A Test: Political & Social Compass

Old January 10th 04, 06:43 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you ,, it is wonderfull ,,,, can i share with you the joke about
the sometimes `accuracy of statistics` ,,,, a statistican , checks a
house where there is one 9 months pregnant woman , and 8 babies ,,,,,
girls his report says that stasticly every female in the house is 1
month pregnant .....
mirjam
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:28:38 -0500, Tara D wrote:

Sure thing. It wasn't mine to begin with. :-)

Tara

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:53:52 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Thank you Tara , that was Hilarious , may i quote this ????
mirjam

Old January 10th 04, 06:54 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dianne , i hope that i haven`t offended you by my questtions re the
political questionaire,,, but it amazed me that , you thought a
questionaire of any kind , will TELL YOU which side you are .
You have written many a times, many of your political , points of view
regarding many subjects. Which should indicate that you know , where
you stand ...And anyway , it is not so important , if you are called
left or right. It is important that you clarify , your own ideas to
yourself , and if you want your ideas [ or at least most of them] to
be reprewsented in the ruling party , to vote for that party which is
closeset to your ideas. Nothing else.
Left and right are there for general speaking , for Newspapers , so
that they can Write and explain trends.
if you really look into it , you might be surprised about the cahnges
that have been happening to Left or right opinions , during the last
decade , the last years etc...
Butto trust a questionaire to tell you who you are ????
Never
mirjam

Old January 10th 04, 12:51 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Actually Gillian, I suspect I am closer in age to you than you are to my
Mom!
Cheryl

On 1/9/04 9:53 PM, in article
, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

Cheryl, I must see you next time in NH. You sound very much like the woman I
am!!

I still believe common sense, kindness and courtesy makes the world a
better place!! Of course I am your mother's generation, but the basic tenets
hold true. An organisation isn't needed for that!!

We each earn our place in "society", and we have the option to climb above
it or sink below it.. Not sure if I am making sense, but it is to me. I
guess I am sayong that it is up to each individual to make the best of their
lives.

Gillian

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

American Civil Liberties Union - an interest mix of common sense and
complete lack of sense. Very active in the civil rights movements and in
prisoners rights. I like some of their work and hate other bits.
Cheryl

On 1/9/04 11:22 AM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

Excuse me waht is
ACLU ? mirjam
never heard this , nore read this ,.
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:49:01 GMT, animaux wrote:

Okay, before I take the test I will say openly and with pride that, I

am a
full
fledged, card carrying member of the ACLU and firmly on the left side

of the
aisle, as well as being liberal.

Let's see where the test puts me.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:06:41 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

A few months back, someone posted a site with a test to see where you
were at on the political scale: right or left.

The following site does this a little better, has some interesting
statements to make about social and economic "visions", past and

current
global leaders and where they are in the spector.

For those interested in this issue, take the test and read the
documentation. I found it fascinating. The questions intriguing, and
often times difficult to answer.

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...ass/index.html

Old January 12th 04, 06:49 AM
Fred

Looks like Popeye was my mentor because, "I yam what I yam" and what ya see
is what ya get. Labels are for "things" not people although my DW claims my
red neck doesn't come from blushing.G.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

"Meredith" wrote in message
Concerns? I didn't post because of that. Several people had remarked
about possible bias, and since I have studied this somewhat, I figured
I'd respond. I don't care about the content - my point is that every
type of test/questionnaire is biased in some form or another.

Meredith

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Did you read the FAQ's page, Meredith? Did that answer any of your
concerns?

I think that, on a personal level, if you are doing your level best to
answer ALL questions as truthfully as possible, it could enlighten you
on your belief system. No matter where the questions or answers are
placed. I went into this in this manner.

Do I think it's probably perfect? Nah. But it does give you reason to
think hard. That's always a positive result. I came out left of Ghandi
and Mandela. I was pleased to see that, of course, but I didn't realize
I was THAT left! g And I had personally hoped I'd be more centered in
the libertarian area. huge grin
Dianne

Meredith wrote:

The structure of a questionnaire/test definitely has an effect upon
the results. I'm in grad school right now and have studied this in at
least two classes. If you want to see more divided results, you don't
give a neutral answer choice. Having the positive or negative choice
first in the list also makes a difference, as does the order of
questions. A general rule of thumb is to put the questions that
people are least likely to answer at the end of the questionnaire
because they tend to stop upon encountering such a question, and so on.

As Mirjam said, "Do you really believe that any test , on political
isues , or even political placing , can be tottaly Objective???"
It's impossible to write one that's completely unbiased.

Meredith

mondaymorning wrote:

I went to the site and took the test. I felt that the some of the
questions
were not worded in a way that answers could be given correctly. One
example
was: Mothers may have careers but their first duty is to be
homemakers. One
was to answer agree or disagree. I don't think anyone's first duty
is to be
a homemaker but I sure do think anyone who is a Mother has a duty to

put
that job first. Being a homemaker and a Mother are not the same thing.

