Sweater front placket-help please!

Old August 5th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default Sweater front placket-help please!

Hi guys!
I'm still working through my fair isle doll sweater. The pattern is
gorgeous but unfortunately, the directions leave EVERYTHING to be
desired. It calls for a placket in the front center of the sweater at
the neckline. I guess oftentimes there are buttons there on real
"people sweaters".

I can't tell from the directions how this is supposed to be. The top
of the front is split into two pieces that work separately up to the
shoulder. It just says pick up stitches with a crochet hook 2-3
stitches from the edge and knit in the pattern as pictured. I will put
a link here for how the sweater will look when it's done, because it's
hard to explain. I can't tell if the placket is supposed to be knitted
so it can be folded over to the right side and tacked down, or if it
is to be knitted right-side out, starting from the edge and thereby
overlapping the two placket sides in the front, or what. I am SO
confused! Can anyone help me here, please? I have frogged this thing a
million times, but I must say, it finally is looking pretty good. I am
pleased with the Kitchener stitching I put in to connect the front and
back shoulders.

http://tinyurl.com/37rbsq

Thank you all!

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in Connecticut

Old August 6th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cliff & Sue Drake

Hmmmmm..... Is it possible to just make the two sides of the placket meet
in the middle? That's what it looks like to me in the photo -- and if I
recall correctly, that's how this type of sweater placket is made when it's
full-sized. I'd think trying to make the edges overlap would be awfully
bulky. HTH!

Happy trails....

Sue
============

Old August 6th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

It looks to me like you should pick up the row of stitches either to the
left or right of the front opening and knit it wide enough to be centered
over the opening. I think you'd want to tack it down at the lower edge and
then use a pin as shown to keep it closed. I hope this is clear.

--
Jan in MN

"myswendy" wrote...

Old August 6th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

The gap was made by binding off just one stitch between the left and
right sides, so it's not like it's very wide. I guess they want the
two sides to overlap?

Old August 6th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

"myswendy" wrote:
I can't tell from the directions how this is supposed to be. The top
of the front is split into two pieces that work separately up to the
shoulder. It just says pick up stitches with a crochet hook 2-3
stitches from the edge and knit in the pattern as pictured. I will put
a link here for how the sweater will look when it's done, because it's
hard to explain. I can't tell if the placket is supposed to be knitted
so it can be folded over to the right side and tacked down, or if it
is to be knitted right-side out, starting from the edge and thereby
overlapping the two placket sides in the front, or what. I am SO
confused!- Hide quoted text -

Yah, it would be bulky...sheesh.........

Old August 6th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Actually, the pattern has you picking up stitches on BOTH sides and
making 2 plackets....

Old August 6th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Here's a quote from the directions, if that helps. I found it
confusing:

Mock Placket
With crochet hook & black yarn, evenly pick up 13 stitches for first
side of mock placket (2-3
stitches away from the center line) and put on size 000 needles. Work
two rows in black, one
blue/white, and bind off with one black row. On the opposite side,
pick up 13 stitches again,
matching the first side. Again, work 2 rows in black, one blue/white,
and bind off with a black row.
Work in ends-sew the two edges together if you wish.

Old August 6th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Could it be that you are knitting 2 sides as mirror images and no
overlapping is indicated? Maybe the pin is used to close the gap? I
think you are to knit within 2 or 3 stitches from the bottom, creating
a gap that is filled in by the 3 rows you knit on either side. The
picture seems pretty symmetrical.

Hesira

Old August 6th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 5, 9:13 pm, hesira wrote:
[...]

Work in ends-sew the two edges together if you wish.- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm...Each placket is about 6 rows wide.

Old August 6th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 5, 9:13 pm, hesira wrote:
[...]

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just realized that I was
knitting the COLLAR as the placket@! SHEESH!!!!!!!! Duh. Duh. Duh. The
placket is only 4 rows wide and much shorter. On the graph, it is only
8 stitches long. So why do they want me to pick up 13 stitches?

I'm sorry for so many questions. I really look like a dope. This crazy
pattern has me nuts. It's beautiful but badly written.

PP from the front nzlstar* Quilting 9 June 20th 07 11:31 AM
front fly zipper hemant Sewing 1 May 20th 06 11:00 AM
quiet on the HUG front? Morag in Oxford Quilting 15 February 16th 06 12:19 AM
AD: If you are looking for front clasps Shirley Shone Beads 1 May 2nd 05 12:17 AM