VERY OT Cake baking question

Old March 4th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default VERY OT Cake baking question

I just put a lemon sponge cake in the oven. I have never made one
before, nor an angel food cake except from a box mix, but the
directions seem to be quite similar for both cakes. It required almost
20 min. total of beating with an electric mixer and 8 eggs which were
separated and yolks beaten separately from the whites. All over the
very specific mixing directions, it kept harping on do not use a
plastic bowl and be certain there were no grease nor oils on the bowls,
beaters, spoons, etc. I use a dish detergent that says gentle on your
hands.... could this "gentleness" contain some kind of oily substance
to keep your hands soft? Should I be worried about my cake cuz of a
"gentleness" residue on my equipment???

YIKES! Now I have to wait an hour for it to bake- worrying about my
dish detergent!

Leslie & The Cake-Eatin' Furbabies in MO.

Old March 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

don't worry the cake will be ok :-)

I have never yet had a detergent spoil a cake or Pavlova or meringue

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old March 4th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie, there should be no problem, as long as you rinsed well. Nancycog
in MD, who's a cake- baker from waaay back

Old March 4th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Any oil from the soap would have prevented the egg whites from increasing in
volume properly when you were beating them -- you'd already know if you had
a problem. Enjoy that cake!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

oups.com...

Old March 4th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oh oh, one i know bout cooking, amazing as dh does most of it here. tho i do
bake now and again.

the plastic bowls do not ever get rid of the oily residue from whatever
might of been mixed in them previously. doesnt matter how well you wash
those suckers.
theres always just a wee bit that is invisible but it will affect the egg
whites from whipping up properly. hence the use of other non porous
bowls...ceramic or stainless steel.
even those i've seen cooks on tv wipe round the inside with a cut lemon to
remove the oils and then dry them out.
the oil keeps them from getting in all the air that you could for that
lovely 'rise'.
whats the recipe? is it online? might be more helpful if i could read it
thru.
but that is the gist of the reason anyhow.
when do we eat?
i love lemon in baking cuz it contrasts the sweetness so nicely.
wish dh's lime would hurry up grow with more than the one lime on there now.
it is only the first yr we've had it in tho. i'm just impatient to use limes
in whatever....rum and coke anyone, lol.
hth,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

Old March 4th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

damn, silly me.
nope dont worry bout the detergent. its the oil that doesnt wash off plastic
completely that is the problem when beating egg whites. i'm sure your cake
will come out fine.
so when is afternoon tea?
how many of us will it feed?
so we need lashings of whipped cream on it too?
i love sponge cake. its so versatile.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://community.webshots.com/user/VirtualQuilting
"WOK- the ancient art"
http://www.frappr.com/rctq Put yourself on the RCTQ map!!!

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old March 4th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

If your egg whites beat up OK then you have nothing to worry
about.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

oups.com...
:

Old March 4th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It shouldn't be a problem if you rinsed the bowl, beaters, etc. well
after washing them. I think you would have already noticed if there was
going to be a problem, because your whites would not have beaten up
nicely. There is lots of info on beating eggs at
http://www.hormel.com/templates/know...sdisabled=true

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 4th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Put blueberries on mine. Pass on the whipped cream.

Butterfly (LLLLLOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Angel Food cake specially with a
lemon filling between layers)

Old March 4th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

[...]

NOT if you rinse the dishes free of soap after washing. This is
something I always do without even thinking about, if I wash dishes by hand.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!