Quilting question

Old February 5th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

Default Quilting question

How do you decide how much quilting is enough? It seems as though I
either over quilt or under quilt. I just finished quilting a lone
star and I'm in the process of binding. It seems as though I could
add more quillting
but I don't want to over do it again. The star sections are good,
it's the open areas I'm wondering about. I did
a feather design and I could add some micro quilting but that's when I
tend to over quilt.
Old February 5th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

That's a tough one! There are a lot of opinions about how much is enough
versus how much is too much.

If the unquilted areas look too puffy to you and/or the fabric looks
"puckery," it might be good to add more quilting - a small-ish stipple
or other overall design. That could make the feather look sort of like
trapunto. You have to do what makes you happy, though. If you're going
to look at it the way it is and wish you had done something different -
now's the time to do it. If you like a more casual, puffier look, then
let it go.

Regardless, we do want to see pictures when you're done!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old February 5th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 2/5/2011 11:31 AM, Bonnie NJ wrote:
How do you decide how much quilting is enough? It seems as though I
either over quilt or under quilt. I just finished quilting a lone
star and I'm in the process of binding. It seems as though I could
add more quillting
but I don't want to over do it again. The star sections are good,
it's the open areas I'm wondering about. I did
a feather design and I could add some micro quilting but that's when I
tend to over quilt.

Can you add a row or two (or more) of echo quilting around the feathers?

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old February 5th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It's your quilt. It has enough quilting when you are happy - so - do echo
as Julia suggests. I'm betting that will be "ah, just right". The lone
star is such a beauty; we can't wait to see what you've got going. Polly

Old February 5th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX[_2_]

The "rule of thumb" is to have the same quilting density throughout a
quilt. If you do that, then the whole quilt will generally wear at the
same rate. However, if the quilt will be carefully used and seldom &
gently washed then I think that does not matter so much, and your only
consideration would be whether the quilting looks as you want it.

Do you like the way those open areas look?

Bev in TX

Old February 6th 11, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Maybe a half-inch grid (or 1-inch, depends how big those open spaces
are) would provide enough background to make your stars and feathers
shine. Something controlled like this would prevent too much
micro-stippling. It's also a very traditional background filler.
Roberta in D

Old February 6th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

wrote:
How do you decide how much quilting is enough? *It seems as though I
either over quilt or under quilt. *I just finished quilting a lone
star and I'm in the process of binding. *It seems as though I could
add more quillting
but I don't want to over do it again. *The star sections are good,
it's the open areas I'm wondering about. I did
a feather design and I could add some micro quilting but that's when I
tend to over quilt.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone. This afternoon I'll have a long look at the quilt
and decide how I want to
proceed. My goal is to make it look evenly quilted. Then I'll make a
serious effort to find the
cameras instruction booklet ;-)
Old February 6th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:31:59 -0600, Bonnie NJ wrote
(in article
):

How do you decide how much quilting is enough? It seems as though I
either over quilt or under quilt. I just finished quilting a lone
star and I'm in the process of binding. It seems as though I could
add more quillting
but I don't want to over do it again. The star sections are good,
it's the open areas I'm wondering about. I did
a feather design and I could add some micro quilting but that's when I
tend to over quilt.

I think it's always a tough call. If it looks all right to you it's probably
done. Maybe add a bit at a time if you think it needs more to avoid
overquilting.

Maureen

Quilting question John Quilting 46 January 25th 07 06:59 AM
I have a quilting question GrammyKathy Quilting 5 October 18th 06 05:59 PM
quilting question... Jessamy Quilting 28 October 11th 06 08:25 PM
A Quilting Question Patti Quilting 25 September 24th 04 10:09 PM
quilting question..... Kellie J. Berger Quilting 11 December 14th 03 06:10 PM