Maple Leaf Advice Needed

Old July 9th 03, 07:27 PM
Pati Cook

Default Maple Leaf Advice Needed

That is close to what I was thinking. Or use a darker neutral for the
sashing......... But I do like maple leaf blocks on point.

I also like the first one, but would put a narrow sashing between the four blocks
in a unit, and a wider sashing between the units of 4......

Pati, in Phx

Lisa Ellis wrote:

I vote for the last arrangement. I always like on point settings! If you
wanted to have the leaves look as if they are floating, you could light colored
sashing. This would work even through you have different back grounds in each
block. If you wanted to play and really complicate things, you would use
different light materials for the sashing.

lisae

"M. Wetmore" wrote:

I settled on a Maple Leaf block, on a whim, to construct on my first
camping/quilting experience. I really didn't think about how I would
use the blocks in a quilt.

Most of the Maple Leaf quilts I see have the leaves on the same light
colored background with sashing the same as the background block
color. This makes the leaves look like they are floating.

But, I have a different beige fabric as the background for each block.
So, I'm not sure how to arrange them on a quilt.

If you go to http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/mapleleaf/mapleleaf.html
you will see some arrangements I am considering.

The first is kind of interesting in that it creates secondary patterns
with the beige fabric.

The second is how it would look with a beige neutral used as the
sashing.

The third is how it would look with a complementary color as the
sashing.

And the last is how it would look on point with complementary color
sashing.

Does anyone have any preferences here or other ways I could construct
the quilt?

Thanks.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old July 13th 03, 07:24 PM
shhdesigns

Hi Mardi
When I did my Amish leaves I did them all twisty turny. Personally I don't
like the look of the four stems together. But it's your quilt and do what
pleases you the most. I tend to think that they land twisty turny and
that's how I did mine.
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
how about toss them at random? I mean, all in different directions? I
like the sashing fabric, though.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 14th 03, 02:37 AM
shhdesigns

Hi Mardi
When I did my maple leaves I didn't do any sashing, just added borders. But
my background was black and so were my borders. Try laying it out without
sashing "tossed" and then with the borders you described, then "tossed" with
the neutral sashing and the borders you described. I think if you did rust
sashing all you'll see is the sashing and not the leaves.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
news
Well, I have all 30 blocks done. I have decided on the "tossed"
leaves look. I still am debating whether to use the neutral fabric
for the sashing or a "rust" colored fabric for the sashing. I have
decided to do a border of half square triangle blocks consisting of
the fabrics I used for the leaves and the beige neutral fabrics I used
for the backing.

How would it look if I did a 1 1/2 inch neutral sashing, tossed
leaves, small border of a rust fall color tone-on-tone, the half
square triangle blocks border and then another small rust border.
Binding???

Mardi

Old July 14th 03, 07:56 AM
Patti

Hullo Mardi
I know it is one of my favourites, and a good standby - but none the
worse for that!! I love a mixed fabric binding: using all the colours
in the quilt - for you this would be all the leaf colours. Cut strips
from the colours in the correct binding widths, but to random lengths.
Join them (set together at right angles and join with a seam diagonally
across the resulting square), press them, and then use as ordinary
binding. I do use a single binding if I do it this way, because of all
the seam bulk. It would be especially fitting, as you are going to
place the leaves in a topsy turvy way.
..
In article , M. Wetmore
writes
Well, I have all 30 blocks done. I have decided on the "tossed"
leaves look. I still am debating whether to use the neutral fabric
for the sashing or a "rust" colored fabric for the sashing. I have
decided to do a border of half square triangle blocks consisting of
the fabrics I used for the leaves and the beige neutral fabrics I used
for the backing.

How would it look if I did a 1 1/2 inch neutral sashing, tossed
leaves, small border of a rust fall color tone-on-tone, the half
square triangle blocks border and then another small rust border.
Binding???

Mardi

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 19th 03, 06:12 PM
Dr. Quilter

I like that you decided to go with tossed (my choice!) and I think I
would put the neutral sashing. I would also add neutral around before
the rust frame, not just between the leaves. and maybe bind it with the
rust too? it will blend into the last border.... or use a green, to
frame it.... some of your leaves have green, right? maybe a leafy green
fabric?