Order from Nigeria

Old May 17th 04, 04:09 PM
empressbeads

Default Order from Nigeria

I just received a large order from Nigeria! Over $200.00 the shipping to
there is around $200.00. Just a little under their costs for goods. They
want to pay with a credit card. My CC company guarantees funds. But I am
still nervous. I am very excited for the order. Largest order yet!

-Amy Donarumo
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old May 17th 04, 04:15 PM
Karen_AZ

PLEASE be careful. There are countless scams coming out of Nigeria (I think
it's the national pasttime) and many people have gotten burned. I would
contact your credit card company in person to verify their guarantee and
inform them where the buyer is, etc. I hate to rain on your party but better
to know and have every opportunity to protect yourself.

KarenK

Old May 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Black Cat Beads

Amy,

I would stay 99% of all transactions comming out of nigeria are fraudulent!
Watch yourself.

--

Nicole
**********************************

Old May 17th 04, 04:35 PM
Karin Cernik

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

This is a scam, almost certainly. They will ask you to do strange
things with the credit card, and you will end up with an unpaid bill and
no jewelry besides.

My apologies to anyone who is from Nigeria and is a legitimate customer,
but there are just way too many of these going on right now not to be
VERY concerned.

Karin

Old May 17th 04, 05:24 PM
Candace

I'm starting to feel that my congrats were spoken too soon. I had no idea so
many people have trouble with orders from Nigeria. So here's what I'll say
instead...good luck in making the right decision for you, Amy.

~Candace~

Old May 17th 04, 05:42 PM
Lori Greenberg

I wouldn't do it either.

Do a search and see what has gone on in the past. There are many stories of
many credit card (and other) scams from Nigeria.

--
Lori Greenberg
http://www.beadnerd.com

ebay auctions:
http://snipurl.com/5wlc

Old May 17th 04, 05:55 PM
Armand Vine

The big thing with credit cards from Nigeria is that they are stolen
numbers.
I have a $12,000 "cashier's check" drawn on the Bank of America branch in
Atlanta,Ga that was sent by Fedex(it cost them $55 to send it) that is not
worth the paper it is printed on.
There is no government in Nigeria. Until they get the wars resolved and a
stable gov't in place for awhile it is just not worth the risk.
If you want to try to go through with it, tell them you will not ship until
you have cash in hand. This is a good test.
Don't forget they can deny a charge on a CC up to 60 days after it is
posted. Can you "prove" that you shipped the goods AND that they received
them-obviously not- is what the CC co. will ask.
The justice department has a special team set up to deal with Nigerian
frauds because they are so prevalent.
They always sound attractive until you look at the details.
The $12,000 check was for a $1,200 item, BUT they wanted a commission of
$4000 sent to an "agent" as a commission for arranging the sale.
Whenever they mention a third party involvement that is a sure sign of a
scam.
Google "Nigerian scams" and see what you get.
Best of luck. I hate to throw cold water on your delight at geting the
order, but I have "been there done that".
Armand Vine

Old May 17th 04, 06:09 PM
Candace

I did google it, since I have no information at all about this sort of thing
(it not bein something to come up for us) and I found this...which seems to me
like it would fit in well with bead sales.

12. Letter of Credit Scam -- A Nigerian business places a relatively small
(legitimate) order from your company, perhaps $1000 worth of goods. Shortly
thereafter, another order is placed, for a slightly
larger amount, again, paid in full. Suddenly, an urgent order and much larger
is placed, but this one needs to be air freighted on the double! Your Nigerian
partners have just received a lucrative government contract, and if this
shipment arrives on time, it means many more large orders in the near future.
Don't worry about waiting until the bank draft clears... after all, the order
is from our friends in Nigeria, and they have always made good their payments
before.

man, I hate it when a few rotten apples ruin it for the rest of the tree!

~Candace~

Old May 17th 04, 06:47 PM
empressbeads

I am so glad I asked. I guess what they say is true. If you don't feel
good about it then it probably is not a good thing. Women's intuition.
Man, that money was really going to help out around here.

Thank you all very much. I have not gotten a response from them. I asked
for some more personal information and they have not replied back.

Oh well I thought my new advertising strategy was working, but I guess not
to the right customers. I wish people would try to scam larger companies who
have the extra capital.

Thanks so much I am glad for all the info!!

AMy Donarumo
http://www.empressbeads.com