Easy, fun projects to take to the hospital

Old July 22nd 03, 02:30 PM
The Anti Kathy

Default Easy, fun projects to take to the hospital

Hey, all! I know I lurk way more than I post, but I also know you are the
sweet ladies to help me out. I'm headed off for a surgery in a couple of
weeks, and anticipate a 5 day stay and 4-6 week recovery period. Of course,
one of my major worries is whatever am I gonna DO with my hands? I need a
project or project ideas. So far, I have the easy peasy pocketbook slipper
project - I'm sure to be able to knock off a few pair for Christmas gifts.
I'll be sick of those eventually, though, so need more good ideas.

I've decided that it has to be fairly mindless, at least for a couple of weeks,
since I have no idea how loopy on meds I'll be. At the same time, nothing but
garter or stockinette stitch will make me crazy - just not lace or colorwork, I
think, eh? It needs to be small - I won't want a growing afghan, for instance,
resting on my poor tummy. If it's something that I can remember large chunks
of the pattern without constantly finding my place, that's a plus.

Suggestions, ladies? I know that some of you knit away with various
infirmities and discomforts, so I'm sure you're experts!

TIA,

Anti
Old July 22nd 03, 02:40 PM
Katherine Burgess

Hi, Kathy.
Hope your surgery goes well, and that your recovery is uneventful.
Projects??? Socks, hats, scarves (there are BEAUTIFUL patterns and yarn
available for these!), variations on the basic dishcloth, mittens, gloves,
doilies, doll clothes, baby clothes. There! That should keep you busy for
the duration.
Katherine

Old July 22nd 03, 04:17 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Kathy,

SlinkyToy and Katherine have given you some great ideas. For the afghan squares
do different stitch patterns so you won't get bored.

Will be waiting to hear from you when you get home. Prayers going your way.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 22nd 03, 06:51 PM
Allaya Diep

I just learned the feather and fan stitch yesterday, and that actually seems
pretty mindless...albeit more on the advanced levels of mindlessness.
Maybe you can work on a scarf or a rectangular shawl in that stitch? Looks
complicated, but not much work involved.

I hope you get better soon!

Allaya

Old July 22nd 03, 10:07 PM
Olwynmary

I'm headed off for a surgery in a couple of
weeks, and anticipate a 5 day stay and 4-6 week recovery period.

whatever am I gonna DO with my hands? I need a project or project ideas.

If you really want to prepare in advance, I would suggest something like afghan
squares, but..... you may find that the surgery takes it out of you so much
that you can't be bothered to do anything except lie there, and maybe read some
very light paperback fiction. (ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!!! ). Just make sure
you have supplies in the house in case you feel like doing something, and don't
worry if they sit there untouched until you recover.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 22nd 03, 11:15 PM
Angelicsong

I make these little dolls for charity. They're called 'Little People' and
they are very easy to do. Hope this helps.

Melody (Angelicsong) 0

Little People

Equipment:

Small quantities of Sayelle or similar weight yarn (aprox 4 or 5 different
colours of yarn)
1 pair 2.25 mm needles (small 4 inch toy) or 5 mm (med. 8 inch toy)
Polyester fiberfill, a yarn needle to sew doll together and for embroidering
face.

To Make:

Cast on 32 sts.
Work in *Stocking stitch (*knit 1 row, purl 1 row) throughout
Work 4 rows for feet, change yarn.
Work 14 rows for pants, change yarn.
Work 12 rows for sweater, change yarn.
Work 8 rows for face, change yarn.

Work 11 rows for hat as follows:
Rows 1-4: work evenly in stocking stitch.

Row 5: Decrease 5 sts evenly across row (27 sts)
Row 6: Purl across row.

Row 7: Decrease 5 sts evenly across row (22 sts)
Row 8: Purl across row.

Row 9: Decrease 5 sts evenly across row (17 sts)
Row 10: Purl across row
Row 11: (k1, k2 tog) 9 times.
Draw yarn through remaining sts and pull up.

To Finish

1. Sew sides together to form a center back seam.

2. Stuff head. Weave a single strand of matching yarn across the first face
row. Draw up to form neck and secure ends.

3. Repeat for body, drawing in at ankles.

4. Stuff feet and sew up bottom, pulling in as much as possible.

5. With matching yarn, form arms with tiny back stitches through all layers
from waist to 2 rows beneath the neck. Define legs in the same way, from
bottom to just below waistline.

6. Embroider hair and facial features as desired.

Old July 23rd 03, 12:10 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article ,
says...
[...]

First, wish you a speedy recovery!!!!
Second, slippers and bootsocks are totally mindless projects that come to
mind, as well as: BABY blankets, dishcloths, toppers for dishtowels.
There's lots of good ideas from a bunch of wonderful RCTY-ers.
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447

Old July 23rd 03, 12:11 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article gers.com,
says...
[...]

Melody, I know this was meant for Kathy, but I copied it... thanks for
sharing.
Hope you don't mind!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old July 23rd 03, 12:26 PM
Carol in TN

"Olwynmary" wrote in message
I'm headed off for a surgery in a couple of
weeks, and anticipate a 5 day stay and 4-6 week recovery period.

whatever am I gonna DO with my hands? I need a project or project ideas.

If you really want to prepare in advance, I would suggest something like

afghan
squares, but..... you may find that the surgery takes it out of you so

much
that you can't be bothered to do anything except lie there, and maybe read

some
very light paperback fiction. (ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!!! ). Just make

sure
you have supplies in the house in case you feel like doing something, and

don't
worry if they sit there untouched until you recover.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I would agree with Olwyn Mary on this one. Surgery seems to take it out

of you. Hope yours affects you differently and you finish lots of projects.
Prayers coming your way.
Carol in TN