problem with charts in "A Gathering of Lace"

Old December 4th 05, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default problem with charts in "A Gathering of Lace"

Anyone able to chime in and tell me the answer to a rather simple question?
I think I've got a handle on the difficult part of this project (grafting
the edging to the shawl as it's worked), but here's the kicker: I can't
figure out if I need to reverse the symbols on the edging's wrong side rows
or not. Nothing in the book says whether I should or not. I'm ready to
knit away on the edging, and would prefer one of the more complex patterns,
but I can't figure this silly little thing out!
Maybe I should explain a bit better: I've finished the body of the Spanish
Peacock Shawl pictured on page 158. While the instructions say to use the
Pointed Scallop edging from Barbara Abbey's Knitting Lace, I don't have
access to the book and am not all that keen on ordering a book just for one
edging pattern. So I decided to use a different edging. I liked the "Teal
Edging" from page 80, but got frustrated with the above problem. I then
tried the Beechleaf Edging on page 40, but guess what? SAME problem.

Basically, I'm asking what's probably a newbie question: When working lace
patterns on two needles, does one reverse the symbols for the wrong side of
the work?

Anastasia

Who would actually really like a copy of the original Pointed Scallop
edging, but can't find it! *sigh*

Old December 4th 05, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for... or close... but it's
all I could come up with. I hope it helps.

Gemini

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa021200.htm

Old December 4th 05, 07:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for... or close... but
it's all I could come up with. I hope it helps.

Gemini

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa021200.htm

I appreciate the trouble, but it's not a crochet piece. I think this is
something I'll just have to swatch up a few times to see how it goes before
actually working it onto the shawl.

Thanks, though!

Anastasia

Old December 4th 05, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh duh... you know while I was looking around I was thinking "It's knit" and
if I'm not mistaken I even put that in the search engine. For some reason
that doesn't always work though... as I found out a few times while
searching for "two needle knit hats" and have gotten crocheted hats, in the
round hats on circulars, and hats made on double pointed needles too. The
search engines just generates what it wants to most times. /

Sorry that I couldn't help you!

Gemini

.. .

Old December 4th 05, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Teacher Gal wrote:
[...]

I would think that when they mention "wrong-side" rows, the instructions for
those rows would be written in the correct order for working them from the
wrong side. However, if it's a chart, I think the standard system is to
write the stitches as if they were being looked at from the right side, in
case the knitter wants to knit the pattern in the round. (I hate charts
and don't use them.)

Barbara Abbey's _Knitting Lace_ uses symbols but the instructions are
written in rows and she refers to "wrong side" rows, so I think her
instructions are already written to be worked that way.

=Tamar

Old December 4th 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I made a shawl from this book and I'm thinking that the wrong side
rows seemed to be worked "purl across" and the right side rows
followed the charts. I could be mistaken. I borrowed the book from
the library so I don't have it in front of me. Does it say anything
at all in the written instructions about how to handle the wrong side
rows?

Jenn

Old December 4th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:29:59 -0600, "Teacher Gal"
spewed forth :
edging pattern. So I decided to use a different edging. I liked the "Teal
Edging" from page 80, but got frustrated with the above problem.

There is no problem. The Teal Edging is knitted flat, with all rows
charted. This is applied edging, in that one finishes the main body,
casts on a few stitches and works flat on those, doing a "2tog" with a
live body stitch on the appropriate rows.

I then
tried the Beechleaf Edging on page 40, but guess what? SAME problem.

Again, there is no problem. All rows are charted, you're making
applied edging worked flat and with "2tog" to join it to the live
shawl stitches.

Read the even-numbered rows from R-L, read the odd-numbered rows from
L-R.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old December 4th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" wrote in message
[...]

Once again, Wooly has NAILED it!
Eggsacterly what I was 'thinking' but couldn't get into 'words'

Noreen
back into her hole.

Old December 5th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Again, there is no problem. All rows are charted, you're making
applied edging worked flat and with "2tog" to join it to the live
shawl stitches.

Read the even-numbered rows from R-L, read the odd-numbered rows from
L-R.

I usually have no trouble reading charts; I prefer them when working lace.
However, after swatching multiple repeats of the edgings in question, I
think I've figured it out. When working left to right on wrong side rows,
the symbols are NOT to be interpreted as "the opposite of the marked
symbol." The Beech Leaf edging in particular is worked in such a way that
every symbol should be interpreted as it is written. That was the problem I
was having; I'm used to "reversing the symbol" on the wrong side rows.

Figured it out, though. Thanks for all the help!

Anastasia