stash knowledge

Old December 10th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default stash knowledge

says...

I'm very organized and always know exactly where to look for something, she
says with grin. The problem is that there are gremlins living in the
closet and cupboards with the stash (I think they're closely related to the
computer gremlins) and they move stuff when I'm not looking.

I may have mentioned the borrowers (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borrowers)
before. Couple them with frequent black holes that interrupt my time/space
continuum and it's pretty darn amazing I find anything!!!!
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old December 10th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Dec 10, 10:28*am, anne wrote:
says...

Anne that is the Story ,,of many people ,,, somehow the most open
obvious place seems to go by unnoticed ....
Hope you have a joyful time knitting it .

Actually angelina fibers aren't for knitting; when ironed to each other, they
make fabric:

http://www.embellishmentvillage.com/store.php?cat=3

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

How cool is that!
Old December 10th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

anne wrote:
Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

Snicker - not close. I have an idea where most stuff is, but I still
usually have to look through a number of boxes to find what I need.

I have most of my floss on bobbins in labeled floss boxes, unwound floss
in DMC shop cases, fabrics divided between aida/non-aida in separate
boxes, metallics, silks and ribbons in their own containers, and other
fibers in old cookie tins. Beads and embellishments are in other boxes.

My kits and patterns are in a file cabinet, but there are a couple of
kits that I know I have, and have been unable to find since I moved a
year ago.

MargW
Old December 11th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/9/08 9:24 AM, "anne" wrote:

Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

Actually, for about 90% I can find things quickly. Despite the somewhat
incomplete putting away. But, my needlework stash is in relatively good
order - including the large carton of stuff that moved from the old house,
and hasn't been unpacked - I just dig into it at times. For the most part I
remember what projects are where, and my threads, supplies are actually in a
central place. It's when I have to think back - oh, I took that book
upstairs, or something like that - or remembering in which tote something
may have been taken around in which could cause a bit of delay. OTOH, my
knitting stash is a bit less clear to me as I don't quite remember exactly
where everything is- in terms of needles that may be in use, or with a
project tote.

Good question.

Ellice

Old December 13th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Weeelll - it was organized until I was "gifted" last week with the
stashes of various and assorted relatives who've passed on. I did get
the livingroom cleaned up yesterday so that I can now walk through it
w/o tripping over things. Much of that was from one great-aunt who
passed a good ten years ago and consisted mostly of 60's and 70's era
crewelwork projects all in various stages of not complete. I couldn't
even tell if all the needed materials were there! Needless to say,
since these are NOT my style, they are now packaged up for Goodwill.

I don't even want to *think* of the back room. That has not only the
new computer, but also the old one (side-by-side so I can transfer
everything I want to keep to the new one), and it has the pile of
stash I want to keep! Since the back room is my normal stitching
room, you can imagine the mess - the couch area where I normally
stitch has stash and magazines all over it, the center worktable is
covered with computer parts, and the walls have piles of more donated
stash piled up against them ....... I am definately going to clean
this mess up this weekend - I want to stitch, darn it!!!!

Old December 13th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Fave accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers
and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

I now know where almost everything is, due to my moving my stuff from
one room to another. Now, we have a futon in the old room, which is
accessible. The grand daughters slept on it when they were here about
four years ago. Have to find out if DH wants to sleep there rather than
on the couch. I shall be so glad when the sleep test comes back on
Monday! Maybe I will sleep there, and he can have the dogs!

Gill
Old December 13th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Dec 9, 7:24*am, anne wrote:

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Funny you should ask.

I'm good with my threads and basic supplies. I don't pile up a lot of
excess stash, and they don't take up a lot of room, so I can usually
locate things pretty quickly. Box for thread. Box for embroidery
supplies like hoops and needles. Box for knitting needles.

I've sorted most of my yarns into stacking plastic drawer units.
Distinct projects are in zippered bags. Tangled yarns are all in one
big basket. Started projects are piled in a lidded basket. Beads are
in 2 plastic drawer units, sorted by size, and color of course.

Fabrics are a mess. I have them sorted by color in plastic zipped
bags, but I don't have shelf space for them. They sit on top of a
trunk, stuffed to the top with blankets and more fabric. I'm
thinking of buying another cabinet, but I don't have room for another
cabinet and the trunk. Sigh. I need another room.
Dora