YOOOOOHOOOOOO

Old May 26th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Summer gift knitting

Well, if you can think about what you remember, I bet you could figure
out how to change the pattern to accomplish exactly that. Me, for a
string bag I would crochet around a hair elastic or something that I
could just roll it up like a a sleeping bag (e.g., fold in half or maybe
thirds lengthwise, then roll up starting from one short end) and then
put the hair elastic around it to hold it together.

Not Likely wrote:

Very pretty, thank you! ) They look very much like the one my Mom used
to have, except the handle wasn't quite so wide (but then, a wider handle
would likely make it stronger) so that it could be tucked inside itself and
buttoned closed to toss in your purse. But I *do* like these and will try
making a couple. I want one for myself, and I know a few other people who
would like them too. Thanks again!

Old May 26th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Would you possibly have a url for one of those patterns of the

Stow-Away
Shopping Bags, please? Preferrably crocheted. I went looking and the
closest thing I could see was something you have to order from Annie's
Attic. I was sure there would be a free pattern for one of theses out
there somewhere... but I may be wrong.

Gem:
Here's a freebee from Lion Brand. I don't know if it will fold up, but it
looks good.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...html?noImages=

and here's the actual PDF pattern for the Bernat string bag.
http://tinyurl.com/2c4yye
You have to be a member to d/l the pattern. Let me know if you have trouble
accessing it.

Shelagh

Old May 26th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Vintage Purls spun a FINE 'yarn':

On May 26, 1:41 pm, "YarnWright" wrote:
AND, what's wrong with knitted OR crocheted bikinis, if I may ask?
::SNORT::

Well apart from all the usual reasons why a bikini on ME is not a
pretty site. Knitted items stretch when wet (ask anyone who had to
wear a knitted swinsuit as a child), this is bad enough with a item
that has reasonable coverage but a teeny, weeny (sing it with me:
yellow, polka dot) bikini doesn't leave you much "insurance".

So make it out of wool so it won't stretch when it gets wet? (GD&RFC)

*best innocent look*
Old May 26th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 27, 4:17 am, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
Would you possibly have a url for one of those patterns of the Stow-Away
Shopping Bags, please? Preferrably crocheted.

I posted one here a wee while ago, here is the URL again:
http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/simonma...bagpattern.jpg

It's the kind that folds up on itself.

VP

Old May 26th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default YOOOOOHOOOOOO

On May 26, 8:38 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
Hallo Vintage Purls
In my corner of the word 2 brother factions of a nation kill each
other and in order to moove the blame they Shoot daily missiles on a
quiet civilian town over the international border.

Hi Mirjam,
Yes, I am aware of the very sad situation in your area of the world. I
see Alan Johnston has been missing for 75 days now. Gilad Shalit has
been held for much, much longer hasn't he? Must be just awful for the
families, I can't begin to imagine.

I really meant *your* bit of the world, as in specifically how are
things for you at the moment. You answered my question in your reply
to Dennis though - you sound awfully busy and productive!

VP

Old May 27th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 26, 8:19 am, joan8904 wrote:
On May 24, 2:46?pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

anybody there ?
mirjam

I've been lurking, so I should introduce myself.

I'm Joan, from Bellevue Nebraska, just outside of Omaha. 60 (!) years
old, mother of two wonderful boys and grandmother of a 5 year old boy
and 2 year old girl. Married for 28 (!) years to the same great guy.

Been knitting since I was 7, though most of my adult life I've been a
dedicated quilter. With the grandchildren's arrival, I've taken up
knitting again and am THRILLED with the new technics and wonderful
yarns.

Currently working on a felted bag (Noni Adventure pattern), EZ
surprise sweater in a cotton yarn for the 2 year old, a sweater coat
for me and a lace scarf for a daughter-in-law. Felting and lace are
my current passions. Why didn't someone tell me this was so much fun?

I've enjoyed reading the posts in this group and look forward to
learning a great deal.

Welcome, Joan! Knitting is terrific, and so much more portable
than quilting, isn't it?

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 27th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in
:

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com..
.
On May 26, 1:56 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:
Well, a knitted "string bag" (there are a few free
patterns online) might be a welcome gift year-round

Yes those handy little string shoping bags that tuck
inside themselves when not in use so they can be
conveniently thrown in a bag or car is a good idea. I
think most of my patterns for such things are crochet,
but that's no matter to me. I could random dye some cottom
string to make them more interesting.

VP

Would you possibly have a url for one of those patterns of
the Stow-Away Shopping Bags, please? Preferrably
crocheted. I went looking and the closest thing I could
see was something you have to order from Annie's Attic. I
was sure there would be a free pattern for one of theses
out there somewhere... but I may be wrong.

I used to have one of those bags that an Aunt had made and
given to my Mom years ago, but it's been many years since I
have seen it. I always thought it was a neat idea. The
one my Mom had was done in (I'm sure) cotton, and when you
tucked it inside itself there was a button on the bottom to
close it into a small ball to toss into your purse.

Gem, i found this a while ago & there's no picture, but it
does button into it's bottom, so maybe it's like your mom's
bag.

String bag pattern by Olive Bell
MATERIALS:
Can be made in either 5 ply wool or 4 ply crochet cotton –
cotton is stronger and more serviceable. A Number 3 crochet
hook was used to produce the enclosed samples.
A suitable button is required for the base pocket.

bagBAG BASE:
First Piece.
Make 6 ch, join with a sl-st to form a ring.
1st round. 3ch, 1 tr in ring, (1ch,2 tr) 5 times in ring, 1
ch, sl-st in 3rd ch at beg.
2nd round. 3ch, 1 tr in same place as sl-st, 2 tr in next tr,
* 1 ch, 2 tr in each of next 2 tr, rep from * to end, 1 ch,
sl-st in 3rd ch at beg.
3nd round. 3 ch, 1 tr in same place as sl-st, 1tr in each of
next 2 tr, 2 tr in next tr * 1 ch, 2 tr in next tr, 1 tr in
each of next 2 tr, 2 tr in next tr, rep from * to end, 1ch,
sl-st in 3rd ch at beg.
4th round. 3 ch, 1 tr same place as sl-st, 1 tr in each of
next 4 tr, 2 tr in next tr, * 1 ch, 2 tr in next tr, 1 tr in
each of next 4 tr, 2 tr in next tr, rep from * to end, 1 ch,
sl-st in 3rd ch at beg.
Continue inc. in this manner (working 2 more tr in each
section every time) in every round until there are 90 sts.
Fasten off.
Second Piece.
Work as for first piece. With wrong sides together, hold 1st
piece behind second piece and working through both
thicknesses, join yarn in any 1 ch sp, 1 ch, 1 dc in same sp,
1 dc in each of next 60 sts, working along second piece only,
work 1 dc in each of next 14 tr, 6 ch, miss one st, 1 dc in
each of next 14 tr, 1 dc in 1 ch at beg, working along 1st
piece only, work 1 dc in each of next 29 sts, 1 dc in same
place as next dc... 90 sts.
Beg. Loop Section
1st round. * 1 dc in next dc, 7 ch, miss 1 dc in next dc, 7
ch, miss 2 dc, rep from * to end, sl-st in first dc, sl-st to
centre of first loop... 36 loops.
2nd round.1ch, 1 dc in same loop, * 7 ch, 1 dc in next loop,
rep from * to end, 7 ch, sl-st to centre of first loop. Rep
2nd round 38 times.
Next round. 1 ch, 1 dc in same loop, * 4 ch, 1 dc in next
loop, rep from * to end 4 ch, sl-st in first dc.
Next round. 1 ch, 3 dc in each loop to end, sl-st in first dc.
Fasten off.

HANDLES
Make 2. Make 70 ch loosely.
1st row. Miss 3 ch, 1 tr in ech ch to end. Fasten off.

TO MAKE UP
Do not press. Attach the handles securely to the top of the
loop section. Sew on the button. When not in use, the loop
section may be kept in the base.
lee
Old May 27th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Sounds like a plan! Thank you for the idea!

*hugs*
Gemini

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old May 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Hi Shelagh,

No, no problem with the Bernat pattern... but the Lion Brand one won't open
for me. I have to hunt down my membership info... or rejoin them, I guess.
Thank you! )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old May 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Thank you! That looks almost identical to the one my Mom had, except hers
didn't have a handle to hold when it is rolled up into itself. Saved for
future reference. )

*hugs*
Gemini