Fiddler on the Roof costumes

Old February 17th 05, 05:18 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Default Fiddler on the Roof costumes

Okay guys - I'm tearing my hair out on this one: is it okay for a Tallit
(Jewish prayer shawl) to have dark green stripes instead of the blue that is
traditionally used? There are no people of Jewish ancestry to ask and we
certainly don't want to cause any offense with our costumes for the
'menfolk' in our dance of "Fiddler on the Roof".
Thanks!
Cynthia

Old February 17th 05, 09:11 AM
BEI Design

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Okay guys - I'm tearing my hair out on this one: is it okay
for a Tallit (Jewish prayer shawl) to have dark green stripes
instead of the blue that is traditionally used? There are no
people of Jewish ancestry to ask and we certainly don't want to
cause any offense with our costumes for the 'menfolk' in our
dance of "Fiddler on the Roof".
Thanks!
Cynthia

I Googled for "Tallit", and several sites came up. One had a green striped
Tallit:

ttp://makeashorterlink.com/?U4FF26F7A

Since the site is http://www.ajudaica.com/ and says it's "Your contact with
Israel", I would tend to think that green would be perfectly fine. BIANJ
;-|

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old February 17th 05, 09:14 AM
BEI Design

BEI Design wrote:

ttp://makeashorterlink.com/?U4FF26F7A

Sorry, of course that should be http://makeashorterlink.com/?U4FF26F7A

I have started using a new browser, and the whole copy-paste thing doesn't
work very well.

Old February 17th 05, 05:18 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Thank you, Beverly!
As usual, this group always comes through in a pinch! Because the dancers
will be wearing vests the whole time, I am not making the full tallit, but
only the 'ends' and attaching them to the bottom of the vest. I am going
for the look and feel for this dance, but did not want to offend anyone in
the process. (The chances of their being anyone Jewish is slim, but even
so....The most likely scenario for disaster would be to have a Jewish
adjudicator and making a costume faux pas!) I strive to keep all character
costumes within budget while still maintaining authenticity - and to me,
they need the prayer shawl for that.
Cynthia

Old February 17th 05, 09:44 PM
Pat in Virginia

YOu might want to post this question on RCTQ, the
quilting folks. We have a Rabbinical Student there
who makes gorgeous Tallit. She quilts too. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old February 17th 05, 11:06 PM
BEI Design

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Thank you, Beverly!
As usual, this group always comes through in a pinch! Because
the dancers will be wearing vests the whole time, I am not
making the full tallit, but only the 'ends' and attaching them
to the bottom of the vest. I am going for the look and feel
for this dance, but did not want to offend anyone in the
process. (The chances of their being anyone Jewish is slim,
but even so....The most likely scenario for disaster would be
to have a Jewish adjudicator and making a costume faux pas!) I
strive to keep all character costumes within budget while still
maintaining authenticity - and to me, they need the prayer
shawl for that.
Cynthia

You're welcome. I agree, striving not to offend is a Very Good Thing.

Old February 18th 05, 12:20 AM
Arri London

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

Thank you, Beverly!
As usual, this group always comes through in a pinch! Because the dancers
will be wearing vests the whole time, I am not making the full tallit, but
only the 'ends' and attaching them to the bottom of the vest. I am going
for the look and feel for this dance, but did not want to offend anyone in
the process. (The chances of their being anyone Jewish is slim, but even
so....The most likely scenario for disaster would be to have a Jewish
adjudicator and making a costume faux pas!) I strive to keep all character
costumes within budget while still maintaining authenticity - and to me,
they need the prayer shawl for that.
Cynthia

If you want authenticity, the tassels of the tallit should have a blue
thread tying the tassel Some tallit have no coloured stripe in the
body of the shawl anyway.
Old February 18th 05, 12:41 AM
nana2b

Hi Cynthia, Most of the traditional Tallit have the blue stripe. The more
modern ones run the gamut, but they all have the same number of Tizzi
(tassels) 613 to be exact. This is the number of Mitzvot (good deeds) that
the Torah commands. The undergarment that you speak of is a vest with the
tizzit hanging outside the clothing. HTH, Nana

Old February 18th 05, 09:05 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Thank you, Nana!
I figured out that the shawl was done as a vest for those historical
costumes and I really wanted to include the image of the shawl because to me
it is a very important part of who the people were. I very much appreciate
the help!
Cynthia

Old February 19th 05, 12:42 AM
nana2b

Cynthia, The Tzitzi are worn all the time because it is commanded that way
in the Torah. Very interesting customs for different segments of Judaism.
Good luck with the play. It is one of my favorites and I was Chava in
Fiddler when I was in High School. Nana