Cotton or Polyester Thread

Old February 3rd 05, 02:53 AM
clancy

Default Cotton or Polyester Thread

Do you prefer one kind of thread to another - cotton or polyester - when
making quilts? I hear people say they'd never use anything but cotton but
some of the work I've seen, the thread looks fuzzy to me, especially after a
stippling has been done. Just wondering.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old February 3rd 05, 03:58 AM
Kate G.

One line of thought is that if you use 100% cotton fabrics.... then you
should use 100% cotton thread because polyester is stronger... and over time
as the cotton fibers in the quilt "age" and "weaken".... the polyster will
stay strong and could in time tear the fabric...

Kate in MI

Old February 3rd 05, 08:05 AM
Patti

Hullo Sharon
It's not just a divide between cotton and polyester! there are many
different qualities of cotton thread. Some cotton thread *is* less
smooth than polyester, but other types are just gorgeous. I was told,
on this group, about Aurifil. It actually looks like polyester at first
glance, because there is a slight sheen. It is just beautiful to work
with. I am sure it is not the only one of this quality, but I have now
bought a stock of it and hope never to go back to ordinary cotton
thread. There is hardly any lint, and it never looks fuzzy. I have
never had any fuzziness in quilting with the YLI quilting threads. They
are a heavier weight thread.
Polyester threads vary, too, of course.

In article , clancy
writes
Do you prefer one kind of thread to another - cotton or polyester - when
making quilts? I hear people say they'd never use anything but cotton but
some of the work I've seen, the thread looks fuzzy to me, especially after a
stippling has been done. Just wondering.

Sharon (N.B.)
................................................. ...........................

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 3rd 05, 11:52 AM
georg

clancy wrote:

Do you prefer one kind of thread to another - cotton or polyester - when
making quilts? I hear people say they'd never use anything but cotton but
some of the work I've seen, the thread looks fuzzy to me, especially after a
stippling has been done. Just wondering.

I just inherently prefer cotton. I don't like man-made threads. I've
never had a problem with fuzziness.

You may want to ask the maker of a fuzzy-appearing quilt to find out
what thread brand and type they used. Now go talk to a non-fuzzy. See
what the differences are.

-georg
Old February 3rd 05, 01:02 PM
Kate Dicey

clancy wrote:

Do you prefer one kind of thread to another - cotton or polyester - when
making quilts? I hear people say they'd never use anything but cotton but
some of the work I've seen, the thread looks fuzzy to me, especially after a
stippling has been done. Just wondering.

Sharon (N.B.)

I use good quality cotton (often Gutterman or Empress mills) and I don't
get the fuzzies. YLI and Mettler are good too, and I hear good things
of Aurofil, but have yet to find it in the UK.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 3rd 05, 03:01 PM
clancy

Thanks ladies - I'm going to try and find some of the threads mentioned
here - then I'll test it myself. I'm all for natural stuff so maybe I'll
make a big change in my quilting habits. Thanks again.

Sharon (N.B.)

"Patti" wrote in message
[...]

................................................. ..........................

..

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old February 3rd 05, 06:34 PM
Patti

Hullo Kate
Cotton Patch (Hall Green, Birmingham) stock the whole range of Aurifil.
I can't quite remember their website, so you had better Google them; but
their service is great.
..
In article , Kate
Dicey writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 3rd 05, 06:38 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I often have a problem w/ fuzziness
and it has nothing to do w/ polyester or cotton thread.

made w/ poly/cotton thread--no problems. Maybe sometime
somewhere in the great quilt galaxy poly thread has cut
cotton fabric, I dunno', I don't get out that far. g
Test drive different sewing threads, find what works
for the individual taste, the individual project, and have fun:
It's Just Quilting! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--fuzzy on some things, not-so-fuzzy on others

Old February 3rd 05, 06:45 PM
clancy

You're right Sandy - what's a fuzzy between friends? :-)) I find
sometimes when you go to quilt shops, some people make you think it's almost
sacriligious to use poly/cotton thread - it just gets one to thinking, so I
thought I'd ask on this group for opinions.

Sharon (N.B.)
..

om...

Old February 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
Julia in MN

I usually use the Coats and Clark Star thread. It doesn't seem to leave
as much lint in my machine as the C&C Dual Duty thread does. I also like
the Mettler Silk-Finish Cotton thread, but it is considerably more
expensive than the Star thread. I haven't tried the Aurafil

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/