactured by Nelco.

Tell you what, I'll send you some pics of some of the machines in my
possession, and you can tell me who made them. I reckon I know, but you
might have to look carefully

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old June 30th 05, 10:39 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , She who would like to be
obeyed once every Preston Guild of no.spam uttered
No. It says that Jolsen is the dealer, and that he also sells ncchis
and Elnas. The Nelco symbol implies, at least to the uninitiated, that
the machine is manufactured by Nelco.

Tell you what, I'll send you some pics of some of the machines in my
possession, and you can tell me who made them. I reckon I know, but you
might have to look carefully

I lie - it looks more as if Jolsen also had a hand in making the Nelco
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 1st 05, 03:23 PM
Ron Anderson

I do not wish to debate with you. I can tell you I have forgotten more about
sewing machines than you will ever know.

Old July 1st 05, 03:46 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Ron Anderson
of SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com uttered
I do not wish to debate with you. I can tell you I have forgotten more
about sewing machines than you will ever know.

I don't doubt it. But I bet there are some of the European ones where I
could more than give you a run for your money, hon.
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 2nd 05, 02:11 AM
Alan Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:
In article , Ron Anderson
of SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com uttered

I agree that dealer label is misleading, one might also assume it to
be an Necchi or Elna, or perhaps even made by hand by Mr. Jolsen.

No. It says that Jolsen is the dealer, and that he also sells ncchis and
Elnas. The Nelco symbol implies, at least to the uninitiated, that the
machine is manufactured by Nelco.

Tell you what, I'll send you some pics of some of the machines in my
possession, and you can tell me who made them. I reckon I know, but you
might have to look carefully

Please. Ron is being polite and helpful, and you are responding
belligerently. Please pick a fight with someone else. Me, if you
like... I'm neither use nor ornament here.