Bigger than size 8 beads?

Old September 7th 03, 03:02 PM
ally

Default Bigger than size 8 beads?

Does anyone know if there are glass beads available in a bigger than
size 8?

I am currently using 8's as beaded ball fasteners for things. I am just
making a bunch of balls up to use as beads and I thought how nice bigger
ones would be. I dont really want to use wood or plastic inners hence
my question.

:-)
--
ally
website: www.alcom.demon.co.uk
Old September 7th 03, 04:29 PM
Tante Lina

ally wrote in message ...
Does anyone know if there are glass beads available in a bigger than
size 8?

I am currently using 8's as beaded ball fasteners for things. I am just
making a bunch of balls up to use as beads and I thought how nice bigger
ones would be. I dont really want to use wood or plastic inners hence
my question.

Shipwreck has them up to 1/0.

* TL *

Old September 7th 03, 05:45 PM
ally

In article , Kathy N-
V writes
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:02:50 -0400, ally wrote
(in message ):

Does anyone know if there are glass beads available in a bigger than
size 8?

I am currently using 8's as beaded ball fasteners for things. I am just
making a bunch of balls up to use as beads and I thought how nice bigger
ones would be. I dont really want to use wood or plastic inners hence
my question.

-)

Lots of beads larger than a size 8/0. If you're just thinking seed beads,
here's a page on shipwreck.com that shows all the different sizes available
in just Czech Rocailles:

http://shipwreck.com/?browser_id=8ae...conte nt=Seed
2.html

If you include other beads that aren't seeds, the sky's the limit in how big
you can go.

Kathy N-V

Thanks Kathy thats just what I was after - big seed beads.

Shipwreck seem to do 3 and 1's so how big would they be in comparison to
a 6? I have 6's but never seen the other sizes to know how big they
would be.

:-)
Old September 7th 03, 08:09 PM
Christina Peterson

Bead "sizes" are like gauges in wire. It's how many will fit in a certain
measure. I think the measure is an inch. Ten size 10 beads, eight size
8s. I don't remember seeing size 7, but I commonly use size 6, and
sometimes size 5.
I haven't measured, but I think a size 6 bead is about 4mm.

Tina

Old September 7th 03, 08:21 PM
EL

Seed beads come in sizes 1/0 to 24/0, although I don't think you can really
buy size 24/0 any more.

The number of beads to the inch has NOTHING to do with their size.

Repeating from an earlier post, the usually accepted explanation for seed
bead sizes is that there used to be a standard bead size, which was called
the null bead, or 0 bead. Larger size beads were 1's, 2,'s, etc. When they
started making smaller sizes they added zeros as they got smaller -- a 00
bead, a 000 bead, a 0000
bead, a 00000 bead, etc. Since it gets a bit tedious to write and count
zeros, they began to refer to beads by the number of zeros they had, so a
000000 bead became a 6/0 bead, a 00000000 bead is an 8/0 bead, etc.

There's a chart at http://www.thatbeadlady.com/seedbeads.htm that covers 6/0
through 15/0.

Old September 7th 03, 08:24 PM
EL

nope, it's not measure per inch. There are about 12 8/0's to an inch and
17-18 11/0's to an inch. There's a chart at
http://www.thatbeadlady.com/seedbeads.htm, and being somewhat obsessive
compulsive, I've verified the measurements with my own little tape measure.

Old September 8th 03, 06:08 AM
Kaytee

In article , ally
writes:

Does anyone know if there are glass beads available in a bigger than
size 8?

Lots of them...
6/0 seed beads are fairly common, and there are also 5/0, 4/0 and 1/0 available
some places (General Bead has them). Pressed glass rounds (druks) come in 4mm
through about 14mm, and sometimes larger.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities