getting started, the what's and how's

Old September 13th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
GO

Default getting started, the what's and how's

Hi all,

Any idea on the cost of getting started with making my own pottery?

Interested in getting a kiln, potter wheel and various tools.

Comments appreciated.

GO
Old September 13th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Coggins

G'Day Go,
It all depends where you live!!!
Yours in clay Elaine.

Old September 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

GO wrote:
Hi all,

Any idea on the cost of getting started with making my own pottery?

Interested in getting a kiln, potter wheel and various tools.

Comments appreciated.

GO

Hi GO;
Also depends on how much you already know. Do you need to take
classes? Will you need an electrician to come and upgrade your
electrical supply fo your kiln? If you are starting from 0 you can
probably get by with about $5,000 to start. Maybe you will find some
used equiptment and that would be cheaper. Good luck.

Sandi

Old September 13th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"GO" wrote in message
Hi all,

Any idea on the cost of getting started with making my own pottery?

Interested in getting a kiln, potter wheel and various tools.

You don't say much about how much you know about pottery and throwing and
firing, or if you are even sure you enjoy it.

I would definitely suggest that you go slow on getting equipment. If you
take your time, you can probably find very good used equipment at a pottery
supplier (refurbished) or even on e-bay. Also, if you have vocational
schools near you, or even high schools, check firstly if they can fire your
stuff for you. Kilns are a big investment. Also check if it is possible for
you to take courses there - or even just to borrow the pottery workshop
outside the normal hours of use in order to make your own stuff and not have
to transport it back and forth.

I will be making several videos on YouTube about starting out with pottery
(I am no expert, I just know what I have experienced myself and read mainly
on this group and in books) - with very basic equipment - normal household
stuff. This won't be for throwing, of course, but there are many other ways
to make something you want to out of clay.

The video isn't edited yet, but you can check if it is there (will be called
Potery 101) within a week or so.
http://www.youtube.com/marihani

Oh yes - also, vocational schools and high schools often replace their
equipment and you might be able to get something a bit cheaper that way.

Tell us more about where you are at pottery-wise and geographically, and I
am sure you will get some more helpful hints.

Marianne

Old September 14th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
GO

Thanks Marianne,

I have done pottery at school and really enjoyed it. I love working with
clay and the finished products. No doubt it has been sometime, however I
keep gravitating back to the idea of doing it on the side as a hobby and
little earner..

You give some good ideas--thanks. I no doubt will need to go to classes
to learn more and get a feel for it, however am interested in seeing if
there are any home made equipment ideas out there too. No doubt the
great pottery of the past wasn't made with the latest and greatest of
our age ;-)

I do look forward to your videos and have made the page a favourite for
me to visit from time to time. Many thanks for you answers and comments.

I am based in Brisbane Australia.

GO

Old September 14th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Coggins

Hi again Go
I am in the Caboolture area, I was teaching pottery and sculpture here for
many years known as Beachmere Pottery, also BPQ Kilns now semi retired,
maybe we can help, if you contact me or I can contact you.
Yours in clay Elaine

"GO" wrote in message
Thanks Marianne,

I have done pottery at school and really enjoyed it. I love working with
clay and the finished products. No doubt it has been sometime, however I
keep gravitating back to the idea of doing it on the side as a hobby and
little earner..

You give some good ideas--thanks. I no doubt will need to go to classes to
learn more and get a feel for it, however am interested in seeing if there
are any home made equipment ideas out there too. No doubt the great
pottery of the past wasn't made with the latest and greatest of our age
;-)

Old September 14th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"GO" wrote in message
Thanks Marianne,

I have done pottery at school and really enjoyed it. I love working with
clay and the finished products. No doubt it has been sometime, however I
keep gravitating back to the idea of doing it on the side as a hobby and
little earner..

You are about at where I was when I wanted to set up my own little workshop,
then. All I had to start with was some tools and the wheel that I bought
cheap from my teacher.

I see you have gotten a response under here from Elaine. Hope that works out
well!

Do be careful not to invest too much in the beginning. If you don't watch
out, this can become a pretttty expensive hobby!

You give some good ideas--thanks. I no doubt will need to go to classes to
learn more and get a feel for it, however am interested in seeing if there
are any home made equipment ideas out there too. No doubt the great
pottery of the past wasn't made with the latest and greatest of our age
;-)

I have had 3 different teachers in the past 5 years. The one I have now is
so diverse in her knowledge, she's more like 5 teachers in one! Hehe! I
never do stop learning, and the time spent with others who also love pottery
is definitely quality time. I also get inspiration from what they are
making. Plus that I can ask my teacher about things I am wondering about,
from oven temperatures to repairing stuff that has gone wrong, etc.

I think I will show either coil building or pinching in my next "pottery
101". You are so right about it being totally possible to make nice things
without a lot of tools!

I do look forward to your videos and have made the page a favourite for me
to visit from time to time. Many thanks for you answers and comments.

That's great! You just gave me the push I needed to get editing that first
101-video! Hehe!

I am based in Brisbane Australia.

Well, then! G'day! :-D

Keep smiling