sewing machines - viking 750 anyone?

Old October 28th 04, 04:20 PM
DrQuilter

Default sewing machines - viking 750 anyone?

i went to my dealer to play around wih sewing machines. she showed me
the viking designer i and ii, boh for around 2800, since the most
expensive one is a return (ou have to take off that price what i paid
for my brother a year ago, 600). i don't want to put an extra 2k so i
also looked a 'lesser ' machines that don't have everhing i want (the
presser foot going down with a touch of the pedal is nice!). so, anbody
has a pfaff 2046 or a viking 750? anything you don't like about them?
both are comparable in price... i would have to put around 1k...
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old October 28th 04, 06:41 PM
NinaJ

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:20:21 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

i went to my dealer to play around wih sewing machines. she showed me
the viking designer i and ii, boh for around 2800, since the most
expensive one is a return (ou have to take off that price what i paid
for my brother a year ago, 600). i don't want to put an extra 2k so i
also looked a 'lesser ' machines that don't have everhing i want (the
presser foot going down with a touch of the pedal is nice!). so, anbody
has a pfaff 2046 or a viking 750? anything you don't like about them?
both are comparable in price... i would have to put around 1k...

I have a Viking 750 that I bought last winter. The first computerized
machine I've owned. It doesn't have the automatic presser foot lift
but it does have needle up/down which is a nice feature that my 37
y.o. Singer and 15 y.o. White do not have. One of my present projects
is using some of the 750's quilt stitches to do crazy quilt blocks. I
do not do machine embroidery so this machine is great for the sewing I
do.

Nina

Old October 29th 04, 02:39 AM
DrQuilter

thanks for the feedback nina... it is the one i am seriously considering
buying. mabe next year i'll upgrade to the designer....

Old October 29th 04, 02:53 AM
hellofromsmd

I've got the Viking 750 as well and love it. I purchased it last
spring with trade in for a Viking Daisy. I upgraded primarily for the
needle up/down option. I've used it extensively with walking foot,
darning foot, button holes, special stitches, metallic & invisible
threads, different types of fabric (cotton, nylon, fake fur) etc...
Have been very pleased.

The only thing that doesn't work well on it is the needle threader.
It works but not smoothly enough to make it worth the effort.

Viking just came out with a new line (the Scandinavian?). It's a
lower priced line but I wonder with it being new if you couldn't get a
deal on the 750... I paid what you're thinking of paying but that was
a year ago. If you shop around you may be able to do better by a
couple hundred.

Sonya
Old October 29th 04, 03:13 AM
Polly Esther

Can you step up (or over) just a little bit? I carefully surveyed the
Vikings for one that was (1) sturdy and (2) could do some truly magnificent
stitches. The one most used in many years of Creative Needle and Sew
Beautiful magazines time after time was the Viking 990. It doesn't do the
kind of embroidery where you set it and go cook dinner while it sews but it
is a keeper. I am absolutely a Bernina fan - but wouldn't part with the
Viking 990 for nothing. Unless, of course, one of our daughters wants to
carry it away. That's different. Polly

Old October 30th 04, 02:29 AM
DrQuilter

they did not show me that one.... what kind of price range are we
talking about? as usual, it is not that I don't have the money, but when
I make a purchase that is more than a few hundred bucks I get the 'what
if' jitters... shouldn't I be saving for X? where X is house,
retirement, Sofia's future, etc. etc....

PS: if you notice that I am suddenly articulate it is because I attached
an external keyboard to the laptop.. )

Old October 30th 04, 02:57 AM
DrQuilter

I just saw a designer I on ebay for 1100 'buy it now'. sounds fishy to
you? I don't dare...

Old October 30th 04, 03:44 AM
Polly Esther

I wish I could tell you more about Viking prices. I bought the 990 six years
ago for about $1,100. They are like the Bernina 1230 in that they really
don't drop in price. A friend of mine is looking for either one and not
having much luck. And yes, I would be very scared of a Designer I at a cheap
price. You would wonder if she had been used as a boat anchor. Polly PS I
didn't mind your articulation at all. I was quite at home with it.

Old October 30th 04, 04:10 PM
Butterfly

I actually WORE OUT my Viking 9 9 0; to where I had the head replaced and
wore another part out ( where it decided to 'sew backwards' whenever it got
'warm enuf') after 15 or so years of hard work; sewing everything from
drapes to 6 layers of denim to umpteen quilts and clothing. After getting
estimates of replacing those parts, we decided that a new one would be
better in the long run, so I went to the Pfaff Quilt Expression 2046 as it
was the closest I could find to the Viking 990, and had a regular loading
bobbin instead of a drop in that Vikings now have. My hands can't get the
drop-in out even with using tweezers.
I LOVE my Pfaff and I was pretty nervous about going to a different name.
HTH
Butterfly

Old October 30th 04, 04:11 PM
Butterfly

Doesn't Debbi have a Designer.oh Debbi.where are you????????????
Butterlfy
link.net...