Want to Learn Pottery

Old November 26th 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Want to Learn Pottery

Hello to all,

In the city where I live, I have been trying to find someone to teach
pottery. However, I have been unsuccessful. The local university
teaches pottery, but requires all sorts of prerequisites to take the
course. And, I don't want to work towards an art degree just to take a
pottery class.

Given the local situation, can anyone recommend a good book that may
provide the basics of pottery and where a good source maybe to find some
used equipment to just get started?

Thanks!!

John

Old November 26th 05, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

If you haven't already, try the local community college and check with
pottery stores in the area to see if they know of some place that has
classes. Sometimes local potters will teach out of their studios.

I just did a quick google search. Try:
http://www.elpasoartmuseum.org/classes.asp
http://www.elpasotexas.gov/parks/memorial.asp (if you're a senior)

deg

Old November 28th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Also, you can do what my wife and I did. Go to the library and get an
armful of books. Read about the basics of preparation and glazes, hand
building and then wheel turning. If you find any books you like, look for
them used on amazon.com. We've bought 4 books that way that we refer to
often. We also found videos at the library that were very useful. The rest
is just practice. Clay is so cheap that your risk factor is very low.

Tom

Old November 28th 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

http://www.powells.com/
http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-0823005917-0

Is a great place to buy used books. I would recommend that you start with
handbuilding especially if you do not have an instructor. Of course I think
that is how everyone should start. You can get immediate (or almost
immediate) gratification and you find out if you really do like playing in
the mud.

Donna

.. .

Old November 28th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

More examples of Powells used books

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...3-0754806197-0
under crafts ceramic technique
http://www.powells.com/subsection/Cr...Technique.html

"DKat" wrote in message
http://www.powells.com/
http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-0823005917-0

Is a great place to buy used books. I would recommend that you start with
handbuilding especially if you do not have an instructor. Of course I
think that is how everyone should start. You can get immediate (or
almost immediate) gratification and you find out if you really do like
playing in the mud.

Donna

.. .

Old November 29th 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

If you can find it, there is a book called 'Getting into Pots' by George and
Nancy Wettlaufer, that is a wealth of information for the beginner. It also
has easy to follow plans to build a slab roller, which I built. It works
great and cost almost nothing. It's out of print but I found mine on the
net. isbn is 0-13-354704-3 in paperback form and 0-13-354712-4 in hardback.

Good luck,

Tom

"DKat" wrote in message
http://www.powells.com/
http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-0823005917-0

Is a great place to buy used books. I would recommend that you start with
handbuilding especially if you do not have an instructor. Of course I
think that is how everyone should start. You can get immediate (or
almost immediate) gratification and you find out if you really do like
playing in the mud.

Donna

.. .

Old November 29th 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

a lot of libraries have videos you can check out as well as books.

don't forget to check their video section.

~ and in southern california, the videos are free for a week as well.

see ya

steve

Old December 1st 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Thank you Tom. I found the book you recommended on Amazon that I bought
for $15.00. The plans for the slab roller sound interesting and I look
forward to building one.

Also, I want to thank the others who responded for taking time to
provide names of other books as well. I've also loaded up my library
with "how to" pottery books they suggested. I'll be looking through
these books to see if there are any plans for potters wheels & kilns.

Thanks again,

John