rug doilies

Old July 5th 03, 08:13 PM
Anna MCM

Default rug doilies

Sue Carlson Dunn wrote:

Anna Maria, try looking at www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich . The
doilies and other projects there are all for thread, but I've done a
few of them in fine yarn to make throws and cushion covers, so I
should think that if you used thicker yarn and a larger hook you could
make some nice rugs.

Thanks Sue!

I checked and found some interesting ones...
My friend Anna Maria (yes, we have the same name) bought me some nice
big yarn at a sale in Italy (1 kg for 10 euro). Now I have just to go to
Italy and start the project... well, I hope to go there for Christmas,
so the project is a bit delayed for now!

Hugs,

Anna Maria
Old July 11th 03, 12:32 PM
Genevieve Tharp

"Anna MCM" wrote ...
I was wondering about the possibility of making a crocheted rug ...
Which kind of yarn would you suggest? I would like something easy to
wash.

Earlier this yr. I went to a Civil War ladies school where we learned how to
make rag rugs ... you cut/tear long strips of fabric and crochet them up
using single crochet stitch. The fabric strips can be any size you like,
from 1 to 2 1/2 inches, but the smaller is easier to crochet than the
larger. You don't worry about which side of the fabric is out as you are
crocheting.

They even taught us how to attach the strips to each other so that you don't
have knots ... if I remember it right, the strip of fabric was called a
snake and you cut a slit in the head and tail of the snake. You put the
head of the new snake thru the tail slit of the one already attached to the
rug, then brought the tail of the new snake thru it's own head slit, then
pulled tight.

This mades a thick sturdy rug or chair pad that you can just throw in the
washing machine and dryer.

Plus at the class they gave us big wonderful homemade wooden crochet hooks
to take home that we used in class to start making our project.

Genevieve in Mississippi

Beautiful Christmas crochet doilies for sale Elena Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 03:56 PM
Beautiful Christmas crochet doilies Elena Marketplace 0 December 16th 03 03:05 PM
Christmas crochet doilies Elena Needlework 0 December 16th 03 01:33 AM
beaded doilies Manuela Beads 5 December 10th 03 09:48 PM
ot - married life LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 6 October 23rd 03 05:19 PM