Microwave Kilns

Old November 3rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb[_2_]

Default Microwave Kilns

Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about them?

Jack

http://www.glasterpiece.com
Old November 3rd 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Coggins[_2_]

"nJb" wrote in message
Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about them?

Jack

I seem to remember some years back - maybe 10 or more - that I saw a
promotion at a conference for a method to fire pottery in a microwave oven.
It turned out to be a refractory container coated inside with some metallic
substance which could attain a chamber temperature of 1000 + degrees C when
placed in a microwave oven on high. Only trouble was that the container for
a domestic microwave was tiny and almost useless - you would need an
industrial strength and sized microwave to provide enough power to heat a
decent sized chamber, which would probably cost more than a kiln anyway.

I suspect the idea died a deserving death.

Dave

Old November 3rd 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

David Coggins wrote:
"nJb" wrote in message
Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about them?

Jack

I seem to remember some years back - maybe 10 or more - that I saw a
promotion at a conference for a method to fire pottery in a microwave oven.
It turned out to be a refractory container coated inside with some metallic
substance which could attain a chamber temperature of 1000 + degrees C when
placed in a microwave oven on high. Only trouble was that the container for
a domestic microwave was tiny and almost useless - you would need an
industrial strength and sized microwave to provide enough power to heat a
decent sized chamber, which would probably cost more than a kiln anyway.

I suspect the idea died a deserving death.

Dave

In addition to that,
what my friend have experimented
there is very little if any control of the temperature.
She said it had to make a pair of earrings identical.

One possible use might be PMC clay.
With that price for material, miniature size is a blessing.

-lauri
Old November 5th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

I first started fusing with my little microwave kiln, got it maybe 20/25
years ago? (How long have microwaves been around?) any way, it was fun to
play with and i still have one for museum puposes but there was no control
and i do not recomend trying to learn on it. m

Old November 6th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"nJb" wrote in message
Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about them?

Jack

http://www.glasterpiece.com

They really worked great for small stuff. Where can you get to 1200
degrees in a few minutes? The reason they were pulled off the market was
potenial contamination lawsuits from using it in a microwave that was also
used for food.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old November 6th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Icxxi

On Nov 5, 11:09 pm, "glassman" wrote:
"nJb" wrote in message

Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about them?

Jack

http://www.glasterpiece.com

They really worked great for small stuff. Where can you get to 1200
degrees in a few minutes? The reason they were pulled off the market was
potenial contamination lawsuits from using it in a microwave that was also
used for food.

--
JK Sinrodwww.SinrodStudios.comwww.MyConeyIslandMemori es.com

They're selling them here in the UK so I guess we're not so worried
about contamination ;o)

Old November 9th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

ups.com...
"nJb" wrote in message

Seems they were around some years back. Anybody know anything about
them?

Jack

http://www.glasterpiece.com

They really worked great for small stuff. Where can you get to 1200
degrees in a few minutes? The reason they were pulled off the market was
potenial contamination lawsuits from using it in a microwave that was
also
used for food.

--

They're selling them here in the UK so I guess we're not so worried
about contamination ;o)

Sleazier lawyers over here I'm thinking?

Old June 18th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
no where

Sleazier lawyers over here I'm thinking?

Is that some kind of pun ? or oxymoron ??

Ive melted doing a casting in a microwave. The trick is in the
annealling. It does melt a handfull of glass in a brick/frax
mold/enclosure. Used no metal.