focus? Medallion quilts

Old February 5th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default focus? Medallion quilts

Someone used to do a 'focus on' msg. here once in awhile. Go over and
google image 'medallion quilt'.
What a lot of beautiful quilts to behold. Do you guys make many of these?
I think I have made at least a few over the years.
Taria

Old February 5th 11, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

I started one a long time ago, but I never finished it. I do love them,
though, and yes, there are some beautiful ones when you google!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old February 5th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

I started one a long time ago too. I had appliquéd dragonflies in the
center block. Actually, it started as a do-it-yourself round robin from Pat
Sloan's former group. Wonder what I did with that thing....it needs
appliquéd flowers in the last big border.

--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks Nevada USA

Old February 6th 11, 10:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

My first quilt was a medallion. I love them.

I now wholecloth in the Welsh tradition, so I suppose that counts,
too.

I just love that centre with all the stuff going round. It (imo)
looks lovely on a bed, or, indeed on a wall.

The borders can be a B mind, to get just right. But, OH SO satisfying
when they line up.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old February 6th 11, 10:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I like medallions, because it's a good way to use a big square piece
that's too small for very much else, without making a lot more of the
same. My only problem is a slight aversion to square quilts. (Beds are
usually oblong! And I don't have that much wall space left.) So I
experiment a lot with ways to make extra rows of blocks look like they
belong there :-)

Among the most gorgeous medallions IMO are Ricky Tims's rhapsody
quilts. how would one go about making those oblong? Must be a way to
sort of stretch the curves along the sides...
Roberta in D

Old February 6th 11, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 06/02/11 10:43, Roberta wrote:
I like medallions, because it's a good way to use a big square piece
that's too small for very much else, without making a lot more of the
same. My only problem is a slight aversion to square quilts. (Beds are
usually oblong! And I don't have that much wall space left.) So I
experiment a lot with ways to make extra rows of blocks look like they
belong there :-)

Another option is to have two square medallions separated by one or more
of the borders, then surround the pair with the outer borders - if that
makes any sense. I could sketch it easily, but putting it into words is
harder.

Lizzy
Old February 6th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Roberta, try starting with a rectangle instead - my most favourite idea
for the future is an oval mariner's Compass, within a rectangle as the
centrepiece. Then the blocks in rows around. Ginny Beyer's out of
print design book gives a massive amount of design help for medallion
quilts. I have done a miniature medallion - that was fun.
..

In message , Roberta
writes

wrote:

Someone used to do a 'focus on' msg. here once in awhile. Go over and
google image 'medallion quilt'.
What a lot of beautiful quilts to behold. Do you guys make many of these?
I think I have made at least a few over the years.
Taria

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old February 6th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

The first quilts I made were medallions. G I did them on the serger
by using rectangular panels and adding borders around them. Layered
them, used a basting gun to tack them. Then quilted using decorative
machine stitching on the seams. Can't remember how I finished the
edges.
But I did a whole batch of them one year for Christmas. They have been
well used as I recall. G
(The panels I used were either some that were prints of some of the
"Small Quilts" designs. Some I used 2 pillow panels.)

Pati, in Phx.