Pricing help needed ...

Old August 28th 03, 05:50 PM
Deirdre S.

I keep saying that for me, copper is the 'real thing' instead of
cheap, practice materials. I adore its sheen and color, and actually
prefer the look to gold or silver in lots of settings.

Thank you, to everyone who has commented on the copper...

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:51:42 -0400, "laura"
wrote:

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
.. .
Well, duh!

Try this instead:

http://www.picturetrail.com/dsand

I like those a *lot*. Very nice; especially love the hammered copper!

Laura

Old August 28th 03, 06:09 PM
Deirdre S.

Thank you. I got the ocean jasper at a local gem faire in July, and
have been drooling over it ever since. I love how -different- each
individual bead can be, and yet still all be -one thing-, ocean
jasper.

Deirdre

On 28 Aug 2003 16:36:38 GMT, ospam (Carol in SLC)
wrote:

I have uploaded a few pictures of new work to my picturetrail site at:

http://www.picturetrail.com/dsand

The hammered copper spiral necklace ROCKS and I love your ocean jasper necklace
also!

Carol in SLC

Old August 28th 03, 08:01 PM
starlia

So do I. I did one of my daughter's 16th birthday presents in jasper and
some stunning dicro lampwork. It was before I could do lampwork and it cost
more than anything else on the necklace. It turned out so beautiful that I
borrow it every once in a while. At least I'm paying her back for all the
times she gets into my jewelry box.

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Thank you ... I am very partial to all sorts of jasper. I gravitate to
it whenever I see it.

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:44:16 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

OOOH, i love the jasper necklaces. I sure wish i could help with the

pricing as
well...I'll be lurking around to see others' answers so that I can learn

a thing or
two.

Old August 28th 03, 08:02 PM
Deirdre S.

Sounds entirely equitable to me :-)

Deirdre

Old August 28th 03, 08:06 PM
starlia

That's why I don't sell any of my loom work. It takes hours and hours on
the loom, not including coming up with the initial designs. They are for my
pleasure only.

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
I fear that in most venues, even $10/hr may not be realistic for seed
bead work...

But $30 is a lovely thought. From your mouth to the marketing gods'
ears...

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:06:17 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Right now, I find that my $30/hr
is a pipe dream, but I do have hopes for it picking up.

Old August 28th 03, 08:16 PM
Deirdre S.

I may end up there with several of my favorite kinds of things to make
.... the market just won't sustain doing it for sale, so I'll have to
do it for satisfaction, and do -other- things for sale. Now I am at
the beginning of figuring out which is which.

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:06:05 -0500, "starlia"
wrote:

That's why I don't sell any of my loom work. It takes hours and hours on
the loom, not including coming up with the initial designs. They are for my
pleasure only.

.. .

Old August 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Dr. Sooz

Picture?

I did one of my daughter's 16th birthday presents in jasper and
some stunning dicro lampwork. It was before I could do lampwork and it cost
more than anything else on the necklace. It turned out so beautiful that I
borrow it every once in a while.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old August 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Tante Lina

Deirdre S. wrote in message ...
I keep saying that for me, copper is the 'real thing' instead of
cheap, practice materials. I adore its sheen and color, and actually
prefer the look to gold or silver in lots of settings.

Me too! I also thought that copper necklace was wonderful.

As far as pricing goes, my *ideal* method is to add up the cost of my
materials and the hourly rate for assembly (what you would pay someone else
to do it, which is probably your $10 an hour figure), and double it. The
rationale for this is the same as in retail, if you can't make 100% profit
on an item, you probably shouldn't bother selling it. If you can sell items
with the above formula, you could theoretically hire someone to assemble for
you. Then if there was design time, I try to add a 15% profit over that.
Sometimes this needs to be adjusted downward for the situation (when you
compare your price / merchandise to the other stuff on the site, for
instance. Or if the materials cost for an item is especially high, I'll sell
them at cost to make the item more affordable.)

Thought you might be interested in a tip from the Reactive Metals catalog.
They suggest shoe polish as an anti-tarnish coating for copper and brass!
I've not tried it yet.

* TL *

Old August 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Dr. Sooz

I sell my off-loom work now, to people I care about -- and I charge several
hundred dollars, minimum, for each bracelet.

Old August 28th 03, 09:04 PM
Deirdre S.

OK, I'll bite ... what kind of shoe polish? I've heard of polishing
with a 'hard' wax, like carnauba, and I did in fact use that on the
necklace in question. But it was sold as car polish, not shoe
polish...

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:51:44 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

They suggest shoe polish as an anti-tarnish coating for copper and brass!
I've not tried it yet.

OT Help needed with spammer Deborah Beads 0 August 27th 03 01:11 AM
OT ~ Firewall help needed! bluemaxx Beads 7 August 14th 03 12:45 AM
More good thoughts needed saucy Beads 3 August 8th 03 10:18 PM
Good Luck Vibes needed please Beadbimbo Beads 5 August 3rd 03 04:27 PM
OT sort of - web graphics needed, trade for beads? Kandice Seeber Beads 6 July 12th 03 10:52 PM