glue to repair clay wine cooler (wine brique)

Old July 5th 03, 04:08 AM
Pat Kight

Default glue to repair clay wine cooler (wine brique)

L Mehl wrote:
Hello --

I have a porous clay pot which is used to keep a bottle of wine cool, once
the pot is soaked in water for a while. It looks like the same material as
the Romertopf clay pot cooker.

Sounds like terra cotta.

It needs gluing back together.

Can readers recommend the correct glue for this purpose?

That's a tough one. I've seen Liquid Nails recommended for gluing terra
cotta pots to each other for craft projects; I don't know how well it
would stand up to the water, though.

I just did a quick google for "glue terra cotta" and came up with
several possibilities, including this discussion:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...521926946.html

Good luck! If you find something that works, report back to us, OK?

--
Pat Kight

Old July 5th 03, 06:28 AM
Liz

On 07/04/2003 09:02 PM, L Mehl wrote:
Hello --

I have a porous clay pot which is used to keep a bottle of wine cool,
once the pot is soaked in water for a while. It looks like the same
material as the Romertopf clay pot cooker.

It needs gluing back together.

Can readers recommend the correct glue for this purpose?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Look for "Gorilla Glue." I think it would probably work. A testimonial
on their site claims to have had success repairing clay pots:
http://www.gorillaglue.com/testimonials/
My mother's house was held together with Gorilla Glue. :-)

Liz

Old July 5th 03, 05:01 PM
L Mehl

Thanks to all.

I will look into epoxy and gorilla glue.

Color matching is not too important.

Larry

"L Mehl" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hello --

I have a porous clay pot which is used to keep a bottle of wine cool, once
the pot is soaked in water for a while. It looks like the same material

as
the Romertopf clay pot cooker.

It needs gluing back together.

Can readers recommend the correct glue for this purpose?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

---

Old July 5th 03, 06:21 PM
Pat Kight

Bonjour Voisins wrote:
In article , says...

My first thought is epoxy glue.

Here is a web site with more than you could
possibly want to know about restoration and
conservation of "ceramic" objects:

http://www.antiqueresources.com/arti...icrestore.html

The information pertinent to the current
thread is excerpted he

Adhesives, particularly for use on porcelain,
have always been a problem due to their yellowing
and viscosity. There have been considerable advances
in the use of EPOXY RESINS for BONDING and more
importantly for matching "color fills". When properly
manipulated and applied these materials give the
restorer the ability to mimic depth, translucence
and color when filling voids, glaze loss, rivet holes
and chips specific to the areas of damage without
obscuring original surfaces. It can also be used to
imitate parian, jade and cloisonné. We are hopeful
that under the right conditions of after care we will
see these applications lasting decades rather than years.

However, this and all the other references I've found to gluing ceramics
with epoxy (or cyanoacrylate "super" glues, also often recommended)
refer to glazed ceramics; porcelain and other highly-fired ceramics have
more in common with glass than with terra cotta, which is highly porous
.. The fact that the item in question is intended to be soaked repeatedly
in water to cool down the wine bottle would, I think, have some bearing
on the adhesion.

It might be interesting to get an old terra cotta flower pot, break it
into several pieces and see which adhesive works best ...

--
Pat Kight

Old July 13th 04, 05:40 PM
tom hooper

I glued a large italian terra cotta flower planter together with clear
silicone bathroom sealer about two years ago. Still working. Wipe very
carefully with recommended solvent, apply silicone, tie together with
stretchable string or old pieces of inner tube and let set, then
carefully shave off any hardened sealer that squeezed out of the crack.
If you try and wipe it will discolor the clay. There might be some
colored sealer available to match your clay color.
Tom