Wash before or after binding?

Old July 14th 03, 10:56 AM
Dumpling

HI

Not if you buy the really good stuff! I always use Warm & Natural.

....Fran...

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:43:05 +1000, "Sharon Harper"
wrote:

You do that? Oops! Never mind, I quite like the wrinkled look. Anyways
wouldnt' the batting fall apart?

Old July 14th 03, 07:54 PM
WoodenSpools

I prewash all of my fabric the moment it comes in the door and I do prewash
my Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting, too - but I do find that the quilt shrinks
even more with the first washing. Nice 'n crinkled.
Prewashing fabric is a technique called "hiding the new purchases".......I
toss the fabric immediately in the washer and add clothes to wash - DH never
sees what I've bought. :-)
I really needn't hide it all, but it's sortof a game we play. If I mention
I bought $10 worth of stuff at the quilt shop then he mock-jumps up and says
he needs to order $110 worth of race car parts. He reasons that's fair.
Buckeye Bev
"Julia in MN" wrote in message
I prewash all my fabric, but not batting, before I use it. I also wash
all my quilts after binding. I often use Crayola washable markers for
marking, so I need to wash to remove the markings. I also want to wash
out any oil that my hands left on the quilt or other soiling that may
have occurred while I was working on the quilt. I would hesitate to
wash before binding before binding unless the edges are securely
finished with a zigzag or serger. I wash in the machine with regular
detergent and dry in the dryer.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old July 15th 03, 01:27 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sharon:
Just cause I'm nosy ... how much quilting did you put in the
quilt? Maybe next time you need more quilting, as well as a
better or different grade of cloth, as Sandy and Roberta have
discussed. Batting, fabric, quilting. It all works together.
PAT in VA/USA
Old July 16th 03, 01:36 AM
BarbQuilts

I asked her for more specifics and it all boils down to wanting a perfectly
flat and square quilt. She just swishes it around a bit in the washer to
get any markings out, then pins it to her carpet using her rulers to be sure
it's exactly square. If she wants more crinkles, she'll wash it again.
Still didn't tell me why it's done before binding, but she's following some
magazine article's directions. Her quilts do look good and she has won some
prizes at our large quilt show, but she's in the minority as far as doing it
this way I think.

I will never be doing all this and certainly not before binding. I do
square it up before I attach the binding.

--
Barb Quilts aka Barb C
..

"KCK" wrote in message
Oh, I'm all for washing simplicity. I wash my quilts in a machine and
put them in a fairly hot dryer before I give them away, so the
recipients can be assured that there won't be any surprises.

I'm more curious *why* someone would want to wash the quilt prior to
binding it. Is there an advantage I'm not thinking of? Won't the quilt
get washed at some other time following the binding anyway?

--

KCK ( in Texas)
Take out the DOG before sending email

Website: http://kckintz.home.att.net/

"Tracey" wrote:

I sometimes wash my quilts before I bind them. I trim the edges,

zigzag
stitch all around (I'd serge if I had a serger, but I don't) and then

wash
in the washing machine. My washing method to wash quilts in the

washer,
then dry in the dryer. Don't have a heart attack. I've never had a
problem. And even if I did, I'd just make another one to replace it!

(Of
course I only machine piece, machine quilt, and intend my quilts to be

used
and loved and eventually worn out).

Old July 19th 03, 05:03 PM
Dr. Quilter

wow, that sounds dangerous. doesn't the batting get messed up around the
edges during the wash? I've always done it the way you do it,
prewashing fabric but not batting. washed quilts just look cuddly (I
don't do it for WHs)

BarbQuilts wrote:
I have always sewn on both sides of the binding and then washed my quilts to
get some puckering. A couple of my quilting friends are washing their
quilts before they attach the binding at all. (My fabric and backing are
already prewashed, but not the batting.)

I am curious what you all do.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 19th 03, 05:04 PM
Dr. Quilter

washer and drier. no secrets. unless it is an antique you are trying to
preserve.

C. Mathews wrote:
In this same vein, I was wondering how to wash my quilt. Can it be put in
the washer??? Will the seams break if it is spun dry..How about the dryer.
I sure wouldn't relish getting it all done and then messing up.
I prewashed all my material, but not the Warm and Natural. Should I have?
How about when it gets dirty...how do you all do it?
Carla
"BarbQuilts" wrote in message

I have always sewn on both sides of the binding and then washed my quilts

get some puckering. A couple of my quilting friends are washing their
quilts before they attach the binding at all. (My fabric and backing are
already prewashed, but not the batting.)

I am curious what you all do.

--
Barb Quilts aka Barb C
.
.

Old July 19th 03, 05:09 PM
Dr. Quilter

talking about those crayola markers, I used one the other day, and was a
little scared because the lines were very visible before I washed, but
they came off wonderfully and I gave the quilt away yesterday.. )

Julia in MN wrote:
I prewash all my fabric, but not batting, before I use it. I also wash
all my quilts after binding. I often use Crayola washable markers for
marking, so I need to wash to remove the markings. I also want to wash
out any oil that my hands left on the quilt or other soiling that may
have occurred while I was working on the quilt. I would hesitate to
wash before binding before binding unless the edges are securely
finished with a zigzag or serger. I wash in the machine with regular
detergent and dry in the dryer.

Julia in MN

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Blanket Binding For Sale Sugarcookie Marketplace 0 June 1st 04 05:31 PM
Free US Shipping; New Fabrics; Moda Bias Binding at The Virginia Quilter The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 January 16th 04 07:04 PM
wash or rinse? Tea Chapter Needlework 7 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM
New Way of Binding Kathy Applebaum Quilting 6 July 12th 03 07:20 PM