is 400 bucks a good price for a pfaff 1042?

Old July 13th 03, 04:38 AM
Dr. Quilter

Default is 400 bucks a good price for a pfaff 1042?

I got an ad for this machine for that price, and my birthday is coming
up. is this a good machine? there is a cheaper and a more expensive
model too listed in the leaflet... any advice?
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 13th 03, 05:48 AM
Megan Vest

That sounds like a pretty average price for a new 1042. I could find out
exactly what blue book price is for you tomorrow if that would help.
Megan

Old July 13th 03, 06:03 AM
KCK

My advice would be to go visit that Pfaff dealer and check out the line
of machines in that price range. A quick search on www.pfaff-talk.com
doesn't pull up much about the 1042, but perhaps you could ask that
group about it as well, especially since it's a current model that is
listed on the www.pfaff.com web site. Someone at pfaff-talk posted
something to the effect that the current 1xxx line being made by
Janome, so I'd probably check out the Janome dealer too, if that tidbit
is correct. Hey, I'm not an authority on machines by any means,
especially Pfaff, but just read what everyone says about them (I love
talking about sewing machines), but if you're in the market for a
mechanical machine in that price range, I think you need to check out
the offerings from the various companies, including trade-ins from the
dealers. Bernina's mechanical (not the Bernette) sells for around $600,
and I know that Viking has a line of affordable mechanicals too (don't
know who makes them). Good luck and happy shopping!

--

KCK ( in Texas)
Take out the DOG before sending email

Website: http://kckintz.home.att.net/

Old July 14th 03, 05:59 AM
Loren in Seattle

When I bought my machine, I went to dealers for each of the 3 major brands I
was interested in. I let them know what I wanted to spend and asked for the
best machine for the price, I was looking for good quality and not lots of
fancy stitches and frills. Then I sewed on each of those machines for a
long time. I went back with my own piece of fabric and played with each of
the machines I was considering for at least a half hour apiece. I told the
dealer that I just wanted to sew for a while without anyone looking over my
shoulder and trying to sell me. Pretty much they just left me alone to have
fun. It really helped to get a feel for the machines.

Happy shopping,
Loren in Seattle

Old July 19th 03, 05:35 PM
Dr. Quilter

not really looking for a new machine, though the tension in my old
Fashionmate that I use for machine quilting sometimes kills me and I
lust for one - but I got the flyier and was wondering if it was a good
buy.... if this one ever dies, I'll be in the market and follow your
suggestion...