Jump Ring Help!

Old March 6th 04, 04:27 PM
Charlie

Default Jump Ring Help!

Ok, to fill orders I need to obtain somewhere in the region of 800 Sterling
Silver jump rings very quickly. My supplier has gone out of stock and I am
not prepared to pay £50 for something when I would usually get it for £20.
Can anyone either:

a) Recommend somewhere in the UK to buy them from.

b) Recommend somewhere abroad who have reasonable prices, postage and who
are quick to post

c) Recommend a good way of cutting them. BF has a Draper multi tool (like a
Dremel but better apparently) but the blades weren't thin enough to make a
good clean cut without losing too much metal, I haven't seen any thinner
blades made for multi tool either. Do jump rings come out just as well if
you cut them with good wire cutters? I've contemplated trying it, but would
like to know if anyone else has done it before me, if it doesn't work then
it saves me wasting wire.

Charlie.

Old March 6th 04, 04:45 PM
roxan

Here is a tutorial on making your own jump rings which is very easy to do.
All you need is round sterling silver wire.
Roxan

http://www.jagwear.8m.net/jumpring.htm

Old March 6th 04, 05:01 PM
Charlie

Thanks for the link... that was how I made some before but the blade of the
multi tool just is too thick and I can't find any thin ones which is why I
wondered if it would work with wire cutters.

Old March 6th 04, 05:19 PM
Harry

Here is a comparison web page so you can see how to make them:
http://www.chainmailman.com/mmmframe...comp.html~main
Hope this helps you.

Harry

My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw
Old March 6th 04, 06:10 PM
Margie

wrote:

b) Recommend somewhere abroad who have reasonable prices, postage and who
are quick to post

Have you checked with Lynda?
www.thebeadgoddess.com

Don't know if she ships overseas but I've bought her jump rings and I
know they're well made.

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old March 6th 04, 06:36 PM
Helen Page

Charlie wrote:
Thanks for the link... that was how I made some before but the blade
of the multi tool just is too thick and I can't find any thin ones
which is why I wondered if it would work with wire cutters.

What if you make the rings slightly bigger than you need to compensate for
the loss when you cut them?

Old March 6th 04, 07:53 PM
Christina Peterson

I believe wire cutters will pinch them into a V at the end instead of giving
you two straight cuts to match up.

Tina

Old March 6th 04, 10:14 PM
Shirley Shone

When I made my jump rings I used to wind the silver wire around a metal
mandrill with a v cut in the end. Then using a piercing saw with a very
fine blade I would saw through the top of the coiled wire. Making sure I
had something underneath to catch them as they dropped off.
Shirley

In article 1078602816.47457@prawn, Christina Peterson
writes

Old March 7th 04, 04:38 AM
Karen Chan

A gal I know gave me the following tip on making jump rings:

She said to use flush cutters to cut the rings off the coil, and use two
snips for each ring.

For the first snip, put the flat side toward the ring you're cutting
off. This makes the "v" cut in the end on the coil. The second snip
comes when you flip the flush cutter around so you'll make a flat cut on
the coil (you get a double-pointy bit that you throw away), and then to
complete that (second) ring, flip the flush cutters over again so the
flat side is to the ring.

I know this probably sounds confusing -- you just keep turning the flush
cutters over and back, basically, to make two flat ends to each ring,
rather than one flat and one pointy.

I hope this helps!
Karen

Silver jump rings? Harry Beads 18 January 27th 04 05:42 PM
Split Ring Pliers MarieAcampora Beads 6 November 1st 03 07:56 PM
TIDBITS 08/31/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 September 1st 03 08:33 PM