Fraud Allert

Old December 30th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
[email protected]

Default Fraud Allert

I would like to alert artists and craft people of a fraud that is
going around the internet. There are many variations on this theme,
but it basically goes like this;

A response to one of your adds, or an inquiry about your work is
directed to you that goes like this:

[ "Hello,

Is your art/craft still available for sale and in perfect
condition." ]

or [ Hello,
My name is (xxx ) and I need the purchase of a Photo Artwork. I saw
your Advert on (xxx.com.) Can you provide Prints with the following
details: Landscape/wildlife photography on any print i.e colour/
black&white matted on 12x24 , or the largest prints you have. I am
interested in purchasing any two of these specified. How much does
each cost? It is needed for an exhibition in Australia. ]

In both cases you will notice that they are rather vague about the
descriptions. These people are probably sending out these emails in
the hundreds or thousands in the hopes that one or two gullible people
will fall for their fraud. They don’t even take the time to check
out your work. I always respond to the initial inquiry, because you
never know at first who is for real and not. The fraud will usually
show up early on. They will answer you back with something like
this:

[ “Hello
Thanks for your response to my enquiry, I am satisfied with the
condition of your art/craft and am really interested in the
Art/Craft. I will be making the payment by Cashier's check/Money Order
but I will include some money on the check/Money Order to cover the
moving expenses of the art/craft
Due to my tight schedule, I will be sending someone down to pick up
the art/craft for me. When you get the payment you deduct your money
and have the remaining sent to him via western union or money gram
then
the person can come down for the pick up. If you are okay with this
arrangement kindly provide me with the details below:

Full Names:
Full address (No P.O. Box):
City:
Zip Code:
State:
Home Phone:]

The overpayment is a big tip off here. Also these guys never want to
meet in person or they are too distant to do so. Any time anyone asks
for banking info is another tip off. There is never a need to give
out any banking information, and usually there is no need to give out
your address on any legitimate transactions. Beware of accepting
checks from distant locations. They can pass checks that look legit,
but they are worthless. When they go through the bank your bank
account number can be delivered back to the originator of the
fraudulent check. Check with your bank about any checks that you have
questions about. And always make sure you have funds before you
deliver anything to anybody that you have any suspicions about. You
can contact me @ www.richardnickson.com or www.freeprintablegreetingcards.info

Credit card fraud. Pat P[_2_] Needlework 24 September 14th 08 07:07 PM
OT Bankcard Fraud Carolyn McCarty Quilting 23 August 11th 08 10:15 PM
Bernina fraud on eBay sewfine Sewing 19 August 10th 07 03:09 AM
...THIS GUY is a FRAUD and is on Drugs 2 Sue Walker Beads 0 May 21st 06 04:19 PM