There were many other questions which presented the same dilemma.
So I got fixed in a position....but was it accurate? I don't think

so.

Old January 13th 04, 10:45 PM
Marjorie Holme

I enjoyed the test and the questions made me think--always a good thing.
I also thought it was a little biased---not so much by the types of
questions or answer choices, but by the choices of some of the words.
Some of the words have connotations and perhaps more neutral choices
could have been selected. Such as Mothers may have careers but their
first duty should child care (rather than the implied home care).
Marjorie

Nancy Scott wrote:

"mondaymorning" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It seemed to have a lot of questions that were stated in such a way to
"push" the answerer left/anti-authoritarian. I would love to have my old
poli-sci statistics professor go through the questions and do a bias
analysis. It would be very interesting. Given th politician that it placed
my answers closest to (Gerhart Schroeder), I hope it wasn't accurate.

Old January 13th 04, 11:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Good point. However . . . grin . . . that's such a loaded question
which really shows us our "divide". There is no such thing as neutral.
There were a couple question that stopped me cold. I didn't want to
go either way. g But, I ended up taking the "lesser of two evils"
approach. Spanking was one. I don't like it, but I've used it on
occasion to good outcome for child and me. I was torn on that question
because I know the ramifications if misused. On the other hand, I don't
want to "outlaw" it.

Yes, this little "test" really got my husband and I talking about any
number of issues. Which was the point of it.
Dianne

Nancy Scott wrote:

.com...

Old January 14th 04, 01:22 AM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but either you think children come first
above all else and you stay with them (homemaker) or you slightly agree,
or slightly disagree or strongly favor one side or the other.

My father thought that children come first above all else and proved it
by going out and making enough money to put all of his children through
college.

If you
are being forced to work because of economic times, that won't change
your opinion on how you feel it SHOULD be done.

Not true. You are assuming that only one parent can feel that children
are important and that that parent should stay home. I can work and let
my husband make the home and still be a very good mother, thank you very
much.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old January 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side or
the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-) When I
lived in Illinois, a neighbor did just that: Dad stayed home, PhD mom
brought home the bacon. Somebody has to raise the children. Day Care, in
the main, isn't teaching child basic manners and civil behaviors.
Unless, of course, you make a zillion dollars and can afford the type of
Day Care that does this responsibly and has sufficient staff to do it
responsibly.

I listened to a "manners guru" who goes around the country to high
schools. Our eating habits are so bad that many kids aren't going to
semi-formal and formal events because they don't know how to act, what
utinsels to use, how to use them. His blanket statement was: parents
have absconded from their responsibilities. Remember, I didn't say that.
I sense it by what I see far too often, but I don't think that's
"always" the case.

Now, you can agree or disagree with that statement, or partially agree.
But statistics are telling us that parents don't eat with families,
anymore. I occasionally watch television series, such as "Judging Amy"
which is basically a reflection of our times. As are commercials.
Families are running around like chickens with their heads cut off,
grabbing breakfast bars, drinking out of milk cartons, and whole scenes
are like zoos. Does anybody think about getting up a half hour earlier
and eating together at the table?
Dianne

Old January 14th 04, 02:52 PM
Ellice

On 1/14/04 8:53 AM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

The question was gender neutral. I'm not making a case for one side or
the other. A male can be a homemaker just as can a female. :-) When I

True, but you miss the point that a person, parent can work, and still feel
their children/family is the top priority. Work to live, not live to work.
What is common perception here, is that all working parents have the same
attitude, unless they're "poor & have to" - that work/career is what their
life is about, and family obligations come second. I will say that I've
worked with many colleagues who do feel that way - but let's not paint the
entire world of working parents that way. Heck, even DH & I - who are
childless - don't put our careers ahead of everything.

I listened to a "manners guru" who goes around the country to high
schools. Our eating habits are so bad that many kids aren't going to
semi-formal and formal events because they don't know how to act, what
utinsels to use, how to use them. His blanket statement was: parents
have absconded from their responsibilities. Remember, I didn't say that.
I sense it by what I see far too often, but I don't think that's
"always" the case.

While in general I agree with the point that many kids have terrible table
manners - I don't think this is why they don't go to formal events. That may
be a regional or local thing. The teens I know around here go - even some of
the girls going as a group when they didn't have dates - for some Fall Dance
thing. Have you considered that many teens don't want to spend the money on
a Formal event, as opposed to being worried about which fork to use when?
Maybe the "manners guru" would like to boost his own business, consequently
making his area of expertise the reason, as opposed to attributing it to a
combination of factors. We don't see a lot of sock hops either, does that
mean kids don't wear socks?

