art or craft

Old December 15th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

Default art or craft

How about when your glass art is lumped in with Garden Art!!!! as in
artigras for one, and there's another i can't recall just now! i refuse to
even apply as i feel my work is demeaned! The craft is the technique, as
far as i'm concerned, the art is the design and execution of the work. Any
idiot like brady can craft the piece and/or teach some yahoos to do the work
but designing originals and creating them with flawless workmanship is
harder to stumble upon. That is the art. m

wrote in message

Sounds like you kinda agree with Steve, and I do like your outlook
on it. We learn and practice our craft, so we can produce our art,
so long as we step it up from reproducing pre-drawn patterns.

Kind of a neat and succinct definition.

As far as glass crafts being lumped into the craft tents at art
shows and exhibits, I'd dare say it's more of a practical
organizational decision on behalf of the oranizers. Most of the glass
booths at the exhibit that originally brought this topic up, were
trying to sell suncatchers and trinkets buy the dozens. There wasn't
one booth where I didn't recognize patterns released by Spectrum and
other popular pattern publishers. Of the 6 or so booths, there was
only one, in my opinion, that actually had original art on display,
for display's sake, and at that, she too was peddling the popular
trinkets and such.

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:45:53 +1000, "Elaine Coggins"
wrote:

(Art, Artist ... one who practises fine art, especially painting ; one
who
makes his craft fine art

I call myself an artist / craftperson, I do painting, sculpture, pottery,
and other works of art/craft, but they are one off items
so fine art.
But yes I get very annoyed when my art gets lumbered in just as craft, and
not as art.
You see I believe it is the art of the craftperson, for we all have to
know
our craft.

Elaine.

Old December 16th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Frank in UK

Dunno. I leave that to others to judge. I make kaleidoscopes using
SG as the principal medium. All are original designs, some limited
series, some one-of-a-kind. I refer to myself as a craftsman, many of
my counterparts (mostly in US) call themselves artists. I belong to a
UK Guild of Craftsmen, one of the membership criteria for which is
"originality of design".....
On 15 Dec, 06:02, wrote:
Okay Frank, how does our *use* of the medium determine whether
it's deemed art or craft? Making 5 nearly identical panels for sale
is craft or art?

Dennis Brady, a gentleman who's presence here isn't overly welcomed
by many, produces a varied line of stained glass sailing ships. I can
honestly say I've never seen that done elsewhere. Ergo, to me at
least, it's original. However, he does it with a commercial bias, he's
only in it for the money. Is he an artist or a craftsperson?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:24:34 -0800 (PST), Frank in UK

wrote:
On 14 Dec, 15:00, wrote:
Is what we do an art or a craft?

What we "do" is work in a particular medium. What we use that medium
for determines whether the result is "art" or "craft"- Hide quoted text -

Old December 17th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
JKGlassman

Artists consider their work art. It seems to be important to them. Those
of us that do SG to make a living, for the most part are artisans, doing and
redoing the same stuff by changing the sizes and or colors. Many think what
I do is art, I always thought it was craft. I don't correct them.

--
JK Sinrod
http://www.sinrodstudios.com

Old December 17th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Elaine Coggins[_2_]

Hi JK, it is art.
I have been playing with glass as well, I love the colours and shapes you
can do. But paint & ink are colours too, you make shapes out of that as
well, and paint a picture or print an etched plate all shape & colour,
pottery and glazes are shapes and colour as well.
We can say sculpture is shape and colour too. I just love it, and it is all
ART.

Elaine.