TIDBITS 08/24/03

Old August 25th 03, 01:55 AM
Benjamin Mark

Default TIDBITS 08/24/03

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Additionally, if you have friends who you
think would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us...and
help me increase my circulation. URL (http://www.tyler-adam.com)

======================================

Toxicity ... Death ... and Jewelry

Now there's a catch-phrase to titillate the senses ... eh wot
folks?

Late 17th century ... Western Europe. Was man obsessed with his
mortality? Did he need constant reminders that the end was a'comin'
around the next metaphorical corner? And if so ... what reminder
would do the trick? What could he possibly use that would act as a
mnemonic memory device ... never letting his consciousness lapse into
such a state of numbness as to allow him a moment's respite from the
knowledge that any second now the candle would be extinguished ...
never to light again? Enter the jeweler.

Memento Mori jewelry had now long been prevalent among the hoi-polloi
as well as the upper-class. Emblems of death abounded. Skulls and
skeletons and coffins prevailed in order to ensure virtuosity among
the living. And if the jewelry didn't work ... well there was always
castration and the cauldron and other sweet little proddings to ensure
man lived a life according to the rules. Excuse me sir, said the meek
little man who walked into the local jewelry establishment in order to
purchase a wee doodad that would act as a reminder that if he didn't
live the clean life he'd be in deep doo-doo. Do you have any symbols
of death? A pendant a ring a bracelet? Anything. I have these sinful
thoughts, you see ... and I need to have them quelled.

Ahh ... how the jeweler rubbed his palms in anticipation. He had a
live one. A sinner who could not live with his sinful thoughts. Do you
want something mundane, said the jeweler? Or would you prefer
something a bit more ornate which -- due to it's very ornateness and
ornatability -- will ensure absolute chaste thinking? Something with
rubies perhaps ... to remind you of the blood-letting you will have to
endure in the after-life if you do not adhere to the pristine life in
the here and now? And with diamonds too ... to remind you of the
hardness of judgement day should you stray from the noble path?

Do these things truly work, said meek-man? Now now now, said the
friendly jeweler who knew all about human frailty and fear. Hey ...
the guy had to make a living too. He had a wife and kiddies. And then
there was college and graduate school. I have a ring that's
guaranteed. Absolutely guaranteed. Every time you have even the
beginnings of a sinful thought ... the ring will remind you of the
error of your ways and the thoughts will disappear as if by magic.
Magic, said meek-man? Does it truly contain magic? Does a pig have
a pink ass, said the jeweler? And so the deal was done.

Now I ask you dear souls ... what good is all this wondrous
information about death-jewelry if I had nothing to show you? And so
show you I will. A ring ... with rubies and a nice white skull to
ensure chasteness in its wearer.

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits...may I
direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where you will scroll
down the left side menu till you get to the area that says Tidbits
Graphics ... and then click on the link that says: Skull ... where
you'll see an image of a 17th century gold Skull Ring with rubies

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our home
page. All rights reserved.
SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE E-MAIL NEWSLETTER: TIDBITS
Available From Our Home Page At:
http://www.tyler-adam.com
Any Day-Gifts Galore-Visit Tyler-Adam Corp.
--Browse the vast resources of TAC-Bourse--
--Our Diamond Search Engine--
TYLER-ADAM CORP.--Jewelry Manufacturers
Tel: 1-800-20-TYLER
E-Mail to:

TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 October 24th 04 11:59 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 October 24th 04 09:27 PM
TIDBITS 08/24/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 August 25th 03 01:55 AM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 2 July 21st 03 05:22 AM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 July 13th 03 11:00 PM