binding question - what is "facing" a binding??

Old September 26th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default binding question - what is "facing" a binding??

It's like a garment facing, and you end up with a 2" (minus seam allowances)
strip around the edge on the back side.
A regular doublefold binding is less trouble IMO and certainly more durable.
And who says it has to match the border?
Roberta in D

"mini Mini" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. 54...
hi,
while surfing i came across this site with quilting tips. but this tip I
don't quite understand. Can someone explain what this is about?

"Stuck trying to figure out what color to use for a binding? Don't want
detract from the quilt but don't have enough of the border fabric so that
the binding won't show? Remember you don't have to add a binging, you can
use a facing instead! Just cut your strips 2" wide, do not fold in half,
sew on to the front as you would a binding, BUT clip the strip at the
corner and PIVOT with needle down to continue sewing the next side. Then
turn the whole thing to the back, mitering the corners, folding under
about
1/4" and hand sewing the facing to the back. If you like, you can use
monofilament thread (clear or dark, whatever suits your border color) and
top stitch very close to the edge to keep the facing turned to the back!
Voila! Your quilt is "un-binded"! Or as my kids used to say "VIOLA"."

quoted from:
http://www.bettyalofs.com/free-tips-details.php?ID=12

tia,
Emilia

Old September 26th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

I agree. I only once faced a binding (on a very small wall hanging). I'd
rather put regular binding on any day.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
[...]

Border and binding help - How do you do them? Charlotte Hippen Quilting 47 March 3rd 07 06:15 AM
Binding Debbie Quilting 13 September 26th 06 12:22 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 22nd 05 07:24 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Polly S. Beads 0 April 22nd 05 06:29 AM
Binding off question Janise Ross Yarn 6 January 25th 04 05:40 PM