However, DH & I have actually talked about this recently, with some other
friends. Charming, nice kids - who for the most part have less than refined
table manners - compared to standards of the times gone by. My friends used
to joke that it was my job to teach them, or remind them - the parents just
had a different life experience and hadn't in their youth gone out a lot, or
to "fancy" dinners, etc. The kids say please, and thank you - but the loud
voices, what people think is appropriate to wear at the table (as in no
shirt on the boys), etc - would drive me nuts. I insisted the first couple
of times that Dad go get a shirt - he wouldn't listen to his wife -and the
kids applauded. When I was in Junior high - in home economics in 8th grade,
there was a section on manners, table setting, etc - the teacher was the one
responsible for having us learn about formal manners, and down to setting
the basic, everyday table.

But the manners of the day shift, as they reflect our life style. Most
people don't have servants to wait on the table, nor do they change clothes
for dinner to be more formal. Amongst our friends, the kids do set the
table, and sit down as a family for dinner. At least they wash their hands,
say a blessing, and eat together. They may be jumping up to leave at
different times for different commitments. And the older teen may not be
there - at girlfriend's house, etc. Often there is an extra teen at the
table. It's an adjustment. I've noticed that as the kids get older -
somehow on their own they also pick up some more manners, or realization and
are a bit quieter, calmer at the table (aside from me reminding them).

Now, you can agree or disagree with that statement, or partially agree.
But statistics are telling us that parents don't eat with families,
anymore. I occasionally watch television series, such as "Judging Amy"
which is basically a reflection of our times. As are commercials.
Families are running around like chickens with their heads cut off,
grabbing breakfast bars, drinking out of milk cartons, and whole scenes
are like zoos. Does anybody think about getting up a half hour earlier
and eating together at the table?

I don't remember sitting and eating breakfast with my family when I was a
kid! Except on a weekend. And to be fair, do you also notice that dinner on
"Judging Amy" is generally a family sit-down affair. In fact, much of the
time that the family members, etc are interacting is in the kitchen as
they're preparing dinner. And the sit-down at the table for dinner isn't
just the big weekly thing, but appears to be the regular way of it. IME,
with our friends, all having kids - that is the way of it. The exception is
the fancy get the good china dinner. The regular is someone's cooking, and
dinner is at 7, and then you can go about your business. That said, there
indeed are families where the parents aren't interested and the kids do
indeed eat dinner catch as catch can in separate sittings, or with the TV.
We've heard the teen friends of our friends' kids saying how much they like
coming to the house because it's warm, lived in (the living room is just
another very informal no TV family room - adjacent to the multi-computer
area), and they're always welcome to eat dinner over.

WRT getting up earlier - there is some interesting research about that.
Essentially the teenager of the 90s and now on average doesn't get enough
sleep. That is one of the issues that schools face in trying to extend the
time of a class period. So, in a nutshell - the answer is NO. These kids are
barely able to have the rest to go thru their days - the ones that go to
school, and do activities. Many who do only 1 after school activity - sport,
music, club, or add on a 2nd, plus a full day of classes, when you add in
their homework - are getting to sleep at midnight - and then have to be
en-route to school at 7 AM. So, NO - it's not worth it to get up a half hour
earlier - let them have their juice, and eat quickly, and take a granola bar
with them. Obviously I believe that morning nutrition is the most important
- but in the current hectic lifestyle - 10 min of sit down, cereal, grab
fruit, granola bar, go is better than taking more time, and less sleep.

So, dinner - in Judging Amy, or amongst our friends, and indeed for me my
entire life - is the time when we sit down together and breath a bit. And to
be honest, we personally don't always do that - because we're doing stuff in
the evenings, not just going home and hanging out. One of my friends and I
were constantly questioned by our male colleagues - because after work we
had sports to go play - soccer early (say 4:30 or 5 PM) during outdoor
season, later indoor. And hockey - heck, practice is at 8:30 or 9:30 PM for
90 min, games could start up til 11 pm. They'd be giving us grief when they
wanted to come watch a game "what - 10 o'clock on a Tuesday?" and we'd
answer - we'd rather be busy and out doing something than home just
vegetating. Even now - some nights we are only going to have a light snack,
then go skate and not be home til midnight, 1 am - that's adults. Kids, the
oldest teens that play - may have practice til 10, 10:30 pm - so they're not
getting home til late, and so on. It's tough the balance between
well-rounded, getting rest, getting your schoolwork done, etc.

Just some other thoughts to add into your judgement process.
Ellice

Old January 14th 04, 07:34 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Sorry to follow up, but later yesterday, I sat down for tea and suddenly
said, "Duh!" I Think Elizabeth was getting at the word "homemaker"
which is generally considered "female". That just didn't dawn on me.

So, I now understand what Elizabeth was trying to get at, and agree.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Dianne

compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 03:06 PM
Test post Paulette I. Beads 2 August 14th 04 08:05 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM