Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Old March 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Deb

Default Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Hi,

Which way does a potter's wheel turn, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Thanks

Deb

Old March 28th 04, 10:43 PM
Uncle John

wrote in
news
Some have reverses for righties or lefties, but standard for right
handed throwers is clockwise.
Simon

Other way round. Anti clockwise for right handed. Left hand in centre,
right hand on the outside

JW
Old March 29th 04, 12:54 AM
sandi

"Deb" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Which way does a potter's wheel turn, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Thanks

Deb

Counterclockwise in U.S. Some wheels have the capability of clockwise
by switching a wire underneath the wheel.
Sandi
Old March 29th 04, 02:44 AM

You're absolutely right - counter-clockwise. Sorry, must be visually
dyslexic. My Pacifica has a reverse and I think Shimpos do as well. Not
sure about the others.
Simon
"Uncle John" wrote in message
wrote in
news

Old March 29th 04, 07:42 AM
Uncle John

wrote in news:YlL9c.6984$1A6.283077
@news20.bellglobal.com:

You're absolutely right - counter-clockwise. Sorry, must be visually
dyslexic. My Pacifica has a reverse and I think Shimpos do as well. Not

Having a wheel that can reverse must be a joy forever especially when it
comes to trimming

JW

Old March 29th 04, 07:27 PM
annemarie

"Uncle John" wrote in message
wrote in news:YlL9c.6984$1A6.283077
@news20.bellglobal.com:

You're absolutely right - counter-clockwise. Sorry, must be visually
dyslexic. My Pacifica has a reverse and I think Shimpos do as well.

Not

Having a wheel that can reverse must be a joy forever especially when it
comes to trimming

JW

Heck trimming with it going clockwise? I would find that really difficult.
I have attempted to throw on a wheel when it is going clockwise when I have
been teaching left handed people and it is terrible. I have to stop the
wheel and change it ) Simply can't do it. So why would trimming be
better clockwise?

Old March 29th 04, 08:03 PM
D Kat

My Shimpo has both directions on it. I accidently turned it on the wrong
way and could not figure out for a bit what felt "off". I think I actually
was centering better with it in reverse (forward for Japan - reverse for
U.S.)... DKat

wrote in message
.. .
You're absolutely right - counter-clockwise. Sorry, must be visually
dyslexic. My Pacifica has a reverse and I think Shimpos do as well. Not
sure about the others.
Simon
"Uncle John" wrote in message
wrote in
news

Old March 29th 04, 08:35 PM
Uncle John

"D Kat" wrote in
:

My Shimpo has both directions on it. I accidently turned it on the
wrong way and could not figure out for a bit what felt "off". I think
I actually was centering better with it in reverse (forward for Japan
- reverse for U.S.)... DKat

I wonder if you centred clockwise and then threw anti clockwise if the
walls of the pot would be stronger and less likely to to go out of shape
particylarly on wide bowls

JW