Book Reviews: Bead Crochet Books

Old February 24th 04, 01:07 AM
EL

Default Book Reviews: Bead Crochet Books

I've recently gotten into bead crochet in a big way, so of course I've been
acquiring books on the subject.

1. Bead Crochet Ropes by Judith Bertoglio-Giffin. ISBN 0-9722611-0-9.
$22.95. 21 pages. I don't know where you can order it -- I bought mine at
a bead show last June. Some nice patterns, lots of pretty pictures. I was
unable to teach myself from the instructions in the book, and I've decided
she left out a tiny minor step in the first part. Unless you're a book
junkie, or you particularly like one of the patterns in the book, you can
skip this one.

2. Bead Crochet Basics by Mary Libby Neiman. Design Originals #5224,
available on line from http://www.d-originals.com for $12.99. 35 pages. I
bought this at the bead show this past weekend. Again, lots of patterns,
nice instructions which I think are wrong at a critical junction (joining
the initial circle of beads). A better buy than the Bertoglio-Griffin book,
but I still don't think I could have learned from this book alone.

3. Then there's Carol Wilcox Wells, The Art & Elegance of Bead Weaving.
ISBN 1-57990-200-6. Lists for $27.95. In 18 pages (out of 159) she has
good instructions with no mistakes that I've found and some neat patterns.
Not to mention that you get 141 pages of other good stuff as well.

I glanced at one of the Kate Coburn books (Tubes II) this weekend and wasn't
particularly impressed -- does anyone own it? or the first one? What do
you think of it?

Any more bead crochet books out there for me to covet? I know Interweave is
about to publish one ...

Elise

Old February 24th 04, 07:38 PM
Bungadora

The Beading Book by Julia Jones, A&C Black 1993, ISBN 07136-3787-0 has a
section on crochet and knitting with beads but you have to know how to crochet
first. I was just looking at it because I am thinking of doing a beaded swag
(ecru with clear crystals) in filet crochet for over the carpet above my bed.
However, looking at the other sections, I am thinking a beaded net or lace swag
might be less time consuming. I did a curtain in filet crochet once and have
suffered crochet burnout ever since. I like this book because it gives a survey
of techniques, including as well bead embroidery, tambour beading, and quilting
and smocking. This can help in settling on a technique for a particular
application. However, again, you have to know something about the craft in
question before applying beads.
Dora
"EL"