ATTN: Sewgirls readers, SEWGIRLS IS BREAKING THE LAW!!!!

Old January 29th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan[_3_]

Default ATTN: Sewgirls readers, SEWGIRLS IS BREAKING THE LAW!!!!

Sewgirls is STEALING posts from newsgroups and posting them on their
own site and on Twitter. This is BREAKING COPYRIGHT LAWS and is
ILLEGAL! Do you *really* want to be part of this ILLEGAL group? I'd
think not!

Joan, posting FROM rec.crafts.textiles.needlework and NOT sewgirls or
twitter!!!

Taking a different tack on this, I'm now joining the fight to inform
the idiots running the sewgirls site and making it more obvious to the
casual readers that what they're doing is ILLEGAL!

Copyright 2012 -- permission given to post on Usenet and Google Groups
newsreader, but if found on Sewgirls orTwitter it has been republished
without my
permission and is ILLEGAL!

ATN
Old January 30th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sewgirls.com[_3_]

responding to
http://www.sewgirls.com/needlework/A...LAW-87640-.htm
sewgirls.com wrote:
NDJoan wrote:

Sewgirls is STEALING posts from newsgroups and posting them on their
own site and on Twitter. This is BREAKING COPYRIGHT LAWS and is
ILLEGAL! Do you *really* want to be part of this ILLEGAL group? I'd
think not!

Joan, you need to take a deep breath and cool down before starting to
throw unfounded accusations around. SewGirls.com is operating a Web based
interface to r.c.t.n and 5 other sewing-related usenet groups. This is a
free, fully featured newsreader replacement for people that for any reason
cannot or would not use a newsreader software to access the group.

We do not break any laws because:

1. We claim no rights on the work of others.

2. We use your messages EXACTLY as you intended: to initiate or advance a
discussion about the particular topic, needlework for example.

3. We use our resources and efforts to provide your messages with
additional audience - it is assumed that you would not have used Usenet if
you wanted a limited or tightly controlled audience. It is further assumed
that you did not intend your content for sale (it's already available to
all people using Usenet for free).

4. Since you've chosen to use NNTP protocol that has no mechanism for
restricting distribution or exact addressing of the messages, your message
appears on *all* NNTP servers once *you* hit the "Send" button, SewGirls
is just one of them. There is no RE-POSTING going on here. There's no
monkey copying and pasting your messages - they are sent and received
using the protocol of your choosing almost instantaneously. I'm just a
tech and not a lawyer but may I just suggest that if you really wanted to
restrict distribution of your messages, you would be much better off using
Yahoo Groups with moderated membership. That and a private email list of
course.

4. We do not misappropriate or plagiarize your message - all authors are
clearly identified (although many use pseudonyms).

5. We provide a way for you as the copyright owner to exercise your right
to restrict distribution of your content. Our Terms of Service, Paragraph
6 http://www.sewgirls.com/tos.php outline the customary information
required. We did not invent that procedure to make it more difficult for
you to remove your content from this site. We are simply following the
law.

Unless we receive the note that contains the appropriate information, we
cannot know if this is really you requesting removal of your content or
it's your nemesis that just wants to shut you up (see Item 3 about us
giving your words additional audience).

Amidst all the hoopla surrounding SewGirls.com website in the last few
days only one person (!) was diligent enough to actually follow the law
and provide us with an official DMCA notice. Candy M., I hope you've
received my thank you message.

We do not accept the copyright infringement charge but we *always* remove
the content mentioned in the DMCA notice. In fact, it's customary among
all ISPs out there to do it this way simply because it's really not worth
anyone's time and effort to try to convince you otherwise. The private
information in the DMCA is kept off-line (literally on paper) and is safe
with us.

Our Twitter updates seem to irk a lot of people here. I have to assume
that this is because they appear as if they are literally typed by us. I
can assure you that there was no nefarious reason behind omitting the
author's name, only the very tight space limitation. I will bring that
issue up with the coders and hopefully a workaround can be found. The
updates are just that - bits of information that let you know that a new
discussion has been started. If you like, you can receive the Twit on a
smart phone and then open your newsreader software to get the actual
thread - we are not forcing you to go to SewGirls.com to actually read the
discussion.

From the copyright stand point, the Twits are covered under the "fair use"
doctrine. Once again, we are just trying to put your message in front of
as many people as possible. And, using Usenet myself since around 1995, I
can see first hand that there is no good group out there right now that
could not use a few fresh pairs of eyes.

The service we operate is very similar to Google Groups albeit on a tiny
scale. I use them as an example because I see that you feel the need to
give them a special pass at what you libel as STEALING here. They are a
multibillion dollar company that does not care to delete spam from this
group's message list for months and good luck talking to any human being
at Google, too. They don't need your permission either because with their
army of lawyers they would most likely crush you with counter lawsuits
citing libel if you were to bring a fight to them. And yet they got your
permission. Seems a bit unfair.

Joan, I am looking forward to receiving DMCA notice(s) from you and
everyone else not interested in their messages being read outside a
newsreader software. Hopefully, once I will process them, this groups can
finally resume its normal activity and get some needlework-related
discussions going.

With best regards,
Dimitri
SewGirls.com Development Team

P.S. This message will self-destruct in 5 sec. Literally. The original
post I'm replying to does contain libel and will have to be removed. After
that I won't be able to see it or any replies to it. I never said this is
a perfect system... But I can always be reached on the email address
easily decipherable from my nick as well as via the SewGirls.com contact
form http://www.sewgirls.com/contact.php

Old January 30th 12, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in Calif

sewgirls.com wrote:

Amidst all the hoopla surrounding SewGirls.com website in the last few
days only one person (!) was diligent enough to actually follow the law
and provide us with an official DMCA notice. Candy M., I hope you've
received my thank you message.

You've now received mine.

COPYRIGHT 2012 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/21/12 -- Dragon Dreams 2001 freebie, "June - Moonstone"

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
(also on Facebook)
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

For the readers [email protected] Needlework 1 February 15th 10 01:28 PM
Attn: Copyright Law Experts Patricia Amos Needlework 23 July 23rd 07 07:03 PM
For UK readers annie, england Quilting 4 February 28th 05 08:17 AM
Attn: Canadian and Alaskan readers Seanette Blaylock Needlework 7 July 1st 04 01:55 AM