Now it's a race........

Old July 8th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now it's a race........

I'm a lousy friend. Sylvia has been fighting breast cancer as long as
I've known her -- about 18 months. I never though to make a quilt for
her. Suddenly, she's gone from fighting to losing. They moved her to
hospice yesterday. Now it's a race to see if I can make her a quilt
before she's gone. It won't be a "real quilt" -- it will be fast and
big squares of the brightest reds and flowers I have in my stash, sewn
together fast and tied to a silky backing. If there are goddesses of
quilting, may they speed my work and help me finish this quilt before
my friend is gone.

Sunny

Old July 8th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You'll do it, Sunny!
..
In message . com, S
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old July 8th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole

Sunny, don't be so hard on yourself. You're a great friend! You'll do
wonderful with the quilt due to all the love you're putting into it. Take
care of yourself.

Carole
Champlain, NY

ups.com...

Old July 8th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Sometimes people hold on for a short period if there is something special
they are looking forward to (granddaughter's wedding, child's graduation,
etc). Tell her you have something special for her and it will be ready in
ten days (or whatever time frame you think you can get it done it). She
just may wait long enough to see it.

S wrote:

I'm a lousy friend. Sylvia has been fighting breast cancer as long as
I've known her -- about 18 months. I never though to make a quilt for
her. Suddenly, she's gone from fighting to losing. They moved her to
hospice yesterday. Now it's a race to see if I can make her a quilt
before she's gone. It won't be a "real quilt" -- it will be fast and
big squares of the brightest reds and flowers I have in my stash, sewn
together fast and tied to a silky backing. If there are goddesses of
quilting, may they speed my work and help me finish this quilt before
my friend is gone.

Sunny

--
Toledo,Ohio

Old July 8th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

S wrote:
I'm a lousy friend. Sylvia has been fighting breast cancer as long as
I've known her -- about 18 months. I never though to make a quilt for
her. Suddenly, she's gone from fighting to losing. They moved her to
hospice yesterday. Now it's a race to see if I can make her a quilt
before she's gone. It won't be a "real quilt" -- it will be fast and
big squares of the brightest reds and flowers I have in my stash, sewn
together fast and tied to a silky backing. If there are goddesses of
quilting, may they speed my work and help me finish this quilt before
my friend is gone.

Sunny

Best of luck, Sunny -- to you *and* to Sylvia. I hope that, if it's
truly the end, it's an easy one for her. I know she'll appreciate the
quilt you're making for her -- and yes, it *will* be a "real quilt",
made with love and care.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old July 10th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

Sending prayers for speedy work --- although, don't give up time with
your friend to make the quilt --- you'll want the time in the long run
more than the quilt memories....

*HUGS* and prayers,
Tricia

Old July 11th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes and support. A
situation has arisen that I never imagined. My friend has developed a
bacterial infection and been moved into an infectious ward. We have to
gown up, put on masks and gloves before going in. There is a chance
that if I give her a quilt, it will ahve to be destroyed as it can't
come out of the room. My red stash is gone, I have cut up pieces of
"favorite" fabric that I was saving for that "special" project. Sylvia
deserves the best. But now my selfish self is raging......I had
imagined her husband would save the quilt, or maybe one of her
daughters. But destroyed??? I'm trying to get something definite, but
this is making me cry. And the kicker is I'm not supposed to go back to
see her again. Because of my health problems I'm on immune system
suppressants. Going to the hospital at all is a no-no for me, but going
into the infectious control unit is like playing Russian Roulette. I
went today -- my DH is out of town hiking or I could never have pulled
it off. She was so very glad to see me. She woke for a bit and we
talked and laughed and promised not to cry. Now I'm sad and sadder and
don't know what to do.

Sorry for posting such a downer. I'm posting a couple pictures of some
of the blocks I've made. I'm crazy quilting -- fast and dirty without
hte pretty stuff that usually goes on top of a crazy quilt. I'm just
throwing Sylvia's favorite colors together fast. Wish I was a better
quilter.

Love life while you have it!
Sunny

Old July 11th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G.

Sounds to me like you are a great friend.......

I know nothing about your situation so I can't help there.....but you have
my prayers as does your friend.

--
Laurie G. in CA
http://community.webshots.com/user/lagrant7

ups.com...

Race Car fabric frood Quilting 5 January 4th 06 06:45 PM
Acrylic paint mural of race car (top view) Dorothy General Crafting 0 November 27th 04 02:53 PM
OT - The Amazing Race Sharon Harper Quilting 18 November 26th 04 08:44 PM
OT - '...We can win the race....' NoraBalcer Yarn 0 October 11th 03 04:43 PM