Magazine Review: BeadStyle

Old October 24th 04, 04:39 AM
Jalynne

Default Magazine Review: BeadStyle

I hear you...and totally agree. The ONLY reason I have exactly one copy of it was to
see what it was like. Should have just left it on the shelf.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
Magazine Review: BeadStyle

This one's gonna be quick: Unless you're a total beginner, don't
waste your time or money on this dog. I have little use for a
magazine who allows advertisers to write editorial pieces to promote
their products. (SoftFlex, I'm looking at you)

I have even less respect for anyone who purposefully teaches newbies
incorrect methods the're just going to have to re-learn at some later
date. One glaring example is their ongoing instruction in the proper
use of crimp beads. Hey, why bother with those nasty crimp pliers?
Just use some normal needle nosed pliers and squash the crimps flat.
No discussion about the quality of base metal vs. precious metal
crimps, either, or of matching the right crimp and finding to the
right stringing material.

I've more than gotten used to the easy-peasy projects, but then to
have them shown as a simple accessory to some fashion ideal that the
publisher had in mind that month didn't exactly have me dancing in
the streets. Adding insult to injury was the fact that the materials
listing for the pin listed an online supplier who does not in fact,
supply the items needed for the pin. (oops)

Most magazines need at least a page of advertisting for each page of
editorial content. No problem there. But this thing seems to be
completely driven by the advertisers, and no material is considered
too shoddy for these editors. I know that if I were teaching new
beaders, I'd tell them how to find the best stringing materials, and
the best findings, not simply show a paid for photo of 7 strand
Acculon and base metal clasps.

I get the feeling that this magazine wasn't planned to be around as a
permanent fixture, but was rushed to press to cash in on the current
popularity of making it yourself. I see a real need for a
publication that isn't so high-brow, and doesn't only cater to the
beader who wants to be excellent at her craft, but something for the
casual hobbyist, a person who wants to make pretty things once in a
while. This magazine can't fill that need, either. So many of the
advertisers shown are to the trade only, which makes it really hard
for the person who would be intimidated at a local bead store.

I'd keep getting Beadwork magazine as my favorite, Bead and Button as
a slightly less challenging competitor, an use Belle Armoire and Art
Jewelry as my inspirations. My remaining issues of BeadStyle can go
to the art room at the school, along with the junky clunkies that I
want to leave my home. The kids will enjoy looking through the
strung designs, and can modify them to make the pieces their own.

Your intrepd reporter,

Kathy N-V

Old October 24th 04, 05:12 AM
Janet R

Amen Sistah,
I saw their instruction for crimping and I cringed! I learned to
crimp from written instructions I found online, so why can't they
print similar instructions?

Anyhoo...I find that magazine to be a waste of paper.

Janet R

. giganews.com...

Old October 24th 04, 05:32 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I subscribed to it when it first came out (it's a B&B publication) and let
it lapse. Unless you are rank beginner, or only want projects that go
together in 30 minutes, it's not worth it.

B.

Old October 24th 04, 05:40 PM
susiegibson

I also save these for the kiddos, but do not think much of the projects they
had......but the adverts are abounding......think this is the real purpose
of the mags, to get product awareness out there?????????

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

---

Old October 25th 04, 07:30 PM
Kandice Seeber

Thanks - I am pretty much of the same opinion. I really wish for more
magazines that are not geared towards beginners. I *thought* Step By Step
Beads would be one that was more for intermediates, but after the last two
issues, that turned out to be wrong. There are *so many* beginner mags out
there, and they are all at least 50% advertising anyway. It's sad.
Beadwork is okay. Bead&Button is terrible, IMO since the changeover in
management. **sigh** Someday.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 25th 04, 07:33 PM
Dr. Sooz

Unless you're a total beginner, don't
waste your time or money on this dog.

My feelings exactly.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old October 25th 04, 09:49 PM
starlia

Don't you just wish one of those magazines would consult us to find out what
we want? It wouldn't be so bad if 1/3 was for beginners, 1/3 for
intermediate, and 1/3 for advanced techniques. That way as the beginners
progressed they could still use the older magazines to learn. I wouldn't
mind putting up with beginner stuff just so I could get intermediate and
advanced techniques shown as well.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old October 25th 04, 11:59 PM
Christina Peterson

It wouldn't be reasonable to have only one third of the contents of a
magazine devoted to 90% of customers. Wouldn't you guess that only one in
ten gets past the stage of beginner? And I would guess that most people who
can produce a pretty good product bother to progress to advanced. Again, no
more than one in ten.

Actually, at some sort of intermediate stage, I look for eye candy and
ideas. I almost always adapt what I see and almost never do any project the
recommend. I have also taken beginners things, and added things for a more
advanced project. I seldom get bothered by beginner projects, there is
usually something useful, and like I say, for advanced things, usually what
I want is a combination of simple things that I can adapt to my own designs,
rather than "a template for an advanced project".

Tina

Old October 26th 04, 12:07 AM
Jalynne

I agree with you, Tina. At some point, I hope to not really need those basic
instructions anymore, and am already seeing that happen on occasion. I'll see
something I like, and adapt it to my own needs. Works for me.

Old October 26th 04, 01:49 AM
Kandice Seeber

I think there is a big enough market of intermediate/advanced beaders out
there to warrant *one* magazine devoted to us. The beginners have
what......10 or more magazines that contain projects for them? Plus all the
beginning books out there.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs